Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,677 times

Advertisements

HI there

I am looking for some advice please.

I am currently studying a degree in Operating Department Practice here in the UK and am looking at moving with my O/H (no kids) to Orange County California after my course, so in the next three years (I am planning ahead). Once qualified I would be looking at getting a job as an Operating Room Technician paying on average $40,000 - $44,000 per annum.

I was wondering whether someone could let me know an average cost of living budget to give me an idea. We will certainly be renting, a one or two bedroom place, when we move there and whilst my O/H would like to live near the beach it will have to be affordable and I understand that it is quite an expensive place to live. I am thinking that an apartment would be the easiest option although I will stand correct if not.

Currently we live in the Maidstone area in Kent (south east England) and rent a 2 bed flat which costs us £625 ($964) in rent per month and our total outgoings amount to approximately £1400 ($2158) per month. We would be looking at similar costs although we would be able to stretch a little further as my salary would be higher once fully qualified.

Could you also suggest in your opinions the best areas to live and work within the area?

I am currently looking into the visa side of things and if anyone has any experience of this any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your help.

Becky

Last edited by Becky1984; 08-30-2010 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,787,360 times
The "visa side of things" and the right-to- work paperwork is your FIRST concern. Without that, nothing happens. There is a recession going on and it's not as easy to be a "shortage category" as some medical folks used to be. You might check the US Dept of State website.
Sorry I can't wish you "good luck". There are just too many Americans who are out of work right now and seemingly, this is going to be a tough job market for the next several years.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM

963 posts, read 3,038,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The "visa side of things" and the right-to- work paperwork is your FIRST concern. Without that, nothing happens. There is a recession going on and it's not as easy to be a "shortage category" as some medical folks used to be. You might check the US Dept of State website.
Sorry I can't wish you "good luck". There are just too many Americans who are out of work right now and seemingly, this is going to be a tough job market for the next several years.
Very true. For years, employers of technical workers were suspected of hiring foreign nationals in order to undercut the prevailing local wages. Under policy new this year, employers who wish to hire foreigners under the H1B visa have to be able to prove that they have advertised the opening in local venues for several months and made a good faith attempt to fill the position with a domestic worker first. It can take several years to obtain an H1B these days even after you find an employer who's willing to sponsor you. If you want to be here in three years, you need to start NOW.

P.S. The H1B program has generated a lot of scam and spam on the internet. Don't trust any information that isn't posted directly on a URL with a ".state.gov" or "usa.gov" suffix.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,677 times
Thank you both for your advice, I will start looking into it. I can understand your concerns with foreign workers as we have exactly the same problem here with European workers. Our government have just changed the immigration laws here but unfortunately too little too late for this country. They were all welcomed in with open arms putting enormous strain on our countries resources and it keeps going downhill.

Fortunately it has not really affected the role that I am doing as there is a shortage of qualified staff available (I just finished working in human resources for a Healthcare Company). I have been looking on hospital careers sites and each one that I have looked at seems to have a job vacancy going.

Fingers crossed things look up in the next three to four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California