Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,182,127 times

Advertisements

Which would you prefer if you could afford either ..... I'm more interested in quality-of-life issues .... nature walks, good cafes, stimulating conversations that don't end in mutual death threats ..... than economics, as they're both impossible to afford and yet have no employment above minimum wage.

I've lived in Santa Cruz but have never been to SLO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,464 times
You'll find SLO more conservative and less "cool" than Santa Cruz. Your area has more of an alternative scene. SLO County is fairly conservative compared to a lot of CA. Just north of SLO as you go over the Cuesta Grade it gets kinda rednecky. I know, I've lived in San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Atascadero and Templeton. What I love about SLO is that it's really beautiful. It has a lovely, walkable downtown area with old store fronts. Linnea's on Garden St. is the cool coffee house that's been there a very long time. I have fond memories of SLO and only left because I'm too much of a city boy to live someplace that small. Being a college town, there are a bajillion young, hot college students...they also suck up the jobs that don't require a degree. One big drawback is that it's out in the middle of nowhere. It takes
4-5 hours to drive to a city (take your pick, L.A. or San Francisco). SLO is very clean and the sidewalks roll up very early.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks .... I suppose the little coastal towns like Pismo Beach and Morro Bay would have even more difficult to tolerate for a guy who likes big city life!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Thanks .... I suppose the little coastal towns like Pismo Beach and Morro Bay would have even more difficult to tolerate for a guy who likes big city life!
From one city boy to another...you'd die of boredom.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,365,627 times
Santa Cruz rivals towns much bigger in size. It's also nearer a major metro area.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 PM

11 posts, read 71,753 times
If you like big city life, why are you looking at anywhere on the central coast!!!!!!?????

Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Oh,I enjoyed big cities when younger ..... but now prefer medium sized cities, or small cities of at least 20,000 .... too small and you'll never fit in without family connections, and too big is maddening as you grow older, unless you have the income to live in a nice area.

Well, I ended up in Susanville ..... butt-ugly as far as the city itself, but some very nice places nearby for recreation. And it's vastly more affordable than central coastal CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California