Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I"m in my mid 20's and feel the need to move out of San Francisco due to the insane rent and size of the city (I think I'd be fine living somewhere a bit smaller). I love California (my parents live in Chico) and desperately need more information/suggestions concerning places like the north bay (Santa Rosa, Petaluma, San Rafael) and areas south of the city (Santa Cruz, etc).

My main concern is finding an "affordable" city with a significant population of young professionals.
What I would love out of a location:
-healthy population of young professionals
- a bit cheaper rent than sf (or more space for your $)
- access to outdoors/outdoor activities
-sunny weather
-nightlife isn't drastically important as long as the demographic is varied

Any information you can provide me is SO appreciated.

Best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM

2,853 posts, read 4,525,026 times
i was born & raised in santa rosa

* yes it's cheaper than san francisco
* there are ooooodles of things to do, either in sr or the surrounding areas
* normally, it rains A LOT. this year has been a strange exception to the rule, but normally it starts raining in november & doesn't stop until april-ish. santa rosa normally averages 35" each year
* there is a very diverse group of people in santa rosa - everything from country bumpkins, hispanics, asians, middle class & even yuppies. depending on where you live/work will dictate the groups you'll be surrounded with

which then leads to the next question - will you be commuting to an existing job? or getting a new job in santa rosa?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i was born & raised in santa rosa
A friend wants to move to Santa Rosa. They desire a more rural part of it with about a half-acre. Any suggestions to locations that can meet that criteria?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 AM

643 posts, read 918,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdewitt2 View Post
Hello!

I"m in my mid 20's and feel the need to move out of San Francisco due to the insane rent and size of the city (I think I'd be fine living somewhere a bit smaller). I love California (my parents live in Chico) and desperately need more information/suggestions concerning places like the north bay (Santa Rosa, Petaluma, San Rafael) and areas south of the city (Santa Cruz, etc).

My main concern is finding an "affordable" city with a significant population of young professionals.
-sunny weather

Best.
Im from Santa Cruz County and have visited Santa Rosa several times. I would say why not Monterey? I like it a lot here as a mid 20s professional. But if you have to choose, I personally prefer Santa Rosa due to the local selection of meats, veggies, and artisan stuff and the excellent weather. I dont know about the nightlife. I am not much of a fan of Santa Cruz's nightlife, but there are a few fun spots, especially the Catalyst for live music. I dont think there are too many young professionals in Santa Cruz, there are a lot of odd people, posers, transients, and drug addicts. That being said, it is still a beautiful town with a lot to do in the surrounding area. Check out Monterey. It has been a suprisingly fun place to live as a 20s young professional.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdewitt2 View Post
Hello!

-sunny weather

Best.
Move to LA.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Move to LA.
Yuck!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yuck!
LA > all other cities in California.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM

643 posts, read 918,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
LA > all other cities in California.
AHahah peoples opinions

Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Having lived in both places you mention, I'd say Santa Rosa is a better fit. Santa Cruz is more expensive than SR and it is also a college town, so lots of younger people, but students.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM

2,853 posts, read 4,525,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
A friend wants to move to Santa Rosa. They desire a more rural part of it with about a half-acre. Any suggestions to locations that can meet that criteria?
how much $ do they have to spend? land is pretty pricey in sonoma county - the empty lots are either being gobbled up by developers or vineyards.

look on the outskirts of city limits for larger lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California