Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 34,955 times

Advertisements

What's the weather like in Humboldt right now? I'm driving from east coast to west (northern route, above Denver) in 2 weeks and i heard its been really bad up there? I'm going to Fortuna area.

What do you think? Am i going to have real difficult times leaving here the 14th and getting there around the 18/19th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Well, we just got a good round of wet weather and snow in our mountains. The roads and highways are open still, chains are required from Redding on 299 heading to the coast and on 36 from I-5 at Red Bluff to Fortuna. Highway 101 is still open from the Bay area to here. Barring any more mountain snow here, 299 and 36 should be open , they are both well maintained highways that allow speeds up to 55 mph and take you through some of the most beautiful mountain and river valleys and over pass's in excess of 3,000 feet with mountains in your view that are over 6,000 and 8,000 feet tall. Mount Shasta, north of Redding, is over 14,000 feet tall and is a volcano that, on a clear day, can be seen from Sacramento. This shot is of Mount Shasta from the north coming from Yreka and the the Oregon border.
Attached Thumbnails
Norcal - Humboldt Weather Now ???-mountshasta.jpg  

Old 02-04-2008, 08:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Unhappy The weather SUCKS here from Dec-March

mostly rain, varying degrees of cold. THis year seems colder than most, it's been in the high 30's at night here in Cutten. Fortuna is always 5-10 degrees warmer. But what you're really asking about is the drive from back East which I personally have never done. I always fly or I've taken trains. The previous poster is accurate. MY advice would be to avoid I-5 AND 299 if the weather is bad when you're traveling because I-5 involves high elevations (you probably saw the news stories last week about all those people being stuck at the Grapevine, in snow) and 299 is just a dicey road that's dicier in the winter. Are you coming out on I-80? I'd get down to the lower altitudes asap if there's snow at all. You can go down almost to the Bay Area and just get onto 101 via the RIchmond Bridge and head north. The highest elevation is Laytonville; if you make it past that you're home free. But if you luck out and everything is clear, then 5/299 will work. It's just day to day.There are cutovers between 5 and 101 at Hwy36 (slow,tortuous) and H20 in Lake County,which I've never done in the winter but it may well be icy. Are you moving here without ever having visited? You have more cojones than I do!. I'm not sure if I was supposed to answer this on this screen or as PM but this is where I went when I clicked.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Thank you Dragonslayer and Eureka for the responses. Yeah basically i wasn't sure if snow could permit me from driving on some roads. Sounds like its going to be day by day and hard to tell until i get there. You think 299 should be a DEFINITE No-Go in a 95 Honda? Seems like i should be worried about road closings, being stuck in the snow, and possible this-road-is-too-steep-for-this-little-damn-4cylinder-honda issues? If not, by looking at a map, seems it'd be most chill to take the 5 to 299 in onto Arcata.

Although it doesn't seem too much out of the way to take 80 to 101 (or is there a transfer road in between there) on up to my new home. Is this the case?

Really appreciate your help and look forward to being a local

Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM

I do not think you will have any problems with your 95 honda. The roads are not too steep, just twisty in places. 299 is a wonderful drive and if you are coming from I-5 from 80 near Sacramento, it will be thrilling when you see Mount Shasta as you approach Redding, you will see it for 150 plus miles as you are heading north on I-5. 299 is kept clear most nearly every day. I have had no problems with a 99 forester on 299. The weather is supposed to be pretty good for the next 10 days, so the road conditions should be good.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
I think I would go I-80 to north on I-5 in Sacramento and then go west on Highway 20 along the north side of Clear Lake area. Hookup with the 101. Quite scenic. Snow levels have been low this year compared to most. No big storms expected for the next several days.

I would be more worried about Donner Summit on I-80 though. That high pass can keep you in Reno for days if the storms are pounding the Sierra Nevada.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Just want to say I MADE IT!! It wasn't easy as i hit a blizzard in Iowa and was stuck to travelling 30 mph on the highway (when i shouldn't have been driving at all!). There were semi-trailers running off the road everywhere, major catastrophic accidents. Then when i finally drive out of the blizzard in Iowa, i hit a major mountain in Wyoming with super high winds, icy roads, snow drifting covering the roads so one has absolutely no idea where they are driving, etc. It was pretty crazy however alas, i am finally here!

299 was also beautiful! Long road, but beautiful!

Thank you guys.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Welcome to humboldt county, norcalwish, or maybe we should call you norcal-madeit. When you get a chance to explore the Humboldt bay region, you will fall in love with all the natural beauty. Keeping happily employed is usually the challenge here, I am lucky to work as a gardener and love it and there is always someone in need of my services.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Glad you made it safely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California