Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM

174 posts, read 221,196 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at various weather sites for information regarding climate comparisons and getting some conflicting information. I've heard that Solvang gets a lot more sun than Sacramento does. I like Sacramento but am not fond of the long grey Winters.

Thanks for any climate info! (or suggestions on reliable sites where I can compare climates side by side).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Sacramento gets a lot of sunshine. A "long gray winter" by California standards is a walk in the park compared to a lot of other places. For me I'd pick Solvang for the more mild winter temps.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 10:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I like wunderground.com. Choose the "calendar" option, then you can switch to different months and years, and see the actual temps on a monthly type calendar.

Here's the one for Solvang (it goes to Santa Ynez which is next door):

https://www.wunderground.com/history...99999#calendar

And Sacramento:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...99999#calendar

So, open up a window for both, by clicking on both links, then you can change to different months and years, and compare them that way.

I just looked at Jan and Feb of this year, and Solvang had more sunny days.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
CLIMATE: Solvang vs Sacramento
Rainfall (in.) 20.5, 17.2
Snowfall (in.) 0 0
Precipitation Days 41, 57
Sunny Days 287, 269
Avg. July High 90, 93
Avg. Jan. Low 38.6, 37.9

In the few weather websites I looked at, it also looks like to me that Solvang has a bit more sunny days then Sacramento

here is the town Post Office

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5940...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by tikkasf; 03-06-2016 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 03:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I've been looking at various weather sites for information regarding climate comparisons and getting some conflicting information. I've heard that Solvang gets a lot more sun than Sacramento does. I like Sacramento but am not fond of the long grey Winters.

Thanks for any climate info! (or suggestions on reliable sites where I can compare climates side by side).
Who ever told you Sacramento has "long grey winters" is very much misinformed. It amazes me the misinformation about Sacramento that comes out of coastal Californians mouths.

The differences in weather overall, especially in the winter, are marginal between Sacramento and Solvang.

Sacramento winters are almost identical to anywhere in the Bay Area. We get slightly less rain than San Francisco, but more than San Jose. Night time winter temps are only slightly colder than San Jose. Fog maybe present but burns off by noon, and certainly is not a regular thing. At it's worst we will have fog that lasts 3-5 days in a row in normal winters, to be followed by no fog for weeks, and in the last 5 yrs of the California drought, winter fog has been virtually non-existent in Sacramento.

Sacramento is practically cloudless, from April to Oct, bright full sunshine, and I mean not a single cloud will be present during the day. In the early morning, when San Francisco is a wash in fog in the summer, we may get some low clouds in the morning with our famous Delta Breeze that cools us down consistently most evenings and nights by 20-30 degrees daily thanks to the cold pacific cool air that penetrates deep inland into the Sacramento Delta directly up to Sacramento.

Sacramento is the 3rd most sunniest *Major Metro's in the USA of the top 50 metros, only Vegas and Phoenix are sunnier. In California, Redding, Fresno, Bakersfield, and the deserts of SoCal get more sun than Sacramento.

If Solvang gets the usual coastal low clouds and summer fog that much of the coast get, then for sure it's not as Sunny as Sacramento.

I'll post more stats and links of actual data in later posts.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
You'll be fine in either one.

This isn't the UK.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:20 AM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Who ever told you Sacramento has "long grey winters" is very much misinformed. It amazes me the misinformation about Sacramento that comes out of coastal Californians mouths.

The differences in weather overall, especially in the winter, are marginal between Sacramento and Solvang.
I agree with this. OP, the differences wouldn't even be noticeable. Winters would be chillier in Sacramento, but that's it. It's kind of nice, if you ask me--it lends a hint of a 4-season climate. And if Sacramento does get a little more rain, that's a good thing. Water is good, unless you prefer drought conditions and water rationing. Even with slightly more rain or overcast days, it would not make Sacramento anything like Seattle, not remotely. This is much ado about nothing.

What you should be considering, instead, is whether you'd like to live in a small town that gets mobbed by tourists every weekend and daily in the summers, or in a city with city amenities, many good restaurants, and proximity to the Bay Area for days at the beach and GG Park, or a weekend of museum-going, or whatever else may turn you on. And in winter--proximity to skiing, as well as proximity to Lake Tahoe and surrounding fishing and hiking areas in the summer. Solvang and Sacramento are very different in many ways, but weather isn't really one of them, not to a significant degree.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I agree with this. OP, the differences wouldn't even be noticeable. Winters would be chillier in Sacramento, but that's it. It's kind of nice, if you ask me--it lends a hint of a 4-season climate. And if Sacramento does get a little more rain, that's a good thing. Water is good, unless you prefer drought conditions and water rationing. Even with slightly more rain or overcast days, it would not make Sacramento anything like Seattle, not remotely. This is much ado about nothing.

What you should be considering, instead, is whether you'd like to live in a small town that gets mobbed by tourists every weekend and daily in the summers, or in a city with city amenities, many good restaurants, and proximity to the Bay Area for days at the beach and GG Park, or a weekend of museum-going, or whatever else may turn you on. And in winter--proximity to skiing, as well as proximity to Lake Tahoe and surrounding fishing and hiking areas in the summer. Solvang and Sacramento are very different in many ways, but weather isn't really one of them, not to a significant degree.
Yeah, op, solvang vs sacramento is kind of a bizarre comparison? Why just those two places? Have you been to cali before?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Yeah, op, solvang vs sacramento is kind of a bizarre comparison? Why just those two places? Have you been to cali before?
I think this might be the same poster we've had before, who said he'd found affordable senior housing in both areas, and had options for both, so he's trying to decide which would be best for him.

I think people's preference for as much sunny weather as possible may come back to bite them, and probably sooner rather than later. But, whatever.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think this might be the same poster we've had before, who said he'd found affordable senior housing in both areas, and had options for both, so he's trying to decide which would be best for him.

I think people's preference for as much sunny weather as possible may come back to bite them, and probably sooner rather than later. But, whatever.
If he is a senior Sacramento may be best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California