Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times

Advertisements

I got my car registered in California after moving here from another state. A few weeks later, I get a letter from the CHP saying I need to get my car registered in state and blah, blah, blah. It says I have 20 days to mail them a "copy of the appropriate registration form" or else the investigation process will continue and criminal action may be initiated.

They opened up this case well after I had my car was registered so they should be able to look this information up and I don't think I should have to mail them anything. Mostly out of principal, I'm thinking about just ignoring the request and letting them waste as much time as they feel like "investigating" this.

So my question is, is the burden of proof on me to show that the car is registered or is it on them to show it's not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM

631 posts, read 748,984 times
If you don't want to be in a steel box or going to small claims court, I would do whatever Popo says.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I got my car registered in California after moving here from another state. A few weeks later, I get a letter from the CHP saying I need to get my car registered in state and blah, blah, blah. It says I have 20 days to mail them a "copy of the appropriate registration form" or else the investigation process will continue and criminal action may be initiated.

They opened up this case well after I had my car was registered so they should be able to look this information up and I don't think I should have to mail them anything. Mostly out of principal, I'm thinking about just ignoring the request and letting them waste as much time as they feel like "investigating" this.

So my question is, is the burden of proof on me to show that the car is registered or is it on them to show it's not?
Sounds like you got turned in for driving around with out of state plates, I would make a copy of the registration and send it to them..ignore it if you want but I think that's a real dumb move

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sounds like you got turned in for driving around with out of state plates, I would make a copy of the registration and send it to them..ignore it if you want but I think that's a real dumb move

Wait a minute. So if a person is seen driving around a city in California, someone will contact the DMV and tell on them? What if they are a visitor? What if they are there for personal or business reasons?

When I move there, is there some kind of magical satellite system in CA that makes a note of my Michigan registered car entering the state on X date, and by X date, I'm still using my MI plates?

I'm confused? And that's disturbingly so Big Brother.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM

371 posts, read 637,283 times
Call your local CHP department first and verify the letter is real first. Don't ignore the letter, but check it out first. Don't call numbers listed in the letter -- find the general number independently. If it is real, you'll have to take care of it, but if it's not real, the CHP will need to know letters like that are floating around.

I've never heard of the CHP mailing letters demanding registration proof. But again, don't ignore it on the off-chance that it's real.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Standing on "principal" could be an expensive choice.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Wait a minute. So if a person is seen driving around a city in California, someone will contact the DMV and tell on them? What if they are a visitor? What if they are there for personal or business reasons?

When I move there, is there some kind of magical satellite system in CA that makes a note of my Michigan registered car entering the state on X date, and by X date, I'm still using my MI plates?

Don't shoot the messenger CHP wants people to report residents who have out of state plates if you get reported you have to send them proof of registration or prove you aren't a California resident. You can even snitch off your neighbors online you don't even have to call.
https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

Last edited by 2sleepy; 05-07-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Quote:

Big Brother isn't confused at all

Somebody (a neighbor? a co-worker?) may have seen the car always parked in the same area, for months, with out-of-state plates, and called DMV. I don't consider that 'big brother', I consider it 'turn in the scoff-law who isn't paying the taxes to finance DMV, CHP, etc'.

And for the OP, just send in a copy of your registration papers. Why not?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Call your local CHP department first and verify the letter is real first. Don't ignore the letter, but check it out first. Don't call numbers listed in the letter -- find the general number independently. If it is real, you'll have to take care of it, but if it's not real, the CHP will need to know letters like that are floating around.

I've never heard of the CHP mailing letters demanding registration proof. But again, don't ignore it on the off-chance that it's real.
Follow 2 sleepy and the above poster on this one that are both prudent and correct. Chp has an entire unit that handles this. They assign at least one officer from border counties to directlt handle these cases. It is more prevelant in border counties. The people who avoid California registration run into the multiple of millions of dollars... motorhomes are a prime example... California... 2000.00 a year.. Oregon 27.00

California works hard at getting every cent of your dollar... and Chp is tasked to make sure they get it. Letters are common... it is always prudent today to confirm its not a scam.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:

You think it's fair for people that LIVE here to go without paying their fair share? The DMV obviously sent this paperwork to an address so it would be prudent that resident had in State plates. Otherwise it's just cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California