Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 110,420 times

Advertisements

I have read MANY posts about people relocating and trying to find the best city to fit my needs but I still have not found exactly what I am looking for.

A little bit of what I am looking for:
- I would like to live in a Smaller coastal town (under 20,000)
- Cheap rent (when I say cheap I mean cheap for CA, I am looking to pay rent in the $500-700 range)
- Warm climate. Im coming from one of the coolest parts of CO so I would like to live in a place that does not get below 70-60's. Northern Cali (above San Fran) is a place that I have heard might be nice, is this true?
- Safe & friendly!
- Dog & 420 friendly

I am little bit on the "hippie" side, but I dont want to move somewhere that has a drug problem I have several different degrees/certificates that I am planning to find work, once I find a town (or a few) that I like, I will then worry about the job thing, for right now I just want to find something that would fit my lifestyle first.

Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,267,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bluestar View Post
- Cheap rent (when I say cheap I mean cheap for CA, I am looking to pay rent in the $500-700 range)

Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
I second this! (What Majin posted)

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Im not talking about renting an entire house or apartment, I dont mind renting rooms or studios.
I realize its expensive thats why I am asking questions and neither of your posts helped, thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,227,756 times
Hey it's plausible with three or more roommates and or if you're fine living in a trailer home.

But my initial reaction is pretty much what Majin posted.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times
Plan on renting a room and/or having roomates for that kind of rent. Even in many parts of CO rent is higher 500-700/mo.

I would look at Central CA coast and below (Santa Cruz and South). The weather get's cooler the further north you go. There quite a number of smaller coastal towns along the Central Coast. Finding solid job opportunties will be the real challenge.

Derek

Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,555,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bluestar View Post
I have read MANY posts about people relocating and trying to find the best city to fit my needs but I still have not found exactly what I am looking for.

A little bit of what I am looking for:
- I would like to live in a Smaller coastal town (under 20,000)
- Warm climate. Im coming from one of the coolest parts of CO so I would like to live in a place that does not get below 70-60's. Northern Cali (above San Fran) is a place that I have heard might be nice, is this true?
- Safe & friendly!
- Dog & 420 friendly

I am little bit on the "hippie" side, but I dont want to move somewhere that has a drug problem I have several different degrees/certificates that I am planning to find work, once I find a town (or a few) that I like, I will then worry about the job thing, for right now I just want to find something that would fit my lifestyle first.

Thanks a million.
I have to be blunt - impossible.

1. No coastal area in CA does not dip below the 60's. That said, you'd hardly freeze.

2. I know people who live in tiny apartments/shacks in the Ocean Beach area of San diego. They pay just under your high figure. Of course, San Diego a large population center. That said, some of the areas like Ocean Beach don't feel like a city at all. As for safety...one of the friends I mention found a homeless drunk sleeping on his sofa one morning. The guy tried to pretend he was invited in. OB is definitely hipster. In all seriousness, it isn't really unsafe. The people there are mostly harmless. A lot of pot smokers though.

3. As for the NorCal coast above SF, you'd have to go up to Humbolt County to even have a prayer. The weather is much cloudier and rainier in the winters there. Also a heavy pot smoking area. I don't know where they stand on other drugs. Even there, for your price range you are going to be living in a shack/closet. And then there is the whole jobs thing. The only certificate that will land you a job up there is a certificate in advanced pot growing.

4. I gotta recommend Ocean Beach, San Diego. Like I said, I do know people renting in that price range. One even has a "small" dog. Notice that I said "small". There is a dog beach and park within walking distance. It is definitely a hipster community. You really don't have to worry about violent crime (people are too stoned to exert much effort). As part of San Diego, there will also be jobs! Might be a tad too hipster for you, but I can't imagine any other place that even comes close to your requirements. BTW, there are rents in the $600-$700 range, but don't expect them to appear weekly. Also don't expect much for that.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Aracata
Castroville
Cayucos
Crescent City
Eureka
Fort Bragg
Guadalupe
Point Arena
Salinas (depends on what "coastal" means)
San Juan Capistrano
Santa Maria
Seaside
Watsonville

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Thank you that helps! I know what I am looking for is a little unreal but I still want to do my research! Now what about towns inland, I would not be opposed to live near a lake, I just need some sort of water!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,615,483 times
Sorry for being *blunt*, but this topic is ass-backwards.

What are you going to do for work? I know you say you want to pick the area, THEN find a job, but that is extremely unrealistic. The job market in CA is VERY tough, even for highly qualified people.

Safe + cheap doesn't exist in CA.

Maybe up the housing budget a bit and lower the illegal drug spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California