Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Templeton, Atascadero, rural Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo. The area looks like something out of a Steinbeck novel (if you take away the box stores and strip malls). Paso Robles can't be compared to L.A. as Paso is the boonies and L.A. is the city. Of COURSE L.A. has a bajillion more things to do. It's got a nice little downtown and once a year has an awesome fair with A-list musical acts. Housing in Paso is lower than most of L.A. Job market is dismal but if you already have a job, that isn't a problem. Schools are decent. Templeton is a burg, schools are mediocre. Summers in Paso Robles are hot. Nights are almost always very cool. Depending on the year you can get mostly 90's and some 100's or possibly many triple digit days. You never know. Summers are like what you're already used to. Winters have a good number of frosty mornings but rarely a deep freeze. It snows maybe once every 15 or 20 years and it's not much. North County is very conservative with an abundance of fundamentalist chiristian churches. This may be a plus or minus for you. The biggest complaint I STILL hear from kids in the North County is that there isn't anything to do.

San Luis Obispo is in another catagory. It's gorgeous. Go south of the Cuesta Grade and everything changes...night and day. The social climate is a lot different (doesn't have the <ducks flying objects> redneck element). Housing prices are a little higher. It's a college town. The weather is AWESOME with mild winters and warm summers, seldom ever hot. You don't need a/c whereas in the North County it's a necessity. If it was me...I'd live in SLO and commute. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. You're close to the beach and get the ocean influence. There's a lovely walkable downtown and a little more to do for your kids (and you). SLO schools are the best of the bunch.

As far as museums...you're pretty much outta luck in SLO County. You can take them to Hearst Castle. It's the most vulgar display of wealth I've ever seen and EVERYONE should see it at least once. You can take day trips to L.A. (4hrs by car) and we have over 350 museums here.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 02-27-2008 at 12:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,470 times
Default I own a place in Paso,,but live in Santa Cruz, I prefer santa cruz, much more out door things to do. Check out SC.

I have a house in Paso Robles, that was given to me this year. I like the place. Though, I live in Santa Cruz, and it's the best.
Lots of young family's. Lots of things to do in Nature you would love it here. Come see for yourself. It is although more $$$ then the paso area as far as cost of living goes.
Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerners View Post
My husband may possibly be practicing Dentistry there. We live in Pennsylvania right now, but my husband is from Long Beach, and I am from Utah and we are really looking forward to coming back to the west. I worry about the cost of living, and the social scene. I am really looking for a community of young families to grow up with my children. I'm also looking for an area where there are fun places to take my family. We enjoy pretty much anything, but I don't want to spend my days at the local Mcdonald play land. My idea of a good time with the kids are museams, and fun indoor activities during the cold season, and outdoor activites in the summer. How hot are we talking in the summer? Coming from Utah, I am used to low 100's and upper 90's. The schools are also very important. I have heard that California schools aren't that great, and we should just plan on private. Any more info would be great!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
If you are concerned with cost of living, I would not move to San Luis Obispo. It is too expensive in comparison to real estate in Paso Robles. I like Paso because it does have that rural feel to it, and as one poster wrote, there is Nacimiento Lake about 30 minutes out of town. Where you can go camping, or rent a boat for the day. There is also Lake San Antonio which is just 15 minutes further. There is two very nice lake literally minutes apart. I would much rather live in Paso or Atascadero.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
You like wealthy cities, then SLO is for you.

You want a city, malls, entertainment, gangs, drugs, and partying then LA is for you.

If you want a town with young families, a good school, cheap living, and cheap shopping then Paso is for you. You are not going to see Macy's and all those clothing stores, but we are getting a Costco and we have a Trader Joes.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
I used to do a lot of fishin', campin' with my youngsters over at Naciemiento, San Antonio Lakes & Hunter Liggett ponds. We lived in Monterey, but i visited friends in Camp Roberts long ago.

