Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
That one is still #1 on my list. I'm just not completely sold on it. It didn't have the "it" factor to it, hard to explain.

Anyone know what the deal is with Del Rey Oaks? From my understanding this is a city separate from Seaside and Monterey. Is that right?
Yes, its a little city unto itself which is generally considered a decent neighborhood. Its right next to the airport and inside the sunbelt. Air traffic isn't too bad since Monterey airport isn't a high traffic international airport like LAX.

BTW, I really like that area of Monterey you are looking at as well.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM

276 posts, read 774,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, its a little city unto itself which is generally considered a decent neighborhood. Its right next to the airport and inside the sunbelt. Air traffic isn't too bad since Monterey airport isn't a high traffic international airport like LAX.

BTW, I really like that area of Monterey you are looking at as well.

Derek
Thanks Derek! Just got back from checking out a PG home. Very nice area, beautiful home. The fog scares me, but I might just have to suck it up.

I saw the Del Rey Oaks home from outside. The manager has not called me back to set up a showing. Very nice as well and it seems to have an ocean view too.

These two are at the top of my list now. Hope to make a decision this week.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM

So bummed out. No luck whatsoever. I thought the area would be more dog friendly. Not even having any luck by telling the property manager/owners that I'll get renters insurance with 500K coverage.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,179 times
Quote:
So bummed out. No luck whatsoever. I thought the area would be more dog friendly. Not even having any luck by telling the property manager/owners that I'll get renters insurance with 500K coverage.
I feel for you BBQ!
You may have to be more flexible and let go of the notion that all of your criteria will be met .... unless you're not in a hurry.
Then perhaps the perfect place will appear.
If you want to be right on the coast, you may need to consider a townhouse.
Some are quite nice and quite private and will accommodate your dog.
Or you may need to live a bit farther away from the coast.
I mentioned Scotts Valley in a previous post.
Like i said, it's up a bit but not in the thick of the S.C. mountains and it's an easy and quick commute to the coast.
And the fog that you dread will not be such an issue.
D.M. on the way.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I feel for you BBQ!
You may have to be more flexible and let go of the notion that all of your criteria will be met .... unless you're not in a hurry.
Then perhaps the perfect place will appear.
If you want to be right on the coast, you may need to consider a townhouse.
Some are quite nice and quite private and will accommodate your dog.
Or you may need to live a bit farther away from the coast.
I mentioned Scotts Valley in a previous post.
Like i said, it's up a bit but not in the thick of the S.C. mountains and it's an easy and quick commute to the coast.
And the fog that you dread will not be such an issue.
D.M. on the way.
We're not looking for all of our criteria to be met, but most. The main ones are nice area, insulated, not too far from the beach/stores/shops, and of course dog friendly. I've pretty much accepted the fog issue, dont want it, but will take it if the above is met.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
You mite be able to find a place you like around Felton, bro.

My brother has loved living in Prunedale for over four lustrum. Perhaps you will love it also.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
We're not looking for all of our criteria to be met, but most. The main ones are nice area, insulated, not too far from the beach/stores/shops, and of course dog friendly. I've pretty much accepted the fog issue, dont want it, but will take it if the above is met.
How far (in driving time) are you willing to be from the coast?
Hawk J mentioned Felton but that's an area that i think would not suit you ... it's too far from the coast and properties tend to be in the redwoods and you gotta love damp and dark to appreciate that scene in the winter and the S.C. mountains have a special vibe that isn't to everyone's liking.
But that's why i suggested Scotts Valley.
There are some nice properties / areas there, access to HWY17 is usually easy, ie; quick and then it takes just a few minutes to get to HWY1 in Santa Cruz.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 AM

242 posts, read 493,849 times
I am also looking for a place in Monterey, and having a pet is becoming problematic. I have no issues with a bigger deposit, but most places flat out refuse any pets from the start.

Looking to avoid the fog as well, but I do not think we will be competing for the same places.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
I am also looking for a place in Monterey, and having a pet is becoming problematic. I have no issues with a bigger deposit, but most places flat out refuse any pets from the start.

Looking to avoid the fog as well, but I do not think we will be competing for the same places.
Good luck!

Update:

I've found a place. What's crazy weird is that the place I landed is the same one that I took a look at 2 years ago. I don't believe in miracles or fate. But if this isn't one, I dont know what is. I always lamented that my job didn't want me to relocate a few years back so I lost the opportunity of this house, and now it comes up again for rent out of no where. Kind of creepy, but I'm beyond happy now! Thanks for all your help and support guys and gals.

Anyone have any info on New Monterey? Not sure whats Old Monterey either?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Good luck!

Update:

I've found a place. What's crazy weird is that the place I landed is the same one that I took a look at 2 years ago. I don't believe in miracles or fate. But if this isn't one, I dont know what is. I always lamented that my job didn't want me to relocate a few years back so I lost the opportunity of this house, and now it comes up again for rent out of no where. Kind of creepy, but I'm beyond happy now! Thanks for all your help and support guys and gals.

Anyone have any info on New Monterey? Not sure whats Old Monterey either?

Yay!
You have to believe in miracles now.
You found a good house (and one that welcomes your dog!) on the Monterey Bay.
Now it's my turn for a miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California