Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 PM

500 posts, read 841,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1111 View Post
Hi! I recently moved to the Mount Shasta area. I am similar to you being from the Bay Area and vegetarian. no matter where you go in the world you will always find good people. This area is no exception. Unfortunately I have found that there are a lot of low quality people in the Mount Shasta area. By low-quality I mean unintelligent, ignorant, unsophisticated, bigoted, homophobic. I came here to live by the majestic mountain and to escape the chaos and high prices of urban living. It has been nearly two years and I have learned a lot about myself. The lack of amenities and the extremely low-caliber of community makes it unsustainable for me to continue living here. You will have a similar experience if you move here, I can tell from how I perceive your energy. In addition to the fundamentalist, prejudice 'Creepy-Christians' in this area you also get Super-Woo-Woo New Agers. Talk about whip-lash! A lot of polarity here. I miss being around level headed, thoughtful and intelligent people. Time to move!!!
Tell me about it....If you just visit briefly a couple of times, it may seem like a charming town, but Mt Shasta is a source of some real ghetto experience. No need to drive to LA. For example, in Rite Aid, uneducated, uncouth ghetto thug employees require people to surrender bags, with whatever cash, laptops contaning confidential corporate info, IDs, to be "stored" by them, etc and don't even let them peacefully refuse and walk out of the store, harassing them...never mind if you're a professional making enough not to need to steal their Chinese-made cheap crap. Or, the junkies all over town, police doing nothing about it (bag requirement is related to this ghetto-fication of the city, probably). Almost naked junkie sitting by Visitor Center menacing visitors, etc. Chief of Police proposing "Transients Welcoming Program" (this is not a joke). This will be like Chico soon, full of homeless camps and drugs. Much better to be in a small town way out there, than in this "Bay Area by the interstate 5"... too many Bay Area transplants had ruined the place already, it's like South Lake Tahoe in the making, plus the transients which are not in Tahoe. No, thanks ,I can take 350K for home puchase somewhere else, where it's actually peaceful and where people respect each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 PM

82 posts, read 94,590 times
Ever thought instead of the coast in northern CA? If you want a college-influenced town with a huge liberal element, consider Arcata. Arcata itself is very expensive because of the university but there are surrounding towns that are reasonable, given the caveat that California in general is not reasonable.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM

82 posts, read 94,590 times
Default An more progressive option

Quote:
Hi! I recently moved to the Mount Shasta area. I am similar to you being from the Bay Area and vegetarian. no matter where you go in the world you will always find good people. This area is no exception. Unfortunately I have found that there are a lot of low quality people in the Mount Shasta area. By low-quality I mean unintelligent, ignorant, unsophisticated, bigoted, homophobic. I came here to live by the majestic mountain and to escape the chaos and high prices of urban living. It has been nearly two years and I have learned a lot about myself. The lack of amenities and the extremely low-caliber of community makes it unsustainable for me to continue living here. You will have a similar experience if you move here, I can tell from how I perceive your energy. In addition to the fundamentalist, prejudice 'Creepy-Christians' in this area you also get Super-Woo-Woo New Agers. Talk about whip-lash! A lot of polarity here. I miss being around level headed, thoughtful and intelligent people. Time to move!!!

I imagine (since you wrote this in 2016) that you've moved by now. If not (or maybe even if you have), you might consider Humboldt County. There's Garberville in southern Humboldt but it gets quite hot there in summer and might be too hippy-dippy for you but progressive-left elements are fairly educated and level-headed, just a bit radical.

The best area, in my view, is the Humboldt Bay Area. Although the main town (Eureka, 28,000, the largest in the county) has conservative elements, it has many progressives too. Arcata, home of Humboldt Stated University can be a bit too New Agey but with the university there, there a many older more well-balanced liberals/progressives.

I spent years dreaming of a very rural, even alpine or forest life but what I have found is that many of the people in those area are ranchers and loggers and hunters who don't like liberals. I've never lived in the town of Mt. Shasta but it's quite liberal I hear....on the other hand, too New Age, maybe. A poorer version of Sedona.

We live just north of Arcata where houses cost less. The only thing about the Humboldt coast--maybe especially for people from southern California, is the 38-42' of rain and some fog.
Compromise seems the name of the game. I once asked a guy who knew both the Arcata area and the Southwest if there was a place in the Southwest that was like Arcata but drier. Without hesitating a second, he said "Durango, CO." Maybe but it's expensive there. And isolated.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFog View Post
I imagine (since you wrote this in 2016) that you've moved by now. If not (or maybe even if you have), you might consider Humboldt County. There's Garberville in southern Humboldt but it gets quite hot there in summer and might be too hippy-dippy for you but progressive-left elements are fairly educated and level-headed, just a bit radical.

