Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times

Advertisements

'Made in California' label proposed to boost economy - latimes.com

Well, this will make boycotting California products REALLY easy!!

Do people in California have any clue how pissed off the adjacent states are at California's attitude??

I suppose it might help back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Do the vast majority of Americans have a bad attitude about China and India these days?
Do they stop buying products made there?

Besides, just because you see a lot of anti-California rhetoric, especially in places like this forum, doesn't mean the noise is anything more than a cranky personality type representing a minority.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,602 times
It's mostly the anti-American right who is upset with California as it keeps ignoring their shrill demands and yet still does better than them. BTW Californian made stuff is often superior as the state regulations make them safer than the looser national standards. If I was a parent buying say baby food or items I'd definitely prefer stuff made to the higher Californian standard than the low Federal standards especially for things made of plastic because there are a ton of mutagens and carcinogens in most plastics where as California has banned most of the chemicals in question for use in the plastics industry.

That means the baby bottles are safer and just as good and only ~10% more. Personally, I would think my baby is worth an extra $0.50 but to each his own, I guess.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,967 times
I think the vast majority of Americans would rather buy something labeled with "Made in California" than say something labeled with "Made in China" or "Hecho en Mexico" because in the end they are still supporting Americans.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,325,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Do people in California have any clue how pissed off the adjacent states are at California's attitude??
Didn't know states were capable of having emotions. Or attitudes for that matter.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Didn't know states were capable of having emotions. Or attitudes for that matter.
Sorry, English is not my first or second language.

Lots of people are refusing to buy Chinese products.

Maybe because English is not my native language, but I have a real hard time understanding Indians that speak English!! So before getting credit cards, tech support, and other purchases I always call the 800 support numbers. If the call gets routed to India, I just do not buy that product or service.

Dell Computers, if you bought their Latitude models, routed your call for customer support to the USA. Otherwise, you were headed for India!! My new credit card company routes their calls to Spokane, Washington.

We spent the winter in Arizona and Nevada. People are pretty mad at California for environmental and political reasons.

It is hard to prove a loss of business, if the purchase is never made. However, do business people in California have any clue about how much business they could be losing??

Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
No. Almost nobody is refusing to buy products made in India and China. It is impossible to live the American lifestyle without buying Indian and Chinese products. There have been media experiments on just that reality.
Quote:
- do business people in California have any clue about how much business they could be losing??
Losing to what? Losing to whom? Losing why? Because they are in California? Products aren't labeled Made in California yet. Your question and inferences make no sense.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,967 times
Quote:
Sorry, English is not my first or second language.

Maybe because English is not my native language, but I have a real hard time understanding Indians that speak English!! So before getting credit cards, tech support, and other purchases I always call the 800 support numbers. If the call gets routed to India, I just do not buy that product or service.

Dell Computers, if you bought their Latitude models, routed your call for customer support to the USA. Otherwise, you were headed for India!! My new credit card company routes their calls to Spokane, Washington.

We spent the winter in Arizona and Nevada. People are pretty mad at California for environmental and political reasons.

It is hard to prove a loss of business, if the purchase is never made. However, do business people in California have any clue about how much business they could be losing??
I don't understand why people in Arizona or Nevada would be getting mad at California for environmental policies or politics that are taking place in their own state? Do people in those states really have that much free time to sit around and read CALIFORNIA news and fume about it? Must be nice.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
Who gives a **** what Arizona thinks? They're living in 1880.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,370,655 times
Just another possible unfuded mandate on business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California