Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,102,242 times

Advertisements

okay so I run an ecommerce business. i do a free bonus gift with every order. Its a small item costs me about 0.30 cents but has a higher perceived value and my customers love it. I have to buy these bonuses in one chunk or lot of 100 and then give one to each of my customers and sometimes more for larger orders.

Last year my accountants said because I dont have proof I gave htem away the money I spent on them is basically considered as income.

How can I account for giving away a free bonus. Btw, I use quickbooks if that matters. Also how do I show proof this was a bonus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
You either misunderstood what they told you or you need a new accountant.

There is no way an expense = revenue. What I would do is set up a "promotional item" expense account to record this item.

The easiest way to handle this is to record it as a non-inventory item using a "promotional expense" account. When you make a purchase you credit cash and debit the promotional expense account. If you want to track this item as inventory make it a "Non-inventory item" setting up the cost as .30 cents and the selling price as "0.00". Make sure you set the expense account to promotional expense.

You do not have to "show proof" it was a bonus. All you have to do is not record any revenue from the "sale". It is just a promotional expense.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I'd have it listed under "promotional expense", which I list with the advertising expenses.

Not that the IRS is ever going to care for proof that you bought 1000 pens to give away and then really gave them away. If nothing else, they are going to allow that purchase as office supplies, and not ever think they were for your own personal recreational use. So they aren't going to question it.

On the other hand, that 10 million dollar yacht listed as promotional expense is going to take some fancy explaining on your part. It might be a legitimate promotional expense, but expect to have to very carefully prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business