Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM

212 posts, read 475,990 times

Advertisements

So, I've been offered a job... a really good job... and well, it's in Fresno.

Now, I know Fresno. I know Fresno from many, many years ago, but not in the last few decades.

I've been there once in the last few weeks (interview), but I'd like to know the practical side of living in Fresno. Can I get some pros and cons about Fresno/Clovis. Hopefully a list of the best parts of living there, and the worst parts... Housing, Insurance, Hospitals, Utilities, Weather, Outdoor activities, Restaurants, Shopping, Schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,679 times
You need to identify if you want to rent or buy... if so, how much... are schools a huge issue? All the chain restaurants are here... some good local stuff. I'm not a big fan of the healthcare here. People with means go to L.A. or S.F. for serious stuff. Housing was way up a couple of years ago but back to more reasonable prices now. Weather is 40-50 and gloomy in the winter... sometimes 105 to 110 in the summer. Rainfall is very low but so is the humidity. Crime is better but still an issue for a city this size. Caucasian is no longer the majority... if that bothers you. If you can buy a home I'd still to Northeast Fresno or anywhere in Clovis north of Herndon. That's a very general statement but gets you started. Clovis schools rival most public districts in the state.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
You need to identify if you want to rent or buy... if so, how much... are schools a huge issue? All the chain restaurants are here... some good local stuff. I'm not a big fan of the healthcare here. People with means go to L.A. or S.F. for serious stuff. Housing was way up a couple of years ago but back to more reasonable prices now. Weather is 40-50 and gloomy in the winter... sometimes 105 to 110 in the summer. Rainfall is very low but so is the humidity. Crime is better but still an issue for a city this size. Caucasian is no longer the majority... if that bothers you. If you can buy a home I'd still to Northeast Fresno or anywhere in Clovis north of Herndon. That's a very general statement but gets you started. Clovis schools rival most public districts in the state.

You are quite right. I plan on buying in a year, after I get a lay of the land. Schools will be a big issue (I've already been told that living in Clovis eventually will be mandatory to get into good schools). I was actually hoping to rent in the north Clovis/Fig Garden area's and then buy in the Clovis area. Do you know how far out (northeast) the catchment for Clovis school district goes. I'd love to buy a few acres (in all honesty, this is likely a pipe dream though...)

I'm very interested: what do you not like about health care in Fresno?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Congrats on the job happening. I think we built a pretty good starting list for you before on this thread about shopping, activities, etc.:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/california/982708-fresno-madera-visalia.html

What additional specifics are you looking for now?

I'll give you a few dining suggestions, if you have a specific taste mention it and someone can add some info. These may be more upscale or ethnic than you want to know about but are places we enjoy.

Just to throw in something more casual, two suggestions for burgers. Colorado Grill (a local place) has a couple of locations. Also Fresno has the only Habit Burger Grill location in Northern California outside the Sacramento area.
http://www.coloradogrillfresno.net/

Bistros - A few I like are Cracked Pepper Bistro and Veni Vidi Vici in Fresno and Trellio in Clovis. Cracked Pepper has some great tasting stuff including a nice eggplant appetizer. Trellio uses many local and organic products.
Cracked Pepper Bistro
http://www.venividivicirestaurant.com
Trelio Restaurant

Peruvian - Members of the same family that has the SF restaurant opened Limon in Fresno.
Limón Peruvian Cuisine, Nuevo Latino Fusion, Latin Restaurant, Catering, Fresno

Szechuan - Hunan Restaurant is home to probably one of the best Szechuan chefs on the west coast. He previously cooked in the Bay Area but wanted to have his own restaurant and purchased Hunan in Fresno. The main menu is typical Chinese food but his chef's menu and special foodie banquets brings his fans from LA and the Bay Area.
The Hunan Restaurant - Chinese, cuisine, restaurant. Fresno, California.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/551796

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Do you know how far out (northeast) the catchment for Clovis school district goes. I'd love to buy a few acres (in all honesty, this is likely a pipe dream though...)
In general terms Clovis Unified runs north of Herndon/east of Van Ness all the way north to Friant Dam and including the town of Friant, and east of Clovis Ave south to Kings Canyon Rd into rural areas east of the city. This map might help.
https://www.city-data.com/school/Clovis-California.html

Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Fresnofacts,

Thanks a million! I've been pouring though the archives; thanks for all the information you've provided to others. And to the other consistent local posters.

Thanks for the foodie suggestions.

One other thing, is there a general decent online calender for local events? I found the "Blossom Trail" pics. Wow. I just don't want to miss some local traditional events.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM

I've never found a good comprehensive event calendar that I consider easy to work with. Most of the local online calendars cover too much geography (Visalia to Fresno to Merced) or seem hard to navigate.

Probably the Fresno Bee calendar is as good as anything to use. Click the event type on the left for different ideas of events/concerts/etc..
Fresno Events & Entertainment Calendar - Fresno Bee
The CVB calendar is also pretty good.
Events Calendar - Fresno Events
And the Arts Council calendar is good for the arts like galleries, theater, ArtHop (1st and 3rd Thursdays), etc.
Events - FresnoArts.net

I don't know if your move will happen during summer but there are some nice family summer events like several concert in the park series (Fresno, Clovis, Kingsburg, etc), CSU Summer Arts (a CSU system wide program hosted by Fresno State, some great professionals in various arts lecture/perform), farmers markets in different locations (Clovis on Friday night is probably the best), etc.

The Ringling Bros circus and the Miss California pageant are both in town in July if you are into more traditional events.

We like a number of summer events but I might suggest some of the zoo's events like ice cream zoofari in August for the family or Safari Night in September for adults as nice nights out.

Busiest times of the year for events/festivals are spring/fall, too much out-of-school travel in summer and holiday stuff in the winter causing competition. But still nice winter stuff like several Christmas Tree Lanes (along Van Ness, Huntington Blvd, and in Clovis), holiday concerts, symphony and opera seasons, etc.

I've been hearing some nice shows/concerts being announced for the rest of this year. The Radio City Rockettes will perform their holiday show in Fresno in December, concerts this fall ranging from Jonas Brothers at SaveMart Center (if you have any fans in the family) to county fair acts in October like Montgomery Gentry and oldies like Sammy Hagar or Blue Oyster Cult, theater like the national tour of Beauty and the Beast in November, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
FF, what do you think of Shanghai Chinese Cuisine on N. Blackstone?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM

I haven't been to Shanghai in a long time and then it was only once, I don't get into that part of town for meals much anymore. So I would be hesitant to say anything one way or the other based on that.

For me, it just didn't seem worth the extra 10 to 20 minute drive based on my own preferences. Not bad just not outstanding when I can find other Chinese places I like closer to work or home.

I'm on some food boards once in a while looking for ideas and updates. Shanghai seems to get mixed comments of good/bad so probably depends upon the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California