Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

Thinking about this myself. Renting, right now, in Carlsbad, Ca.(North County of San Diego area)..way too expensive.
Carlsbad recently passed a law prohibiting RVs from staying on the street for more than 3-days. Even the home owners are subject to this policy. If you are a home owner, your RV must be moved onto your property, preferably out of street-view, and a permit purchased ($100). They are agressive about ticketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
In 1989, we bought a 1978 American Clipper 'C' motorhome for 9k (we still have it). It has the Dodge 440, roof & dash A/C, Generac 4000 generator, etc etc. I mounted a bumper mount for my 1976 Honda trail bike, lots of Fun.

American Clippers For Sale

For many years we parttime boondocked/camped/fished/explored around the western states. We spent some happy times around Oceanside, san diego, surf fishing.

I towed my boat sometimes. We spent lots of time at Naciemiento & San Antonio Lakes, Camanche Lake south shore, New Hogan, Don Pedro Lake, Stanislaus River, "The Delta", Lake Oroville. Shasta Lake, Whiskeytown Lake, San Luis O'Neill Forebay, Delta/Mendota canal from Tracy to Firebaugh, CA Aqueduct, Sac River, Pajaro River, San Joaquin River, Pinto Lake, Moss Landing, Colorado River, Lake Havasu, Alamo Lake, etc etc. Lots of FUN memories have been made...

Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Just to add a little info on this topic for future researchers: In so cal, the good/safe/nicer RV parks have waiting lists, and/or take only newer RV's that must conform to their policies in terms of cosmetic condition, etc. The ones near the coast usually are adjacent to the freeway, too. Also, these lots are more expensive monthly. There are many others that run the gamut in SD county...usually not the quietest, cleanest or safest, tbh. I think some areas towards Yuma and other areas of AZ would be better winter spots, from what I have seen. In the end, when you account for hookups [or the hassle of not having them], insurance, park rental, etc., it's not that cheap-People sometimes have the idea that it's practically free b/c you have the RV [or perhaps you have a monthly financed payment on that RV, so add that to the list of expenses, too]. But it doesn't come out as free. At best, it gives you some mobility and, if you find the right park community, a sense of community with others. I know people who did this with kids for awhile. It became a drag, very quickly.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
Hi, I'm disabled 41 yr. Old female with no income and will temporarily be receiving about $10,000 that I have got get some kind of living space for myself. I will have no income after that and a family member will provide my insurance and fuel cost until I can get ssi. I have to be out of my home in 3 months and I live in southern California inland empire. All my doctors are here, my life is here. I originally planned to buy a 6x12 cargo trailer to pull and go stealth. To avoid the crazy RV laws here. Not sure if they would still mess with me in a cargo trailer. Bedside that I am unable to do much if anything maitenance wise because of my physical challenges. I would love to do a cargo van but I need to be able to stand up. Can anyone help me with their knowledge or ideas? I need help and fast.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
I don't thing trying to live in a metal box without windows in IE heat is a good idea.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I read all these posts. Funny when ever the price of real estate goes interest in this thread comes back. Prices drop and the thread stops for a time.

Wow, a cargo trailer as a living space. I don't see that working out very well. May want to check out van living. I have read of people living in small vans. The smallest was a Chevy Astro van. One guy has videos on how to turn a Chevy Astro van into a living area. He removed the middle seat and made a back seat that folds into a bed. Another option is maybe to find an old VW camper van. Not a real old one, maybe from the 1990's. Many of these are already set up as a home on wheels.

1983 Volkswagen WESTFALIA VANAGON | eBay

1971 Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon | eBay

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...192982261.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...191189616.html

Old 06-26-2017, 04:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Buy it used. Plenty of low mileage RVs collecting dust in driveways. Not being used.
Join a RV timeshare. My buddy does this. He moves from park to park has hook ups. he has some monthly costs but he said it's pretty cheap living. He's retired though

Old 06-26-2017, 11:43 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I just bought a 23ft class-B for $1k, runs quite well.

But yeah, more and more cities are cracking-down on RV urban-camping. If it is an RV, even just a class-B camper-van, there are lots of cities that have quite restrictive
parking-rules.....no RV parking on street, 4 hour limits, etc, etc. Even if you don't get ticketed, the possiblity of getting hassled and told to move-along, when you thought you were set-up for the night, is a distinct possibility.

And those private properties that allow RVs, like Walmart, more and more of them are
no-longer allowing overnight parking. The 4 Walmarts where I live, there is only one left that allows overnight parking.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo Queen View Post
Hi, I'm disabled 41 yr. Old female with no income and will temporarily be receiving about $10,000 that I have got get some kind of living space for myself. I will have no income after that and a family member will provide my insurance and fuel cost until I can get ssi. I have to be out of my home in 3 months and I live in southern California inland empire. All my doctors are here, my life is here. I originally planned to buy a 6x12 cargo trailer to pull and go stealth. To avoid the crazy RV laws here. Not sure if they would still mess with me in a cargo trailer. Bedside that I am unable to do much if anything maitenance wise because of my physical challenges. I would love to do a cargo van but I need to be able to stand up. Can anyone help me with their knowledge or ideas? I need help and fast.
Have you already applied for SSI benefits, Section 8, and food stamps? Are you covered by Medi-cal/Medicaid? Have you been in touch with local housing agencies in your community? Can your doctors put you in touch with agencies who might be able to help you find low cost housing options for disabled folks? Is living with your family members an option, even temporarily?

Have you coonsidered moving away from Southern California? $10,000 will buy you a year or more of rent in a nice apartment in many parts of the U.S. (and even parts of Northern California).

Frankly, if I was disabled, I'd rather live in a regular apartment somewhere in the mid-west or the southeast than a cargo van in Southern California.

Best of luck!

Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
You will be paying hundreds of dollars a month running the AC during the summer or a lot that has electricity. I live in our RV about 3 months a year but not this time of year. A gas powered gen set isn't going to be very economical. Neither will propane fired fridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California