Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,839,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrate View Post
I'm in the same situation, though primarily concerned with outdoor recreation opportunities out east of Fresno as compared to CO. Anyone have thoughts on the Rockies vs Sierras for those types of things (hiking, camping, etc.)?
The sierras are beautiful, but very crowded compared to the Rockies. Also more expensive to enter the parks, go camping, etc. Also difficult to get away from the crowds unless you go up to far northern California.

Quote:
Is there an outdoor culture out there at all comparable to what you'd find here in the Denver region?
Definitely. A lot of people into the outdoors, at least here in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley. I don't know whether that's true for Southern California, but I assume so, if nothing else based on sheer numbers of people living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM

8,253 posts, read 16,849,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The sierras are beautiful, but very crowded compared to the Rockies. Also more expensive to enter the parks, go camping, etc. Also difficult to get away from the crowds unless you go up to far northern California.

Definitely. A lot of people into the outdoors, at least here in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley. I don't know whether that's true for Southern California, but I assume so, if nothing else based on sheer numbers of people living there.
California is a larger state than Colorado both in terms of population and size. So while it has more people it also has more area to explore. The key thing to remember is that 95% of the people including natives go to the same places during the same time. Yosemite alone covers 1,189 square miles. Yet the majority of people including bus loads of tourists from around the world cram into the Valley during the Summer months. If however you are willing to think outside the box and explore the vast Sierra range beyond the crouds you can enjoy thousands of lakes, rivers, streams, waterfalls, high peaks, redwoods, etc... with very few people. You just have to know where to look.

Derek

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrate View Post
I'm in the same situation, though primarily concerned with outdoor recreation opportunities out east of Fresno as compared to CO. Anyone have thoughts on the Rockies vs Sierras for those types of things (hiking, camping, etc.)? Is there an outdoor culture out there at all comparable to what you'd find here in the Denver region? (all other things aside crime, economy, air, etc)
I would say there is definately an outdoor culture. Though not everyone takes advantage of it similar to Denver. There are surprisingly many home bodies in Denver. I think the harsher weather and higher elevation plays a part in this with many folks hibernating during snow and cold season. This can sometimes last up to 9 months. Once the lakes are frozen and trails covered in snow its harder to get around in the high country.

A friend of mine grew up in Frenso and was constantly enjoying the mountains in his backyard fishing, mountain biking, etc... sometimes after school/work. In some ways the Sierra Foothills along with the Sierra range itself offer easier access than does Denver. For most of Denver there is quite a bit of driving involved before actually getting into the Rockies including driving freeways to get there. From Denver to Dream Lake in RMNP which was one of my favorite destinations takes ~ 2 hours. Boulder is closer of course. From Fresno to Kings Canyon NP is closer to 1 hour. There are many less traveled trails, lakes and rivers in Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP to explore. One annual pass covers both parks.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-25-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If however you are willing to think outside the box and explore the vast Sierra range beyond the crouds you can enjoy thousands of lakes, rivers, streams, waterfalls, high peaks, redwoods, etc... with very few people. You just have to know where to look.

Derek
Yes we did a little backpackign earlier this year up in the Caribou Wilderness (southern Cascades) and, aside from a few hikers, encountered nobody. Had the alpine lakes all to ourselves.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes we did a little backpackign earlier this year up in the Caribou Wilderness (southern Cascades) and, aside from a few hikers, encountered nobody. Had the alpine lakes all to ourselves.
Here are a few photos from a backpack trip I took with my son in Yosemite's High Country where we say only a few people the entire time:

Derek

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Here are a few images from a Kings Canyon trip we took with very little in the way of crouds, all close to Fresno:

Derek

Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 PM

75 posts, read 112,330 times
I grew up in SoCal and now live in far northern Cal. Bakersfield/Fresno and the like have always been referred to as the armpit of CA. Not desirable by most standards.

Having said that, if you are returning because CA is your "home" and you want to be near family, then these other things seem to be secondary. Follow your heart. Make the most of what and where you are and focus on the positives.

With the props that have now passed here in CA, there may be a lot more opportunities available for you as folks exit the state! Good luck with these taxes though. Sheesh, don't know how people are going do it here!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Here are a few images from a Kings Canyon trip we took with very little in the way of crouds, all close to Fresno:
It appears from these photos that there was also very little in the way of clowds, which certainly makes for a nice hiking experience.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM

75 posts, read 112,330 times
The photos show what IS beautiful about CA, where else can you surf in the morning and ski in the same day? (That is if you can afford such lax time!) Very diverse. Nobody can say CA doesn't have it's beauty and be accurate. For all the reasons I want to leave, lack of beauty is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California