Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Check the Ventura County forum here, and do a search for Thousand Oaks. Will check all your boxes.
I recommended this back in March. Still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM

212 posts, read 427,025 times
Please keep in mind that (as a mother), I'd keep my eye out on air and water quality. I am also looking to spend seasonal time in California, and I am mindful of a recent article I saw on a business website.

6 of the top 11 "worst air quality" cities happen to be Californian. Undoubtedly due to the vast agriculture which occurs in the valleys which give us our produce/meat products. Try to stay away from these.

11 U.S. Cities With the Worst Air Pollution - Health.com

Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM

31 posts, read 38,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Please keep in mind that (as a mother), I'd keep my eye out on air and water quality. I am also looking to spend seasonal time in California, and I am mindful of a recent article I saw on a business website.

6 of the top 11 "worst air quality" cities happen to be Californian. Undoubtedly due to the vast agriculture which occurs in the valleys which give us our produce/meat products. Try to stay away from these.

11 U.S. Cities With the Worst Air Pollution - Health.com
Thankyou, that was something we hadn't considered!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
do you have the proper Visas to move here?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I recommended this back in March. Still do.
Looks a bit out of our price range for the most part! Maybe a little two relaxed for the teenagers also :/

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM

42 posts, read 54,061 times
Hi StuckInNZ! First off, I have no experience of California except for the airport (many times!), so please excuse my non-informative post. I am an Aussie and hubby is American. We have two small kids and have lived in both Oz and America (mostly Midwest - Kansas City - but a bit in upstate NY). I'm curious as to which part of NZ you're from?? From a 'southerner's' perspective, I really enjoyed life in the US in a city of 2 million or so (not hopelessly busy with people/traffic/housing issues etc). There was always STACKS to do, no matter what your calling/hobby/interest, I found - far more so than in Australian cities, I think. Also, as a southern hemisphere type, you'll probably find you'll be pretty popular - people practically fell over themselves to be friendly/hospitable towards me just because Americans really like Australians! Kind of funny, but true. I really notice the difference living back home (in Oz) now, just being a 'normal' person again! It may be a little different in California where there might be different racial demographics, though, to where I was living. I am considering a move back north to the US, just because, to be honest - there's so many OPTIONS in America. We're living in a smaller city in Qld and I also worry that by the time my kids hit 12 (I've got plenty of years up my sleeve), we'll be fishing for both social activities and academic/educational opportunities. Also career interests in our current town are pretty mediocre for both hubby and I. I've just about come to the conclusion that San Diego, San Fran and Sacramento would be just about the only places I'd consider, due to good weather, safety and variety etc. and the all-important instant access to a direct flight 'home'. Anyway, I'm just interested in hearing about your journey and what choices you make All the best to you.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
Hi StuckInNZ! First off, I have no experience of California except for the airport (many times!), so please excuse my non-informative post. I am an Aussie and hubby is American. We have two small kids and have lived in both Oz and America (mostly Midwest - Kansas City - but a bit in upstate NY). I'm curious as to which part of NZ you're from?? From a 'southerner's' perspective, I really enjoyed life in the US in a city of 2 million or so (not hopelessly busy with people/traffic/housing issues etc). There was always STACKS to do, no matter what your calling/hobby/interest, I found - far more so than in Australian cities, I think. Also, as a southern hemisphere type, you'll probably find you'll be pretty popular - people practically fell over themselves to be friendly/hospitable towards me just because Americans really like Australians! Kind of funny, but true. I really notice the difference living back home (in Oz) now, just being a 'normal' person again! It may be a little different in California where there might be different racial demographics, though, to where I was living. I am considering a move back north to the US, just because, to be honest - there's so many OPTIONS in America. We're living in a smaller city in Qld and I also worry that by the time my kids hit 12 (I've got plenty of years up my sleeve), we'll be fishing for both social activities and academic/educational opportunities. Also career interests in our current town are pretty mediocre for both hubby and I. I've just about come to the conclusion that San Diego, San Fran and Sacramento would be just about the only places I'd consider, due to good weather, safety and variety etc. and the all-important instant access to a direct flight 'home'. Anyway, I'm just interested in hearing about your journey and what choices you make All the best to you.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, really appreciate it! We are from Wellington NZ, and we'll keep you posted!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Being close to the border sometimes means that crime can spill over onto the US side from Mexico, and it also means there will be a larger Hispanic population in the area. Personally though I don't think either of these are significant problems and with your high price range I don't think it'd be much of a problem for you either. ...:
A reality check here ... I live in San Diego, which isn't quite as close to the border as Eastlake but it's pretty close. I have not heard of any crime spilling over the border into Eastlake. I haven't even heard of illegal immigration through Eastlake, because that happens mainly farther east or else via small boats on the ocean.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Isn't it amazing how people think they can just declare they're moving to the U.S. and don't have to worry at all about immigration issues?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,183,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I see you said you are moving for business - just wondering if you have a visa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
do you have the proper Visas to move here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Isn't it amazing how people think they can just declare they're moving to the U.S. and don't have to worry at all about immigration issues?
StuckInNewZealand, why do you keep choosing to not answer these questions? You completely ignore them yet go on to ask other questions for six pages now. We are not asking to be troublesome, we are asking because, if you don't have a visa to immigrate, then all these nice people are wasting their valuable time answering your many questions.

Do you have a visa or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California