Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,489,451 times

Advertisements

For those who think two or three Californias just aren't enough... behold, Six Californias!

Tim Draper Wants To Split California Into Pieces And Turn Silicon Valley Into Its Own State | TechCrunch

What is it with these Silly Valley types pouring millions into doomed political campaigns? First Meg Whitman, now this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM

220 posts, read 419,930 times
They just discussed this for about 10 minutes on CNBC Fast Money show from 4-5pm EST (1-2 PST).

Of course it will never go anywhere but in a way it is a cool topic that show how diverse and different California is from tip to tip.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,348,992 times
I think that the fact that the issue WON'T go away ought to, in and of itself, be cause for alarm.

If it's such a fringe idea, why does it refuse to die? I think there are some very legitimate grievances out there and many people (regardless of whether or not you agree with them-a whole separate discussion) are getting fed up.

Just because it seems like a long shot NOW, doesn't mean it can't someday turn around and bury you. And you never saw it coming.

Just fifteen years ago, who would've thought that tiny little America West Airlines would reign as King Supreme of the American skies? It would've been dismissed as pure lunacy.

Well....look at them now. Picked up US Airways from imminent liquidation (and kept their name). Ditto for American.

And now they are the undisputed largest airline.

My point is.....don't assume that these so-called "lunatics on the fringe" are going to go away anytime soon. This issue is persisting for a reason.

Address it.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM

954 posts, read 1,554,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I think that the fact that the issue WON'T go away ought to, in and of itself, be cause for alarm.

If it's such a fringe idea, why does it refuse to die? I think there are some very legitimate grievances out there and many people (regardless of whether or not you agree with them-a whole separate discussion) are getting fed up.

Just because it seems like a long shot NOW, doesn't mean it can't someday turn around and bury you. And you never saw it coming.

Just fifteen years ago, who would've thought that tiny little America West Airlines would reign as King Supreme of the American skies? It would've been dismissed as pure lunacy.

Well....look at them now. Picked up US Airways from imminent liquidation (and kept their name). Ditto for American.

My point is.....don't assume that these so-called "lunatics on the fringe" are going to go away anytime soon. This issue is persisting for a reason.

Address it.
Wow ! Talk about a segue out of left-field.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 AM

Using an airline in a discussion about splitting the state does seem incongruous. I'll be the very first to admit that. However, I used the example to illustrate the typical opposing mentality here. Just because things seem like impossible long shot odds NOW doesn't mean that, given enough time, effort, and organization, it still can't happen eventually. And the airline scenario is a perfect example of this. That's where that came from.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 AM

954 posts, read 1,554,225 times
Quote:
Using an airline in a discussion about splitting the state does seem incongruous. I'll be the very first to admit that. However, I used the example to illustrate the typical opposing mentality here. Just because things seem like impossible long shot odds NOW doesn't mean that, given enough time, effort, and organization, it still can't happen eventually. And the airline scenario is a perfect example of this. That's where that came from.
You seem to be a guy who's interested in the airline industry and little start-ups that come out of nowhere and end up really big ? Anyway, I'm also interested in the airline/aviation industry, so perhaps you should check-out the thread that I entered in the aviation section of this website about the teensy-weensy airport just north of Atlanta which is trying to become a competitor of gigantic Hartsfield Airport which is in fact the worlds largest commercial airport and also in Atlanta. It's an excellent article which appeared recently in the WSJ. Check it out !

Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,466,412 times
Quote:

Address it.
I'm not sure about the example you used but I agree with everything else. I don't know where we got the mentality in this country that certain things can't happen. Nothing is impossible, especially something like re drawing imaginary political lines. No president has ever died under the same flag he was born under.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Never before in recorded history that I can recall, has the population been so bitterly splintered and divided. The very few who *are* open minded and willing to come to the table with a "give-and-take" attitude (i.e. people often known as Libertarians or Middle of The Roaders) are loathed and hated by both sides.

An idea that for decades or centuries WAS held by those who existed only on the extreme fringes is slowly but steadily inching towards the mainstream, rational, and possible, no matter WHAT the Press may say to the contrary.

-Which is truly ironic considering how far TOWARDS the deep-end fringe the people who identify themselves as solid "Left" or "Right" are drifting. BOTH are moving further and further into a BS fantasy land fueled by impossible dreams and colossal amounts of narcissism.

This definitely makes for an atmosphere that is overripe for a major upheaval.

So as I will say for the third time. It may not appear possible NOW, but the momentum is definitely on the side of those who DO want to see this happen. I doubt we'll see this referendum appear on the 2014 or 2016 ballots. But from about 2020 and on, watch out if this current "my way-or-I-hold-you-for-ransom" mentality so prevalent on both sides continues or escalates.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 AM

658 posts, read 806,101 times
50 is a beautiful number.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,466,412 times
Quote:
Never before in recorded history that I can recall, has the population been so bitterly splintered and divided.
1860's?
Quote:
An idea that for decades or centuries WAS held by those who existed only on the extreme fringes is slowly but steadily inching towards the mainstream, rational, and possible, no matter WHAT the Press may say to the contrary.

-Which is truly ironic considering how far TOWARDS the deep-end fringe the people who identify themselves as solid "Left" or "Right" are drifting. BOTH are moving further and further into a BS fantasy land fueled by impossible dreams and colossal amounts of narcissism.

This definitely makes for an atmosphere that is overripe for a major upheaval.

So as I will say for the third time. It may not appear possible NOW, but the momentum is definitely on the side of those who DO want to see this happen. I doubt we'll see this referendum appear on the 2014 or 2016 ballots. But from about 2020 and on, watch out if this current "my way-or-I-hold-you-for-ransom" mentality so prevalent on both sides continues or escalates.
Our country was designed to change with the times and up until what, the 1970's, it did. Now we have a population that believes everything is set in stone and nothing will ever change. That in part is how we got into the political mess we're in. We're still trying to use 20th century tactics in a 21st century world. Whether it be organisms, languages or nations, once evolution stops, death is soon to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California