Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,792 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move and we need some help deciding where to move to. Here is my original thread.

Looking for a good all-around town/city...

Thanks in advance for any help you might give me.

-Robert M.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

located near mammoth mountain.

no area in CA close to a university that's in the mountains. also, the affordable mountain areas are far from the beach.

but how much would you spend on a home?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM

i take that back. try zip codes 92386, 92314, 92315, and 92333

Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM

My parents would be willing to spend $800k, probably no more than $875k or $900k. That would be pushing it and it would have to be a really nice house for that much. And thank you for the help thus far. =) I do appreciate it.

-Robert M.-

Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 PM

if they did go for 900k, i dont see why they wouldnt go for this one

or this

here is the search i used. browse through and find one you like. i know they cant turn down an opportunity like this. they have a lake they can boat in during the summer and a two mountains to ski on in the winter. all year round they can take an overnight trip to the beach which is only about 4 hours away

92386 Homes, Real Estate, Condominiums & More - REALTOR.com

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

100 posts, read 563,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

located near mammoth mountain.

no area in CA close to a university that's in the mountains. also, the affordable mountain areas are far from the beach.

but how much would you spend on a home?
Actually, yes there is at least one place that would qualify as this. Chico, in far northern California has a CSU university and the town sits literally right at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains, I lived there for a year and a half and the mountains there are beautiful and much less changed by people than the Tahoe area.

I'm not sure if Chico would be the best place, I didn't like living there much myself. There are some towns in southern California that are near the mountains as well and they are accessible to the beach, though it might take a couple of hours to get to the beach. The cops here are not very stingy, unless you're in a small town, then they may be. The freeways here tend to be rather unpatrolled for the most part, generally cops in California have a lot to deal with so they don't waste too much time on petty crimes, this is of course unless you're in a very wealthy area or some community that is "overpoliced" in comparison the California in general, which is probably "underpoliced" by most standards.

There are areas where you will find nice people, its pretty diverse here so it can be somewhat intimidating at first but I think a lot of people here are openminded, it just depends on the area as its such as big state its hard to generalize how people act.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Wow thank you! You guys have been most helpful. Well if anything keep the replies coming. One thing that I would like to say is that my mother has a teaching contract so we wouldn't be able to move for 2 years, which isn't that far down the road, but will the prices of houses decrease or increase in your opinion? Anything else to consider when planning a move from so far down the road?

-Robert M.-

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM

Wow looking at real estate in California truly amazes me. Compared to NY houses these things are huge. Not a bad thing I'm merely remarking. This is very exciting. Most of the houses here are attached and I feel like you get half of the house for your money compared to the ones in California. Plus you get the nice weather in California. =)

-Robert M.-

Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Try the Eureka area, especially McKinleyville, 95519. There is Humboldt state university in Arcata, The mountains are within a 20 to 30 minute drive and the beach within minutes. All the towns are small and many are mostly rural. A typical new 3 bed 2 bath home is currently around $300,000 and $800,000, geez, that would put you in an executive mansion with an ocean view, if not within walking distance. Our weather is not just fog and rain as many would think, we do have four seasons, much more so than warmer areas of California with little temperature variations. Six rivers Shasta Trinity national parks is within an hours drive for snow and water recreation. Our economy is not the best, nor is our job market. But that is the price we pay for clear blue skies and water.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 29,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Try the Eureka area, especially McKinleyville, 95519. There is Humboldt state university in Arcata, The mountains are within a 20 to 30 minute drive and the beach within minutes. All the towns are small and many are mostly rural. A typical new 3 bed 2 bath home is currently around $300,000 and $800,000, geez, that would put you in an executive mansion with an ocean view, if not within walking distance. Our weather is not just fog and rain as many would think, we do have four seasons, much more so than warmer areas of California with little temperature variations. Six rivers Shasta Trinity national parks is within an hours drive for snow and water recreation. Our economy is not the best, nor is our job market. But that is the price we pay for clear blue skies and water.
BTW. the houses are cheaper now. I'm a real estate agent. 800,000 would really put you and your family in a mansion with an ocean view if you like this or maybe some redwood forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California