Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 AM

26 posts, read 84,090 times

Advertisements

Could I get some opinions of the high desert? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM

27 posts, read 147,090 times
i just moved from victorville to rockdale texas....i liked victorville but i traded my $1400 a month mortgage for no mortgage payment by moving to texas...i bought a house for cash with my equity from selling my home in the desert.....if money had nothing to do with it...i would prefer to stay in calif....

Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 PM

117 posts, read 622,859 times
I like it and have been here for almost 28 years. I live in Apple Valley which you may know is next door to Hesperia and Victorville.

We have 4 season weather. Get's very hot in the summer. It gets windy a lot, usually snows once a year - sometimes more, and rains pretty good too.

If it wasn't for my husbands work being relocated else where soon, we wouldn't leave either.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 PM

76 posts, read 400,014 times
I use to live in Apple Valley and complained about the time it took to get down the hill as we called it, to Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario etc. But after living in North Fontana for almost 3 years I miss Apple Valley a lot.

My family is originally from WNY and we would love to move back there but since dh has a good job here we are thinking of moving back to Apple Valley. It has a pretty nice quality of life overall. I use to teach in Adelanto at a school that is actually in Victorville and I wld not live there personally. It is just like Fontana to me small lots and no room. But Apple Valley and Phelan have 1/2 on up to many acres and they have a different feel overall. Snowline and Apple Valley have the two best districts up there also, Phelan goes to Snowline.

If you want any more info feel free to ask. I was just coming on here to post about Apple Valley and get some more input as I sometimes think I am crazy to want to move back up there just for dh's job in cali, but it is a happy medium for my family. Not WNY but slower, pretty good education, more family oriented and has a more reasonable pace then where we are now.

I do not consider Hesperia, Victorville or Adelanto in the same breath however that is JMHO.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:20 AM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
My mom can't wait to leave, and she lives in a relatively nice part of Apple Valley. There's a boom-bust feel to the High Desert, and even when it's booming there are steady drug influences and even steadier winds each afternoon. If the area were not in the LA basin, it would be one-third the size and be as irrelevant as El Centro.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:30 AM

It is getting crowded out here, but it's still nothing compared to L.A.

One of the main reasons why it is booming out here is because it got so expensive to buy and rent down in the cities south of the Cajun Pass (AKA: "Down the Hill"). People found that they could get at least twice as much here compared.

The weather is pretty much predictable.
It can be storming down the hill and beautiful blue clear skies up here.
We do get some pretty good winds. Not everyday, but enough that most newbies to the area will comment on it. After living here for 28 years, I'm use to it and it doesn't keep from doing anything. Though
it does mess up the hair.

We have had some bad dust storms. Two last year that I couldn't see my neighbors house that is 5 acres away.
We also had an incredible lightning storm last year.
LivingLikeAGradStudent, I bet your Mom remembers it. It was one hec of a light show.

Spoiledmama, I’m not exactly sure what opinion you need. If your wanting to know about the schools, the weather, jobs, etc.

When I get a chance tomorrow, I will go out and take a picture and post.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Here is a picture I took about 15 minutes ago. The weather is gorgeous today.

This picture shows part of the 92308 Apple Valley area, plus Hesperia and the surronding 92345 cities. I put a red dot above the Cajun Pass to give an idea where it is.

Edit to add: after you click the attached jpg, if you click the center of the picture, it will increase the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions of the High Desert (Hesp, VV)-sanbmt2.jpg  

Last edited by Thunderbird; 10-28-2006 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California