Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

I'm starting my junior year at Iowa State University this month, so I've got a couple years of college left until I leave this dreadful state and its terrible weather.

However, I'd like to gather some information now about places to live, and California strikes me as the most attractive. I'd like to get your recommendations about cities to live in.

Here's some information to go on:
- I'm super entrepreneurial and will most definitely start my own company or get into the startup scene working for a very small company. I already run a pretty successful blog, so making connections is not a problem for me.
- Since I'm entrepreneurial, I do not at all mind living very lean - starting out with a studio apartment would be OK as long as it's not dirty and the bathroom has 4 walls around it.
- I LOVE the ocean - I'd prefer to be very close to it, and I'd like to be in it a lot.
- I'm not really a fan of seasons. If it were 60-80 degrees and sunny every day, I'd be happy.
- My girlfriend doesn't really do well in places with bad air quality, so somewhere with clean air is pretty much a must.

Does any place in California offer a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM

168 posts, read 554,896 times
Do you have a budget?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
A couple years is too soon to be thinking about it. Without realistic details it's impossible to say aything, much less what your life (and your now gf's) are going to be like at that point. It's a big state though, and it will probably still be here when you are ready to move

Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,921,388 times
Sounds like pretty much anywhere near the coast in Southern California would work out well for you (climate and beach wise). The water begins to get too cold once you get into central CA. Obviously which town it is depends on your budget.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 PM

21,879 posts, read 25,195,050 times
What's your degree in? If it's computers/tech/social networking or anything related to that silicon valley (San Jose area). For more general business or entertainment, So Cal.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,247 times
I'm majoring in Management Information Systems, but I don't plan on doing anything with it. I'm much better at business dev, marketing, copywriting, PR - stuff like that. I'm really into tech but I'm not a developer. I could see myself being the non-technical partner in a startup, or doing business development for a small company.

I guess I really don't know what my budget will be - all I know is that if I stay on the track I'm on right now, I'll have no debt at all upon graduation.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Frank View Post
I'm starting my junior year at Iowa State University this month, so I've got a couple years of college left until I leave this dreadful state and its terrible weather.

However, I'd like to gather some information now about places to live, and California strikes me as the most attractive. I'd like to get your recommendations about cities to live in.

- I'm super entrepreneurial and will most definitely start my own company or get into the startup scene working for a very small company. I already run a pretty successful blog, so making connections is not a problem for me.
- Since I'm entrepreneurial, I do not at all mind living very lean - starting out with a studio apartment would be OK as long as it's not dirty and the bathroom has 4 walls around it.
- I LOVE the ocean - I'd prefer to be very close to it, and I'd like to be in it a lot.
- I'm not really a fan of seasons. If it were 60-80 degrees and sunny every day, I'd be happy.
- My girlfriend doesn't really do well in places with bad air quality, so somewhere with clean air is pretty much a must.

There are places in Ca that would work well for you it sounds like. As for weather, there are not too many places that have temps with such a small margin, even places like San Diego will have lots of days above 80 and below 60, but San Diego does come to mind, as well as places near San Louis Obispo and maybe Santa Barbara. All have relatively clean air.

The only problem you might have to face is the cost of living. OK, you say you don't mind living lean and I am sure you mean it, but you might be surprised to find out how lean you will live. Starting your own business, right out of college can be very tricky regardless of your blog success.

Anyway, your best bet is to visit Ca for a couple of weeks, maybe after you finish your Jr year and just do some research while there. You really can't get a feel for what will work for you with 2 more years to go. THe end of next spring will geive you plenty of time.

Oh, I will add just one thing and no, I am trying to discourage you or put a damper on your thoughts, but you mention you are good at PR and Copy writing: this is one of the fields that is overflowing with your college graduates. Even freelancing is a challenge. I think you will need to focus on something else. You are talking about a start up business, in what field may I ask?

Nita

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Quote:

There are a lot of start ups and established tech companies in the San Francisco Area looking for young talent.

Tech companies going all out to recruit talent

Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,549,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There are a lot of start ups and established tech companies in the San Francisco Area looking for young talent.

Tech companies going all out to recruit talent
Exactly. There is quite a vigorous tech boom right now in San Francisco and San Jose - primarily thanks to social networking companies.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM

58 posts, read 208,465 times
Quote:

Looking another direction Tampa may be a good fit for you all. The water is typically warmer in Florida. It is a very high tech city, and the air is cleaner there than most of the cities in California.

However, if California is really your dream, then I would suggest San Luis Obispo or Santa Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California