Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Just found book on Amazon called "Swimming Holes of California." There are also books on hot springs and hot pools. Maybe this will help me find my dream town...
Many summers we used to fish, swim, float the Arroyo Seco gorge area....lots of FUn & beautiful scenery.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlY9IoSQHEs

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...oyo+Seco%2C+CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,938 times
Quote:

However I'm very curious about West Marin. And the coastal cities above it without going so far north that it gets too cold/overcast. Those could have the nature access I crave...though with further drive to all the "urban" variety but that could be okay. I'd love to know more about West Marin culture instead of always hearing just opinions on Marin in general or on South/East Marin.
West Marin is not extremely diverse, many just white with a good deal of hispanics in some areas. Schools in this area are good performing especially given the amount of english learners. It is very liberal in the towns with a slight conservative (compared to the rest of Marin) "good ol boy" vibe with the local ranchers. You have Tomales Bay, the Pacific Ocean, and the Point Reyes National Seashore at your fingertips. The weather is similar to the inner East Bay just with more rain in the winter and slightly cooler winter temps and possible cooler summers. The downside is it is at least a 15-45 minute drive, deepening on location, to more urban amenities in Central Marin or Sonoma County. The Marin and Sonoma coast is worth a visit. Sight see at every town along Hwy 1 from Stinson Beach to Bodega Bay. It is overall a wonderful area to live. If you seek a more urban area remember just a few miles inland the 101 corridor fits many of your needs.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 PM

336 posts, read 411,851 times
Today explored Fairfax, CA, in central Marin as multiple people have suggested it for me. Some great shops and food. People seemed friendly and kinda artsy/outdoorsy/crunchy. Felt less urban than Berkekey/Oakland which was relaxing yet still saw many stores in and near it. Bit closer to Marin beaches and Hearts Desire swimming in Inverness than East Bay is. I was happy everytime I saw someone not white, haha, cause I'm scared to live or raise kids anywhere not diverse enough. Hmm. Only so much I can tell from one visit.

To respond to some comments...

Used to live in Takoma Park, MD Nearby Mt. Rainier, MD, too and other MD/DC/VA areas. Was fun but west coast suits me way more than east coast. Grew up in Gaithersburg, MD.

Love the Arroyo Secco video!! I see it's 2 hours from Monterey and by a hot springs Monterey sounds great. There is a swimming spot in Livermore I want to visit too.

Alameda's beach is great, only been once. It's water temperature is warmer than most North/Central CA beach water I just read so maybe it's warm enough to swim in. Rental prices there are roughly same as Albany/Berkeley/Monterey. Alameda sounds like low-crime beach life and good schools by all the Oakland/Berkeley options I like and is definitely a city I'm considering. The reason I "poo-pooed" its beach is cause it doesn't allow dogs. But maybe I can be okay with that. Living in Albany I'd have also good schools and right by beloved Point Isabel for dogs I own/foster/board. The beach near there is smelly, small and by highway though. I need to give Lake Anza beach another shot; unclear if it allows dogs; people do swim there.

South Austin is really great. It has a huge, fresh, social, wonderful swimming area called Barton Springs plus other fun outdoor swimming by hikes. Musical, outgoing, lively place. Big outdoor parks full of acroyoga, hula hooping, slacklining, laughter yoga. Lower rent than Bay Area. I had a great time living there though then the hot months hit. I love heat and sun yet was shocked how uncomfy the heat was but also didn't have AC.

I'm actually going to spend this Christmas in San Diego with family. Never been. Never considered living there cause thought I heard it's quite conservative. But will see for myself.

When I picture happily raising a family I always picture tons of time at swimmable outdoor water and grass with kids and dogs and partner and friends, swimming, bonfire, bbq, frisbee, surfing, playing, camping. That's the city I'm seeking

Last edited by NatureYogi; 05-31-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Marin, OP, except it might not have the diversity you want. You can't have everything. Marin, or around Santa Rosa, or Napa (high-end clientele for dog-walking). Marin's on the water. There's always Lake Berryessa, if you're east of Marin.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:53 PM

Will explore Marin and Alameda more soon. Considering day trip to Monterey. Applying to dog walking job in Austin that pays quite a bit more than my current company does...and man the cheaper housing and swimming there is sounding good!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Will explore Marin and Alameda more soon. Considering day trip to Monterey. Applying to dog walking job in Austin that pays quite a bit more than my current company does...and man the cheaper housing and swimming there is sounding good!
What swimming is there in Austin? You said SF Bay wasn't enough "beach" for you. You can do better in Austin?!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What swimming is there in Austin? You said SF Bay wasn't enough "beach" for you. You can do better in Austin?!
I'm sure the recent floods have changed that. Maybe the local river is now good for swimming?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Ruth4Truth and mrsltd, already answered that:

Quote:
South Austin is really great. It has a huge, fresh, social, wonderful swimming area called Barton Springs plus other fun outdoor swimming by hikes.
I had a lot of fun there with friendly, relaxed Austinites at various great outdoor swimming spots and at a pool. It's a great city and heard schools are great! South more fun than North definitely.

