Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,509 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm planning on moving with my family to California at the end of this year once my lease is up. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, but it is unaffordable for me. I have a budget of $1350 or under for rent alone. I would prefer renting a 2 bdr+ house, but a 2 bdr+ condo/apartment is fine as well as long as the area is nice and there's alot to do. I want to be less than 1 hour from the beach and preferably less than a 2 hour drive from san francisco. I'm looking for something that's safe and affordable. I work online so we can move anywhere we like. I'm looking for a laid back atmosphere...I'm moving from Michigan which I absolutely hate. I moved here from Texas!!!

Other details

*Public transportation is a big plus, but not necessary
*We have 2 small children (1 and 4)
*My husband will probablly need to find a job once we move, but I am the main income and cities with alot of jobs is not priority.
*Low crime rate; I have kids
*Not really a fan of LA
*Diverse area<---this is very important, I don't want to move to another place that is 90% white, 90% black, etc, like I've experience here in the cities I've lived in Michigan. It needs to have a good mix of people.

Thanks!

Last edited by ambertx90; 02-17-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
1) A general rule for a fairly financially savvy family:

Budget $1500/mo for the first person and $1000/mo for each additional person. That should cover a little more than the "essentials" living here in California. This should be enough for most of the middle-class areas in CA as long as you don't need to live in SF proper or near the beach.

2) You will need a job, unless you have plenty of savings. Don't underestimate the amount of time you need to find a job! Take the minimum monthly expense you need from #1 and multiply it by 24 (essentially 2 years of living expenses.) If you don't have that available, don't bother moving here without a job.

3) Areas: If you don't like LA and think SF is too expensive, you can also consider Sacramento or one of the Central Valley cities.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
That budget + those requirements + California = LOL unless you're FAR north where there's literally no jobs and nothing to do

Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM

I said I work online, I can move anywhere I like...I would never move without some sort of safety net.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That budget + those requirements + California = LOL unless you're FAR north where there's literally no jobs and nothing to do
Not very openminded, eh? My requirements are not really that strict, I just don't know every last city in California to be able to stack them up against, that's why I ask here. If you don't know either, then why bother responding?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,906,518 times
Quote:
This is not true. The only tough call in the OP's list is to plug in the hope of good public transportation combined with the other points ... and one exception to even that limitation might well be Santa Rosa.

Another consideration would be Sacramento ... further from salt-water beaches, but lots of river and lake water activities ... the Delta is 1,000 miles of waterways between Sac and SF.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,929,525 times
yeah, i'd second sacramento. sounds like a good plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertx90 View Post
Not very openminded, eh? My requirements are not really that strict, I just don't know every last city in California to be able to stack them up against, that's why I ask here. If you don't know either, then why bother responding?
The California forums are full of people with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This is not true. The only tough call in the OP's list is to plug in the hope of good public transportation combined with the other points ... and one exception to even that limitation might well be Santa Rosa.

Another consideration would be Sacramento ... further from salt-water beaches, but lots of river and lake water activities ... the Delta is 1,000 miles of waterways between Sac and SF.
Santa Rosa was an awesome suggestion, thank you!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The California forums are full of people with champagne tastes on a beer budget.
I bet. But with the hundreds of cities it's hard to believe you'd think that there isn't one city is California which would be a good fit for me. $1350 for a 2 bdr is not insanely low. Some people aren't as blessed as you.. congratulations on your champagne budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California