Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times

Advertisements

Hi guys/gals,

I get asked similar question on CD fairly often. So I thought I would add a thread describing the local economy including jobs and some of the the area's history.

Most of my observations have come from living here after moving from Colorado via a job offer and relocation. Although before moving to the area it appeared like a difficult place to find a job/make a living as a visitor. And I hear that a lot today. People wonder how anyone could make a living in the area besides wealthy movie stars like Clint Eastwood who golf at Pebble Beach all day. And that perception and mystique is part of the reason the area remains as it is - exclusive in a way. But for the sake of CDers I thought I'd fill in some of the blanks.

Quote:
Once a leading fishing and whaling port, Monterey county's economic mainstays now are tourism and the military. -- CityData
While tourism seems like the obvious big business of the area as a world class destination, the military has a very strong presence as well. The Presidio of Monterey, Naval Post Graduate School (NPS), Defense Language Institute (DLI), Fort Ord and the DoD all provide services and jobs for international and local residents.

Quote:
Due to its strategic location, Monterey has historically been a key military outpost. Today, the city's military installations continue to provide tremendous support to the economy, particularly through its educational institutions. The Army's Defense Language Institute provides language instruction for agents of the FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration, and Border Patrol. The Naval Postgraduate School offers advance classroom training for Naval officers. The Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center, operated by the Navy, is one of the world's leading numerical weather prediction centers. -- CityData
It's kinda funny when people say 'Fort Ord is where my dad went to bootcamp!' The base was BRAC'd in the 90s. So the bootcamp ceased. But it still has military housing with active duty and civilian personnel working on base as well as throughout the Presidio. There are some great Military/DoD jobs for local residents because of this presence.

Education is also a big part of the area with colleges and universities such as CSUMB, Monterey Peninsula College, and Monterey Institute-International Study provide jobs as well.
Quote:
Monterey has recently been recognized as the "Language Capital of the World". Key components of Monterey's language skilled labor force include The Monterey Institute of International Studies and the Defense Language Institute. The Monterey Institute of International Studies not only provides language training, but a wide variety of graduate-level courses in international trade. -- monterey.org
Of course agriculture is huge in the Salinas Valley just inland from the coast. And then thare are a lot of Medical facilities and services which provide a lot of jobs including CHOMP, Ryan Ranch Medical Offices, and Salinas Valley Memorial.

Unemployment is lower than many cities and counties throughout CA at 4.9% for the city of Monterey and 10.8% for the county at large.

What are some of the cities strategic plans for growth?
Quote:
The Monterey Bay economy of the future will be based on educational and research activities with special emphasis on marine biology and the environmental sciences. The establishment of a new Monterey Bay State University is already making an important impact on the regional economy. The development of a new "Think and Do" center by the University of California at Fort Ord will also create new opportunities for economic growth through partnerships with companies wishing to locate in a research-based environment. -- monterey.org
Hopefully this gives you a broader picture of the area. Though I'm sure some residents would rather leave most people outside the area in the dark. It's a fun place to live if you find a good job opportunity.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-27-2010 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,513 times
hi derek,

i saw a previous post of yours from when you were looking for info on where to live in Monterey... looks like you made the move already? Just wondering where you ended up? I'm going to be moving there in Jan 2011 with two young children (ages 2 and 4), and after having just visited there last weekend, I'm feeling a little nervous about where to go live. I didn't have a great experience while I was there, and was shocked that I only counted 5 houses in Pacific Grove that had decorated for the holidays. I guess with two little ones, I'm really looking for some community, families with young children, etc. I kind of found it when I drove through the military housing area between Seaside and Marina (can't remember what it's called), but of course, that's available only to military families. Any tips? I literally have one month to sort it all out, get moved up there and start my new job, so any and ALL tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks!
d

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
hi derek,

i saw a previous post of yours from when you were looking for info on where to live in Monterey... looks like you made the move already? Just wondering where you ended up? I'm going to be moving there in Jan 2011 with two young children (ages 2 and 4), and after having just visited there last weekend, I'm feeling a little nervous about where to go live. I didn't have a great experience while I was there, and was shocked that I only counted 5 houses in Pacific Grove that had decorated for the holidays. I guess with two little ones, I'm really looking for some community, families with young children, etc. I kind of found it when I drove through the military housing area between Seaside and Marina (can't remember what it's called), but of course, that's available only to military families. Any tips? I literally have one month to sort it all out, get moved up there and start my new job, so any and ALL tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks!
d

My brother-in-law is a civilian who rented an apartment in Fort Ord. I think they still rent to civilian folks.