The best area, in my view, is the Humboldt Bay Area. Although the main town (Eureka, 28,000, the largest in the county) has conservative elements, it has many progressives too. Arcata, home of Humboldt Stated University can be a bit too New Agey but with the university there, there a many older more well-balanced liberals/progressives.

I spent years dreaming of a very rural, even alpine or forest life but what I have found is that many of the people in those area are ranchers and loggers and hunters who don't like liberals. I've never lived in the town of Mt. Shasta but it's quite liberal I hear....on the other hand, too New Age, maybe. A poorer version of Sedona.

We live just north of Arcata where houses cost less. The only thing about the Humboldt coast--maybe especially for people from southern California, is the 38-42' of rain and some fog.
Compromise seems the name of the game. I once asked a guy who knew both the Arcata area and the Southwest if there was a place in the Southwest that was like Arcata but drier. Without hesitating a second, he said "Durango, CO." Maybe but it's expensive there. And isolated.
Hi, N. Fog. What do you think of McKinleyville? I hear it's been growing leaps and bounds (relatively) the last few years. And what about Trinidad and Westhaven? I've been studying these areas online. Trinidad/Westhaven seems to have some interesting community activities, an arts center, museum. Seems like there's good things going on.

And how's the medical care in the area? The hospital in Arcata (along with the one in Eureka) gets very mixed reviews, almost scary, lol, but it seems that even good hospitals get complaints, so I don't know how to interpret that.

Does Humboldt have a good number of farms? Are there a lot of locally-grown products in the grocery stores? Is there a food co-op?

Thanks for any info you could provide.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default second-hand impressions

I have a friend who loves the Mt Shasta area and considered moving there
(his plans have changed now, but not for reasons relating to Mt Shasta).

He's white, his wife is Asian, but evidently in their visits they didn't encounter any hostility on that score.

The only downside of the area he mentioned was that they couldn't find any halfway-good restaurants

Old 05-03-2019, 08:46 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

He's white, his wife is Asian, but evidently in their visits they didn't encounter any hostility on that score.

The only downside of the area he
mentioned was that they couldn't find any halfway-good restaurants

cook at home.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

The only downside of the area he mentioned was that they couldn't find any halfway-good restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
cook at home.
That's what I'd do, but that's not my friend's M.O.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,761 times
Hello,

People who are Judgmental will always see the difficulties life presents, the difficulties other people with different views present. We live in a world were 2 billion human being live without water without electricity. We live in a world where 3500 children die of starvation every single day. Three million a year, and the list goes on. If you are OK with yourself within, then it should be pretty easy to live in such a Spiritual place like Mount Shasta, perhaps all those supposed so called poor unintelligent people are there for the same reason people with lots of intelligence and plenty of money are there. We are all oneness, we are all trying to figure who we are, why we are, and where we are. As for the supposed Super-woo-woo New agers, even the mere consideration that we would call them that, .. that we would judge them for there views and ways of living, is profoundly ignorant. Jut being in this body, just living on this planet that moves at a break neck speed, around a Sun at 68,000 miles an hour is Woo-Woo. Best to keep an open heart, for it is there that you will truly learn who you are, why you are and where you are.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heal me View Post
Hello,

People who are Judgmental will always see the difficulties life presents, the difficulties other people with different views present. We live in a world were 2 billion human being live without water without electricity. We live in a world where 3500 children die of starvation every single day. Three million a year, and the list goes on. If you are OK with yourself within, then it should be pretty easy to live in such a Spiritual place like Mount Shasta, perhaps all those supposed so called poor unintelligent people are there for the same reason people with lots of intelligence and plenty of money are there. We are all oneness, we are all trying to figure who we are, why we are, and where we are. As for the supposed Super-woo-woo New agers, even the mere consideration that we would call them that, .. that we would judge them for there views and ways of living, is profoundly ignorant. Jut being in this body, just living on this planet that moves at a break neck speed, around a Sun at 68,000 miles an hour is Woo-Woo. Best to keep an open heart, for it is there that you will truly learn who you are, why you are and where you are.
Thank you for this message. Now, since it seems clear that you live there, could you tell us how the water supply has been the last five or six years, and the weather? Have summers been hotter, generally?

Old 11-03-2020, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,878 times
Quote:
Hello Sam1111 - I am in bay area for past 14 years and now considering moving somewhere out where rents are affordable and close to nature. So would love to hear your recommendations on Mt Shasta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California