When your young'uns are good take them fer a FUN Day...go over to I-5 grapevine to Magic Mountain (Rollercoasters)...funfunfun

Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerners View Post
Am I even in the right forum? I didn't find anything for central coastal. We are possibly moving to Paso Robles? Yes, I'm nervous! I never imagined living here the rest of my life. I need info!!! I have 3 young children--is this a place with a lot of young families? Is there anything to do there? Is there good shopping? Is the cost of living much more affordable than L.A.? Are the schools good? Should I just run away before get into something I'm not too happy with? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

The climate in Paso will be very similar to Utah in the summer, but no snow/ice in the winter. You'd love it, lots of outdoor stuff to do. Beaches, hiking are only 20-30 mins away. Cal Poly SLO and the city of SLO will have lots of events/festivals etc etc. Mountains/snow skiing only 1.5-2 hrs away. Santa Barbara, Monterey only two hours away. LA & SF 4 hours.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM

I was just curious about the main differences between Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo.

What are the differences between Cuesta College campus and North County Campus? They seem to offer the same classes, but in smaller amounts at the North County campus.

What is the difference between airports?

Many have said that Paso Robles is just another commuter bedroom community to SLO, but is their a chance this will change? The city just built the court house, and there are plans for a Costco to open in Paso Robles.

I realize SLO will always have a little edge over Paso because it has more population and more things to do because of the college such as more clothing stores for the younger generation and the night club.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I was just curious about the main differences between Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo.

What are the differences between Cuesta College campus and North County Campus? They seem to offer the same classes, but in smaller amounts at the North County campus.

What is the difference between airports?

Many have said that Paso Robles is just another commuter bedroom community to SLO, but is their a chance this will change? The city just built the court house, and there are plans for a Costco to open in Paso Robles.

I realize SLO will always have a little edge over Paso because it has more population and more things to do because of the college such as more clothing stores for the younger generation and the night club.
This is all personal opinion:

Well, SLO has cooler weather, a MUCH better downtown, and a prettier landscape to Paso. I went to Cuesta in Paso for a few classes a few years back, and the SLO campus is just soooo much nicer.

Regarding the airports, I work in the industry and fly into SPB and PRB and the flights in are no comparison. The beach, the mountains and and general scenery make SBP a much nicer airport to fly into. I may be biased though

Honestly, I really can't stand Paso. You literally have to drag me kicking and screaming to go north of Atascadero, and the only reason I go that far is because my parents live there. I don't care about 'shopping' or 'nightlife' or any of that... but just in general south county is a nicer place to be. There are just too many look alike strip malls, ugly shopping centers and generic chain restaurants. Yick.

It's just not my scene.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is all personal opinion:

Well, SLO has cooler weather, a MUCH better downtown, and a prettier landscape to Paso. I went to Cuesta in Paso for a few classes a few years back, and the SLO campus is just soooo much nicer.

Regarding the airports, I work in the industry and fly into SPB and PRB and the flights in are no comparison. The beach, the mountains and and general scenery make SBP a much nicer airport to fly into. I may be biased though

Honestly, I really can't stand Paso. You literally have to drag me kicking and screaming to go north of Atascadero, and the only reason I go that far is because my parents live there. I don't care about 'shopping' or 'nightlife' or any of that... but just in general south county is a nicer place to be. There are just too many look alike strip malls, ugly shopping centers and generic chain restaurants. Yick.

It's just not my scene.
Yeah, that did come out bias but its okay.

I am referring to the flights differing with the Paso and SLO airports. What companies are at each airport, does Paso go to LAX, is SLO's bigger? Does Paso go to the SF? What does South County campus have that North County campus doesn't have? They seem to offer similar classes, but Cuesta has more classes and the sport's complexes and the theater.

I agree SLO has a prettier landscape and a more entertaining downtown. Paso's downtown cators to a different crowd, so their downtown is going to be different. I personally can't help liking SLO's downtown more because I am in that college age range, but after going to college in SoCal and getting screwed over in the party crowd I don't like it as much. Again, I still am down with SLO's night life and the stores and restaurants that appeal to my age. If I look past what my age range likes I see Paso and the the bedroom communitys as a better place.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:35 PM

227 posts, read 146,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The climate in Paso will be very similar to Utah in the summer, but no snow/ice in the winter. You'd love it, lots of outdoor stuff to do. Beaches, hiking are only 20-30 mins away. Cal Poly SLO and the city of SLO will have lots of events/festivals etc etc. Mountains/snow skiing only 1.5-2 hrs away. Santa Barbara, Monterey only two hours away. LA & SF 4 hours.
below freezing weather in Paso is common in late October through march. similar to Lancaster area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California