Best of Luck in your search.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi Mamasurfs,

Welcome to the area first of all! Fortunately there are a lot of families in the area. They may just be more s-p-r-e-a-d o-u-t that what you are used to. Where are you coming from?

As far as Christmas lights there is a really cool nieghborhood in PG known as Candy Cane Lane. It's a fun place to families to walk/drive and check out during the holidays - Candy Cane Lane - Pacific Grove, CA. It's on Morse Drive in Pacific Grove and adjoining blocks, off Forest one block north of David.

Many younger families are here with the military. We have a number of friends with children attending DLI and NPS. But there are also families who are not in the military like ours. Our next door neighbor has two young children who our kids play with in Monterey. The husband is a police officer. A new military family just moved in across the street with a toddler. The house was previously occupied by college students. But then there aren't many kids along the block after our section. So you will see a variety depending on the streets you drive.

Another important consideration is school districts if you plan to have your kids attend public school. The best schools are located in Pacific Grove, Carmel and Monterey. Take a look at this map and zoom in to the areas of interest - California School Performance Maps

As far as the Military housing, yes, there will be more young families in the various areas. You didn't mention if you are in the military or working for the military. Housing is also available on base at Ford Ord for ppl working for the Gov't. That is probably what you are describing. I know civilian families living there. Here is one website to check: The Parks at Monterey Bay

Two more place to look are Las Palmas and Speckles. We know a number of families living there. And there are good schools through Junior HS. It's close to Hwy 68 and River Road. The only downside is that is inland from the coast and closer to Salinas. But none the less many choose this area. It has some newer homes and more of a planned suburbia feel.

Another tip is to join some local groups for families. We homeschool and are apart of a homeschool group with many families like ours. You can also check out some of the local churches or other areas of interest with meetup type groups for younger families. We've met a number of families through a few local churches in Monterey and PG.

Lastly you may have to adjust your expectations a bit depending on what you are used, like streets lined with families and young children. Some streets will have more kids than others. But it may not be what you initially expect. Either way it really helps to get out and meet with others at a park, the beach, etc...

Hope that helps some,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-14-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Derek, do they still have Dennis the Menace Park, in El Estero Park, across from MPC?

My youngsters played there lustrums ago.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Derek, do they still have Dennis the Menace Park, in El Estero Park, across from MPC?

My youngsters played there lustrums ago.
Yep, our kids love that park! The lake is fun as well with the paddle boats. There is so much to see and do in Monterey for families. We are having a great time here. Our favorite part is the coast including Point Lobos and Big Sur. We went to the beach Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. It got up to 70 degrees and it's mid December.

Derek

Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hi Mamasurfs,

Welcome to the area first of all! Fortunately there are a lot of families in the area. They may just be more s-p-r-e-a-d o-u-t that what you are used to. Where are you coming from?

As far as Christmas lights there is a really cool nieghborhood in PG known as Candy Cane Lane. It's a fun place to families to walk/drive and check out during the holidays - Candy Cane Lane - Pacific Grove, CA. It's on Morse Drive in Pacific Grove and adjoining blocks, off Forest one block north of David.

Many younger families are here with the military. We have a number of friends with children attending DLI and NPS. But there are also families who are not in the military like ours. Our next door neighbor has two young children who our kids play with in Monterey. The husband is a police officer. A new military family just moved in across the street with a toddler. The house was previously occupied by college students. But then there aren't many kids along the block after our section. So you will see a variety depending on the streets you drive.

Another important consideration is school districts if you plan to have your kids attend public school. The best schools are located in Pacific Grove, Carmel and Monterey. Take a look at this map and zoom in to the areas of interest - California School Performance Maps

As far as the Military housing, yes, there will be more young families in the various areas. You didn't mention if you are in the military or working for the military. Housing is also available on base at Ford Ord for ppl working for the Gov't. That is probably what you are describing. I know civilian families living there. Here is one website to check: The Parks at Monterey Bay

Two more place to look are Las Palmas and Speckles. We know a number of families living there. And there are good schools through Junior HS. It's close to Hwy 68 and River Road. The only downside is that is inland from the coast and closer to Salinas. But none the less many choose this area. It has some newer homes and more of a planned suburbia feel.

