Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 PM

31 posts, read 65,831 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Mount Shasta with my dog (I am female). I am from the Bay Area/wine country. I'm not a hippy but I'm pretty crunchy, liberal, vegan, and outdoorsy. I want to emphasize that I am from the country so I am cool with country folk, so-called rednecks, and other people who are different than me and live lifestyles that are really different than mine.

However, I think there is probably a HUGE difference between Siskiyou and Sonoma County, in terms of lifestyle, climate, personality, values, and so on. I think Mount Shasta is probably the best place to be a sort of weirdo but I also know two things - I've been told people in Siskiyou are independent and live and let live, BUT I've also been told by someone who offered me a place to live in Montague not to open my mouth around there and to be very careful about things I say as people don't tolerate difference up there.

I want to live somewhere I am comfortable being myself. But at the same time I want to fit in as well.

What I like about Mt. Shasta is ... well, Mount Shasta. It's good energy, its beauty, the lakes and creeks in the area, the small population, the way people seem to love being outdoors, and love dogs.

It's not Modoc County-like, I hope. That is a VERY conservative, slightly frightening place in my opinion. My experience of Mount Shasta has been positive. But I've also h ad people reach out to me and tell me that most Bay Area transplants leave at the first hint of winter and don't end up staying. I can understand that to some degree as I'm not a huge fan of cold and snow. This would only be a year long move, for the experience.

What tips can you give on - outdoor adventures, making the move, staying in touch with people 5 hours south, making new friends, building a community, making the most of my experience up north? I should add that I'm an artist and writer and would love to build community with all kinds of people but particularly connect with other artists, writers, environmentalists, kayakers, hikers, spiritualists, etc.

I think Siskiyou is so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 PM

194 posts, read 505,744 times
Any of those towns are gorgeous and it's quick access to the big outdoors - check out the Trinity Alps, Castle Crags, Mt. Eddy, Shasta, the Marlbles, McCloud and Burney Falls, etc. Also, head up to Ashland in OR for the Shakespeare Festival.

You'll probably like the towns of Mt. Shasta and Dunsmuir (hang with PCT through-hikers in July/August) and could make it Yreka. Montague, Weed, McCloud, Etna, and Ft. Jones are pretty towns but you'd have to drive to get to amenities.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Mt. Shasta might work Chill out: Mount Shasta top hippie city in the U.S.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I would only caution you about the heat, OP. It's extremely hot for 5-6 months of the year, and it gets into the 100's in the area. I was there last October, and it was over 100 degrees every day. Shasta Lake has been severely depleted due to the drought, though that's improved a bit this late winter/spring. Just FYI, so you know what to expect.

I may have mentioned this on your other thread, but Taos, NM, is very artsy, spiritually-oriented, beautiful, and affordable rents can be found. There are creeks running through town, and the Rio Grande Gorge is popular for river rafting. There can be kayaking outside of town, at Eagle's Nest, at a higher elevation. But you may prefer to stay in CA, since I think you're caring for mom, on and off, or something? Just thought I'd mention Taos.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,830 times
Man I nailed you!!! In your other thread, I recommended Redding. Close enough!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:25 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Normally the average max temp for Mount Shasta (City) in the summer is...

July= 84.7

August= 83.5

MOUNT SHASTA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...emperatures%3F

Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
It's further south of Mt Shasta, where it turns into a oven in the summer

Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Jiffer. You seem to know about the places you inquire about in California as well as (if not better than) anyone else on either forums.
Perhaps it's time for you to sit down and get really calm and really quiet and check in with your gut (intuition and instinct) and your heart and follow you own "internal guidance system"?
Just a thought ... a little piece of unsolicited advice.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would only caution you about the heat, OP. It's extremely hot for 5-6 months of the year, and it gets into the 100's in the area. I was there last October, and it was over 100 degrees every day. Shasta Lake has been severely depleted due to the drought, though that's improved a bit this late winter/spring.
FYI: improved A LOT! Rain sends lake levels soaring at Shasta Lake | Local News - Home

Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,963 times
Hi! I recently moved to the Mount Shasta area. I am similar to you being from the Bay Area and vegetarian. no matter where you go in the world you will always find good people. This area is no exception. Unfortunately I have found that there are a lot of low quality people in the Mount Shasta area. By low-quality I mean unintelligent, ignorant, unsophisticated, bigoted, homophobic. I came here to live by the majestic mountain and to escape the chaos and high prices of urban living. It has been nearly two years and I have learned a lot about myself. The lack of amenities and the extremely low-caliber of community makes it unsustainable for me to continue living here. You will have a similar experience if you move here, I can tell from how I perceive your energy. In addition to the fundamentalist, prejudice 'Creepy-Christians' in this area you also get Super-Woo-Woo New Agers. Talk about whip-lash! A lot of polarity here. I miss being around level headed, thoughtful and intelligent people. Time to move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California