Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 12:13 PM

210 posts, read 175,468 times

Advertisements

Hi....

May end up doing some bi-coastal living for the next 12/18 months from Boston to Santa Barbara due to work. Am thinking I'd like to rent a house (or condo) to avoid traveling back to the east coast every week or staying in run down long term stay units.

If I have a budget of $1750-$2500 per month for a one bedroom...what neighborhoods would you recommend in Santa Barbara? From what I've seen of Goleta, it seems a bit run down to me. A co-worker wants to retire in Carpinteria (and the beach looks amazing) so that may be an option too.

I am big fan of older homes with charm. Am used to traffic, but would prefer to stay within 20 minutes or so to the North side of Santa Barbara. I would love to get a dog, but know this might not be realistic. Mid-career, so quiet neighborhood with a yard....within decent driving (10 min) of stores/movies is ideal. I've driven up to Solvang and Santa Ynez...that might be a bit too quiet for me. But the ability to jump on my bike directly from my house (or do trail running) from the house would be perfect.

Also, any recommendations on realtors or condo developments (and conversely, ones to ignore) would be great. I am a c. 1920 homeowner in MA and very knowledgeable about the building trades/architecture. I know I will have to do a bunch of site visits once I arrive...but it would be helpful to know where I should focus my energies.

Thanks for any/all advice!

PS...in case it's not clear, no kids, no school restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,756 times
Rent in Carpinteria, 101 fwy exit Linden make a right. There's great town homes for rent on 2nd st for 1800 2 bedrooms. across from Von's, restaurants and coffee shops. Also, 3 blocks from the beach. SB is over priced and too much $ per sq. foot. Many homeless people also. Carp is quiet and just a short drive to SB state street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California