Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 AM

234 posts, read 308,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure I understood you correctly; your wife is a college professor, but only has an MA? Then she's not a professor, she's an instructor or lecturer at some level.

But you could look for community colleges in the area. Farther north is Humboldt State University, but they would require a PhD for most teaching positions. Humboldt also has College of the Redwoods, a CC. I'm not as familiar with Mendocino. If one of you got a salaried job, like at a CC or high school, the other could organize art workshops. You two might run your own art school. In summers, you could attract people from the Bay Area, as a getaway residential program. With the equity you have in your home in SoCal, you might be able to buy a place with some guest houses and a workshop, and add a couple of yurts.

Just thinking outside the box.

Mendocino county's JC is going to be Mendocino College located in Ukiah. It's essentially the only game in town for the entire county. They have (small) satellite locations in Willits, Ft. Bragg and Lakeport as well.

https://www.mendocino.edu/

I'm not sure where to look for junior college rankings or ratings, but it's not a po-dunk little school, it's a pretty nice JC with lots of different programs offered.

https://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/20...ction-program/

There's definitely opportunity up there if you work in the right field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

490 posts, read 233,533 times
Reviving a dormant thread….

My wife and I are moving up to Fortuna at the end of July. We are originally from NY but this is our 2nd time living in CA and we’re moving up the coast from Monterey Bay.

Will be renting for a short while and looking for property. All I can say is cutting the monthly rent nearly in half is will be great.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

102,530 posts, read 109,196,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post

My wife and I are moving up to Fortuna at the end of July. We are originally from NY but this is our 2nd time living in CA and we’re moving up the coast from Monterey Bay.

Will be renting for a short while and looking for property. All I can say is cutting the monthly rent nearly in half is will be great.
If you're considering Fortuna, check flood maps. Part of the city is prone to spring floods when the snow in the mountains gets a sudden melt-off. Choose a location on higher ground.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

19,429 posts, read 16,993,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're considering Fortuna, check flood maps. Part of the city is prone to spring floods when the snow in the mountains gets a sudden melt-off. Choose a location on higher ground.
There's only little over a 16% chance of flooding in Fortuna and in specific areas. It's always good to know that information ahead of time, though. It can alleviate a lot of headaches down the road. Check out this site. It shows the areas prone to floods and indicates how and what causes them.

https://riskfactor.com/city/fortuna-...296_fsid/flood

Old Today, 06:23 PM

8,129 posts, read 4,352,918 times
Something to consider if you want to live on the central and northern coast is paths of egress in an emergency. As the residents found out in the Malibu fire, they were limited to north and south egress. The mountains to the east were on fire and the ocean is to the west. If anything happened to Highway 1, they had no exist. An earthquake or mudslide can take Highway 1 egress out of the picture and you need Highway 1 to get to roads used to go east. This has always made me uncomfortable with living in those cities, even though home prices are pretty good and the weather is great (usually.)

Old Today, 06:58 PM

19,429 posts, read 16,993,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post

Smart move in renting until you buy. Especially, if you haven't spent an inordinate amount of time there. It will give you a chance to explore. It's a pretty area of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California