Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you raise your family?
City living 17 36.96%
Country living 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,258 times

Advertisements

We have two kids (4yr and 1yr). Our income would remain the same, both houses are the same cost and both areas have great schools..
Where would you raise your family?
1. City living-San Diego. Small 1,000 sq foot house one mile to beach.
2. Country living- northern ca. Very small town (20 min to closest grocery store) Large 3,000 sq foot house on 3 acres. It does snow here!

City living or country living to raise kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 PM

1,676 posts, read 951,035 times
If I could afford it, city living in San Diego because of the weather/beach. But country living does have an appeal to it, so I voted that one. Safer, quieter, cheaper.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,708,000 times
City. Way more to do. And believe me, kids can get in trouble in the woods, too LOL. My daughter graduated from a small school in the mountains in WA - her graduating class had 12 kids in it. Believe me, they got in lots of trouble. I think they actually get more inventive than kids in the city. And she was involved in sports and all sorts of stuff.

But, the cliques in small towns can be really rough. And if your kids get involved in any sports or clubs, etc., the driving time will kill you.

Plus, think about getting home and realizing you forgot to buy milk when you were at the store......

And acreage is a heck of a lot of work. As are huge gardens and livestock.

I've done both, and now I enjoy the conveniences of being in town. I live in a small town, now, (5,000 pop) and there's a lot I like about it. And, I can walk to the beach in 5 mins :-) But, I do miss lots of entertainment options and better shopping options. Miss my Trader Joe's!

Old 09-20-2016, 11:17 PM

8,431 posts, read 7,733,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsandaminpin View Post
We have two kids (4yr and 1yr). Our income would remain the same, both houses are the same cost and both areas have great schools..
Where would you raise your family?
2. Country living- northern ca. Very small town (20 min to closest grocery store) Large 3,000 sq foot house on 3 acres. It does snow here!

City living or country living to raise kids?
\

You know, there ARE places in San Diego County that offer "country living." In fact, I live in one such place (Jamul). We are 30 minutes from downtown San Diego, have 4 acres of land, a 3500 square foot house, and our kids grew up riding horses in the mountains and raising animals for 4-h. The supermarket and stores are just 10 minutes away. And, the price of houses here is MUCH more reasonable than houses on the coast. Oh, and yeah, we get the occasional snow too.

Look at: Jamul, Ramona, Valley Center, Fallbrook, Alpine, Harbison Canyon, Descanso, Pine Valley, Crest, Blosson Valley, Julian, even parts of Poway, Escondido, Lakeside and El Cajon.

There's plenty of small town "country living" right here in San Diego County for those who look beyond the beach areas.

(By the way, my kids, now in their late 20s, loved growing up in a semi-rural area. They never lacked for things to do, and had plenty of friends to hang out with. They're happy, successful people. And they can rope cows from horseback when necessary. )

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-21-2016 at 12:19 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 09:38 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,609,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, the cliques in small towns can be really rough. And if your kids get involved in any sports or clubs, etc., the driving time will kill you.
At ages 1 and 4, cliques are not an issue. By the time they are 10 they will be a part of a clique! bringing such young kids into a small town will result in them being part of a community in a special way. They will be viewed by their peers as "born and raised" in the town. More than simply being a Local.
I'd rather do a 10 mile 20 minute drive on traffic free rural roads than a 3 mile 20 minute drive on busy city streets any day.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM

3,251 posts, read 6,343,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsandaminpin View Post
How about #3, City living-San Diego. Average sized 2,000 sq. foot house 10 miles from the beach with good schools? Search real estate sites for zip code 92124.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,514,625 times
In the country now.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
\

You know, there ARE places in San Diego County that offer "country living." In fact, I live in one such place (Jamul). We are 30 minutes from downtown San Diego, have 4 acres of land, a 3500 square foot house, and our kids grew up riding horses in the mountains and raising animals for 4-h. The supermarket and stores are just 10 minutes away. And, the price of houses here is MUCH more reasonable than houses on the coast. Oh, and yeah, we get the occasional snow too.

Look at: Jamul, Ramona, Valley Center, Fallbrook, Alpine, Harbison Canyon, Descanso, Pine Valley, Crest, Blosson Valley, Julian, even parts of Poway, Escondido, Lakeside and El Cajon.

There's plenty of small town "country living" right here in San Diego County for those who look beyond the beach areas.

(By the way, my kids, now in their late 20s, loved growing up in a semi-rural area. They never lacked for things to do, and had plenty of friends to hang out with. They're happy, successful people. And they can rope cows from horseback when necessary. )

Listen to RosieSD on this one, if you want to raise kids in SD Co., specifically. Signed, "A veteran of that war".

Old 09-24-2016, 03:40 AM

977 posts, read 1,017,290 times
I'm currently 18 I grew up in part in a small town in Idaho, and then spend my later years in Seattle. Being in a small town definitely gives kids a community feel/home. I think it's better to raise kids in a small town/small city. But you should take them to cities for vacation often so they get to see more of the "real world" And have experiences they wouldn't have in the small town/city. But the small city/town is MUCH better for families!

Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,326,112 times
If it were me making that choice, I'd go with small town. As a kid I grew up in a large CA city, currently live in Idaho, have since 1991 and wouldn't trade it for the world!! I appreciate all four seasons and what they each have to offer.

Being located in CA, you have the option to be able to visit the big cities basically anytime you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California