Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,323 times

Advertisements

I know, I know! Yes it's another one of these threads. I have done ALOT of research and just can't find anything that is similar enough to my situation, or there are so few threads with similiar situations as mine, that I had to make one of these. Anywhoo back to the story.

I am 24, from FL, originally from Jacksonville, and just recently from Panama City. I am getting out of the Air Force in May, and have been wanting to move to West Coast for several, i.e 5-6, years. Two of my best friends are also tired of the slow-paced, very conservative lifestyle that is the south, and want to move with me. We each will have around 3-4k to move out with, and I personally have my GI bill, which if you look it up is based on zip code and they will give me a monthly stipend as an E-5 with dependents, but as I said it varies depending on zipcode, but it's a pretty reasonable stipend. I would have to work, but not be struggling, if you get my drift. Anyway I am going to get to the heart of the matter here.

We have thought about several cities with good colleges, i am mostly looking at CCs since my grades from before I joined were not the hottest so i would like to retake those classes and up my GPA. We have looked at Boulder CO, LA, San Diego, San Fran, and one of my friends cousins lives in Vacaville CA. We want a decent nightlife, early 20s, single kids here! We want an area where you don't have to have a car to get around. An area with a pretty decent food industry, i.e restaurants, etc for jobs.

San Fran seems like it will be WAY to expensive for us, even though that is truly the area we would like to go the most besides Boulder, which is also crazy expensive. We all know how to work hard, and "beat the streets to get jobs", I wouldn't be doing such a big life change if I didn't trust these guys. We just need advice. So if you have read through all of this, you are a true champion, and just know you will be helping some young friends "change their stars!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
I'm from Florida and I'm moving out to LA next week with no car. I would definitely recommend it there over any other place in the west. Solid public transportation system, big city, very good food industry, etc. Everything you want is there. I know several that have people that have made the same move with no car and found jobs and are fine. Just for the record, I'm going with less money saved up than you. So you are way more prepared than me. You'll be fine. Just keep a positive mindset, use common sense, and everything you need will come to you. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Both of my sons moved to Los Angeles within the past 8 years, with neither having much money or a job when they first arrived.

Both are doing very well now, and happy with their decisions.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Okay, I hadn't really looked in that area too much to be honest with y'all...any reccomendations for areas to look? Lol being from Fl all I really know about from Cali is from movies to be honest. I wouldn't mind living near the beachish area either!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePretzel View Post
I know, I know! Yes it's another one of these threads. I have done ALOT of research and just can't find anything that is similar enough to my situation, or there are so few threads with similiar situations as mine, that I had to make one of these. Anywhoo back to the story.

I am 24, from FL, originally from Jacksonville, and just recently from Panama City. I am getting out of the Air Force in May, and have been wanting to move to West Coast for several, i.e 5-6, years. Two of my best friends are also tired of the slow-paced, very conservative lifestyle that is the south, and want to move with me. We each will have around 3-4k to move out with, and I personally have my GI bill, which if you look it up is based on zip code and they will give me a monthly stipend as an E-5 with dependents, but as I said it varies depending on zipcode, but it's a pretty reasonable stipend. I would have to work, but not be struggling, if you get my drift. Anyway I am going to get to the heart of the matter here.

We have thought about several cities with good colleges, i am mostly looking at CCs since my grades from before I joined were not the hottest so i would like to retake those classes and up my GPA. We have looked at Boulder CO, LA, San Diego, San Fran, and one of my friends cousins lives in Vacaville CA. We want a decent nightlife, early 20s, single kids here! We want an area where you don't have to have a car to get around. An area with a pretty decent food industry, i.e restaurants, etc for jobs.

San Fran seems like it will be WAY to expensive for us, even though that is truly the area we would like to go the most besides Boulder, which is also crazy expensive. We all know how to work hard, and "beat the streets to get jobs", I wouldn't be doing such a big life change if I didn't trust these guys. We just need advice. So if you have read through all of this, you are a true champion, and just know you will be helping some young friends "change their stars!"
I have lived in Orlando and South Florida and currently live in San Francisco. If you don't mind cool weather (50's-60's), San Francisco sounds like a good fit. The rental market is really hot right now, so getting an apartment will be very tough without a job and little assets. You'd most likely have to rent a room from an apartment, which is normal for the Bay Area because of the high cost. You can live here without a car easier than with a car in many parts of the city.

I would NOT recommend anywhere in SoCal (LA, Orange County, San Diego) without a car. It's very car driven like Florida. Most of the people who use public transportation are those who can't afford a car, so it's not very desirable. LA has been improving it's public transportation system, but it will never be a car free city because it is so spread out. You would really need to know 100% where your job is located before you move if you don't have a car.

I would honestly recommend South Florida in your situation since you can get in-state tuition. You'll have the beach and night life, even in Los Angeles and San Diego, it's tough to go in the ocean without a wet suit. If you move to San Francisco, it will be a huge change, so it would be worth the experience. You could look into CCSF. However, San Francisco is not warm. Los Angeles is a bigger, more expensive, more interesting, more dirty, and more grimy version of South Florida.

San Diego is great, but I wouldn't move there without a car either.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks, yeah, I have been to South Flordia and Miama, Orlando, Tampa, Key West and those are all fun spots, but not really what I want. IDK that's why I had said Boulder CO, because that wouldn't be so bad either. San Fran seems perfect mix of what we would want, but seriously, no way we can afford 1k+ rent a month and still have a social life lol. I can actually get in-state wherever i want as long as I decide where I am going by May when my Date of Separation is. In the military you can change your state of residency at any time, just have to go to the finance office. i never understood why people always chose to change to Florida whenever they got in till i realized there wasn't a state tax, DUH! We had also considered Seattle, but the weather seems like a semi-big issue, especially since I have never seen more than 4= inches of snow.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePretzel View Post
Thanks, yeah, I have been to South Flordia and Miama, Orlando, Tampa, Key West and those are all fun spots, but not really what I want. IDK that's why I had said Boulder CO, because that wouldn't be so bad either. San Fran seems perfect mix of what we would want, but seriously, no way we can afford 1k+ rent a month and still have a social life lol. I can actually get in-state wherever i want as long as I decide where I am going by May when my Date of Separation is. In the military you can change your state of residency at any time, just have to go to the finance office. i never understood why people always chose to change to Florida whenever they got in till i realized there wasn't a state tax, DUH! We had also considered Seattle, but the weather seems like a semi-big issue, especially since I have never seen more than 4= inches of snow.
I didn't know that, that's great! I don't know if you'll be able to afford San Francisco if $1k is too much for rent. That's the average price for a shared apartment. Most of them won't allow two people to rent a room without an extra monthly fee. I would HIGHLY recommend you visit SoCal before deciding because I have trouble getting around the tourist areas via public transportation, residential neighborhoods are even more limited. I think life would be very tough because it is also expensive. I used to live in Seattle too. The weather sucks 2/3 out of the year, but you are almost guaranteed amazing summers. You could also consider Portland, OR. You could live in the downtown area without a car. It would be more affordable than Seattle and slightly better weather too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California