Another tip is to join some local groups for families. We homeschool and are apart of a homeschool group with many families like ours. You can also check out some of the local churches or other areas of interest with meetup type groups for younger families. We've met a number of families through a few local churches in Monterey and PG.

Lastly you may have to adjust your expectations a bit depending on what you are used, like streets lined with families and young children. Some streets will have more kids than others. But it may not be what you initially expect. Either way it really helps to get out and meet with others at a park, the beach, etc...

Hope that helps some,

Derek

Thanks! it does help. no i'm not military, so military housing is not an option. i'm a newly single mom, finally found a job so i can get back on my feet after splitting from my spouse. so unfortunately, i won't have as much time and energy to put into developing my "community" in monterey as i'll be working full time when i get there. i have only a couple weeks to negotiate this whole move, and i'm doing it from So Cal, so I'm hoping to get as much info as i can and find us a good place to live. right now we live in a great place in terms of being kid friendly, and my kids are always outside playing with the neighborhood kids in an incredibly safe, public, grassy enclosure. i'm hoping to find something similar in at least that regard so as not to "culture" shock them too much. and obviously they love to have other kids to play with all the time, so it's important to me. i think the Parks at Monterey might be that military housing place i drove through. it was lovely in a planned suburban way. i just liked that it seemed family oriented and there were no fences so kids could run around and play with each other in the grass. do you see a theme here, as long as my kids are happy, i'm happy.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM

In Fort Ord opposite Frietshe Airfield are many apartments & townhouses that have been rented to civilians in the past. These may be some that are still being rented. My bil was paying a fair rent there.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,549,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In Fort Ord opposite Frietshe Airfield are many apartments & townhouses that have been rented to civilians in the past. These may be some that are still being rented. My bil was paying a fair rent there.
I had a coworker who rented a townhouse there starting in the late 90s (he may still be there with his family). He was not a government worker, just applied and was on a waiting list for a short time. The rent was pretty reasonable and he was grateful to get it. Another option if you work in Monterey is South Salinas (the only part of Salinas I'd recommend living in). Its a pretty fast commute to MRY (if there aren't any accidents on Hwy 68!). I lived in Salinas seven years and Monterey four years while working in an office in the Ryan Ranch business park area.

Securing a job in the Monterey area really isn't too difficult if you have any sort of marketable skills. The problem is they don't pay as much as the Bay Area while the cost of living is nearly as high.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
Thanks! it does help. no i'm not military, so military housing is not an option. i'm a newly single mom, finally found a job so i can get back on my feet after splitting from my spouse. so unfortunately, i won't have as much time and energy to put into developing my "community" in monterey as i'll be working full time when i get there. i have only a couple weeks to negotiate this whole move, and i'm doing it from So Cal, so I'm hoping to get as much info as i can and find us a good place to live. right now we live in a great place in terms of being kid friendly, and my kids are always outside playing with the neighborhood kids in an incredibly safe, public, grassy enclosure. i'm hoping to find something similar in at least that regard so as not to "culture" shock them too much. and obviously they love to have other kids to play with all the time, so it's important to me. i think the Parks at Monterey might be that military housing place i drove through. it was lovely in a planned suburban way. i just liked that it seemed family oriented and there were no fences so kids could run around and play with each other in the grass. do you see a theme here, as long as my kids are happy, i'm happy.
Yeah, you obviously have a lot to consider in a very short time. It sounds like your current neighborhood is a unique situation which would be hard to replicate just about anywhere else. And to try and find that in 2 weeks is a tall order. So you'll need to do the best you can with your initial move considering your situation.

This is exactly what we did. I was given a job offer and had a very limited time to find a place, sell our home in CO and make the move across country with our family. Needless to say it was stressfull.

So we found a little house in PG that we were ok with and lived in for the first year. It was close to the beach which we loved. But there were no children on our block at all. And the house was in need of a lot of repairs. Well, after a year my wife couldn't stand it any longer. So we started to look in the area for something more to our liking. And it was much easier doing so once living here. We could take more time being selective in looking for all the things we really wanted.

I know this is not ideal. We hate the act of moving itself. But we had to adjust our expectations based on the immediacy of the intial move. However it all worked out well in the end.

Check out that link I gave you to Pinnacle housing and call them. I talked to a coworker who lives on base (Upper Stillwell) and he said the housing is split between military and anyone else depending on which part you are in. So call them and see what you can find out.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County