Applied to dog care jobs in Austin, Monterey and Hawaii just to see what comes of it but Hawaii schools aren't sounding great and Hawaii might be culture shock. Marin is sounding too isolated and undiverse enough maybe for me long-term but I need to explore it more. North Carolina afraid I'd miss west coast. Outside US I'd probably hate being so far from family especially once I have kids.

Leaning towards Albany or Montclair; lots of info on Berkeley Parents Network and I'm in both often. Possibly Alameda or Rockridge/Claremont but not as familiar.

Albany sounds less diverse than Berkeley but hear mixed reviews on quality of Berkeley highschool and it's nice you can choose your school in Albany instead of Berkeley's lottery...though Berkeley schools up to 6th grade all sound fine.

Need to visit/revisit Lake Temescal, Crown Memorial Beach and Lake Anza. Found small beach by Albany Bulb yesterday with kids and dogs cleaner and quieter than that other one by highway is! And remembered pretty sunset walk/biking near Berkeley Marina long time ago. Nearby Point Richmond (teensy beach, great vegan pizza) is cute for once in awhile. Love how near North Berkeley (Gourmet Ghetto, etc.) Albany is! Montclair has bigger houses than Albany, block parties, closer to trails I walk dog clients in - but further than Albany from Berkeley, Marin beaches and Point Isabel.

Getting warmer!!!

Last edited by NatureYogi; 06-02-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Ruth4Truth and mrsltd, already answered that:

I had a lot of fun there with friendly, relaxed Austinites at various great outdoor swimming spots and at a pool. It's a great city and heard schools are great! South more fun than North definitely.

Applied to dog care jobs in Austin, Monterey and Hawaii just to see what comes of it but Hawaii schools aren't sounding great and Hawaii might be culture shock. Marin is sounding too isolated and undiverse enough maybe for me long-term but I need to explore it more. North Carolina afraid I'd miss west coast. Outside US I'd probably hate being so far from family especially once I have kids.

Leaning towards Albany or Montclair; lots of info on Berkeley Parents Network and I'm in both often. Possibly Alameda or Rockridge/Claremont but not as familiar. Need to visit/revisit Lake Temescal, Crown Memorial Beach and Lake Anza. Found small beach by Albany Bulb yesterday with kids and dogs cleaner and quieter than that other one by highway is! And remembered pretty sunset walk/biking near Berkeley Marina long time ago. Love how near North Berkeley Albany is! Montclair has bigger houses, block parties, closer to trails I walk dog clients in but further from Berkeley and Marin and Point Isabel, etc.
OP, if you think Marin is too isolated, and you don't want to be too far from family, Hawaii is not for you. Talk about isolated! Think how much it would cost to take your kids to visit their relatives every year? It wouldn't be doable.

If you can get into Montclair, you'll have it made, school-wise. Those are some of the best schools nation-wide, except for the highschool. But by the time your future kids would be old enough for HS, it may have improved. Otherwise, you could apply to Bentley for scholarships for the kids. They emphasize diversity and welcome it, unlike the other private schools in the area.

Albany, on the other hand, has good enough schools all the way through HS, from what I've heard. And yes, that north Berkeley/Solano Ave. proximity is great, isn't it? BART, too.

BTW, there's a short cut from Montclair to Berkeley, via Golden Gate Avenue, check it out sometime. Montclair is almost just an extension of Claremont/Rockridge. Maybe you mean it's too far from north Berkeley?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
OP, if you think Marin is too isolated, and you don't want to be too far from family, Hawaii is not for you. Talk about isolated! Think how much it would cost to take your kids to visit their relatives every year? It wouldn't be doable.
True, had been thinking that. Maybe we would just budget it in and quality of life would make that extra cost worth it? Hmm but schools sound bad too...maybe just vacation in Hawaii instead of live there. Need to actually VISIT Hawaii to decide.

Quote:
If you can get into Montclair, you'll have it made, school-wise. Those are some of the best schools nation-wide,
Really?! That is exciting!! Wow.

Quote:
except for the highschool. But by the time your future kids would be old enough for HS, it may have improved. Otherwise, you could apply to Bentley for scholarships for the kids. They emphasize diversity and welcome it, unlike the other private schools in the area. Albany, on the other hand, has good enough schools all the way through HS, from what I've heard.
Very helpful info. I hope Montclair and Berkeley public highschools keep improving. (As someone who mostly attended private schools, I see pros and cons to both public and private. Cost is one factor.)

Quote:
And yes, that north Berkeley/Solano Ave. proximity is great, isn't it? BART, too.
Yes!!

Quote:
BTW, there's a short cut from Montclair to Berkeley, via Golden Gate Avenue, check it out sometime. Montclair is almost just an extension of Claremont/Rockridge. Maybe you mean it's too far from north Berkeley?
Guess I meant more North Berkeley, yep. Would you explain the shortcut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California