Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times

Advertisements

Have you seen Triple D, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network with Guy Fieri? They showcase local mom and pop restaurants, and they are all very good, and popular in the locale because their food is good. Yet, I know most of them are a single restaurant with no other locations. But why not open more?

Like Geno and Pats in South Philly. If they are so good, and the original, why not open more restaurants and maximize the brand? Not too many of course. Their setup is quite simple and easy to transport elsewhere. And some of these hot dog places like Rutt's Hut in NJ, or that Pink's in LA. Like the cheesesteaks, hot dogs are an easy process. Or like Primantis brothers. They now have nationwide exposure thanks to that show. Why not have a national Salt Lick (bbq in Austin) chain? They do have a large dining area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yet, I know most of them are a single restaurant with no other locations.
But why not open more?
They're wary of what is called "The Two Store Blues"

What makes them successful (aside from catching lightening in a bottle) is that Joe or Tom is there
everyday and on top of all that is their domain. The odds are very much against repeating.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They're wary of what is called "The Two Store Blues"

What makes them successful (aside from catching lightening in a bottle) is that Joe or Tom is there
everyday and on top of all that is their domain. The odds are very much against repeating.
At some of the places that offer a much more extensive menu, and more gourmet options, I can see that having Joe or Tom being on top would be important and almost impossible to repeat. But at some places the process is so simple and menu simple, and the principles are not there all the time. They hire guys off the street, and have select people they trust to be there overseeing everything. I know this to be true for Rutt's Hut (hot dogs) at least.

But I can understand them being wary. Yet, with so many of those out there, you would think some would at least try it. There are plenty of successful restaurateurs who do own more than one restaurant.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
There's certain business models which can't be scaled or they will lose what it is that makes them so great. Most of these restaurants have a very passionate owner/operator/chef. You can't hire someone who is going to have that same passion and care.

People who want profits focus on food costs and gettin stuff cheap not quality. People who focus on quality and a good dining experience put that first and profit after. Look at the places on these shows and the quantities of even expensive ingredients like lobster, crab, etc they put in their food. Go to any chain restaurant and you will get like 3 little shreds of crab in a crab bisque where as DDD there's like a half pound of crab.

One of my favs in Chicago is the White Palace Grill.

Also, these chefs and operators are passionate about cooking and doing what they do. To expand and scale it they would become more a manager and businessman and that's not what they enjoy doing,t hey like cooking or working front of house and talking to their customers.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
OP, there's a business opportunity for you. Ask the owners if they will sell you a franchise and you can have them teach you their methods and then you can open an identical restaurant in a different city.

If it is the shoo-in that you think it is, you have a winner of an idea there.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, there's a business opportunity for you. Ask the owners if they will sell you a franchise and you can have them teach you their methods and then you can open an identical restaurant in a different city.

If it is the shoo-in that you think it is, you have a winner of an idea there.
My goal is to one day open a restaurant and expand. But that is way down the road.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
There's certain business models which can't be scaled or they will lose what it is that makes them so great. Most of these restaurants have a very passionate owner/operator/chef. You can't hire someone who is going to have that same passion and care.

People who want profits focus on food costs and gettin stuff cheap not quality. People who focus on quality and a good dining experience put that first and profit after. Look at the places on these shows and the quantities of even expensive ingredients like lobster, crab, etc they put in their food. Go to any chain restaurant and you will get like 3 little shreds of crab in a crab bisque where as DDD there's like a half pound of crab.

One of my favs in Chicago is the White Palace Grill.

Also, these chefs and operators are passionate about cooking and doing what they do. To expand and scale it they would become more a manager and businessman and that's not what they enjoy doing,t hey like cooking or working front of house and talking to their customers.
As I mentioned, the places that serve gourmet dishes, and have extensive menus will have trouble expanding because of the reasons you stated.

Yet, the hot dog places are already scaled. They buy their product and sell by the unit. As for the BBQ places, from what I understand, many of the popular ones sell by the weight. So in that sense, they are also scaled already.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 PM

As it turns out, Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh does have multiple locations

Primanti Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Part that, and part is that customers go to these places precisely because they aren't chains with a bunch of locations. Open up clones in different cities (or even the same city) and they suddenly become just another restaurant in the public's mind.

And...many of those places on DDD aren't that great. I've been to a few and it's rather hit or miss. Some are genuinely good establishments that would be packed even if they didn't get on the show. Others are thoroughly meh and only attract an audience because people see them on TV.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
A lot of people probably don't want the headache of multiple locations if they are doing well.

Another reason might be that they don't have the cash to expand and can't or don't want to take on loans.

People might be doing well with a business, but spend most of what they make.

You could say the same thing for any popular business, a popular bar , liquor store, ice cream store,etc.

I guess not everyone wants to expand and grow a chain.

I think there is also a big fear (whether true or imagined) that stepping away or having a location where you aren't there all the time will result in lower sales or quality. Can't physically be in more than one location at a time.
I even with the big chains that people think are consistent..I notice a big variety in quality and service.

To do this right (expand and grow) you really need to have the right systems in place and great employees.

You should read the E-MYTH if you are interested in this . It's all about working ON your business and not IN it.
The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It: Michael E. Gerber: 9780887307287: Amazon.com: Books

In any business you have to think what the best use of your time is.

If you can have someone doing the cooking as good as you and that frees up your time to focus on marketing for new business for example or developing new locations that could be a much better use of your time.

It's hard to bring in new business when you are stuck in the kitchen.

Look at Wolfgang Puck...even though his name is on his restaurants...he obviously can't be cooking at all of them.

He makes his money these days from working ON his business and brand..not on hanging out in the kitchen.

He's promoting books, doing interviews, meeting with various people , talking to a lot of attorneys , architects I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business