Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM

34,285 posts, read 83,805,335 times

Advertisements

based on this thread...
it would seem that there is a market for a commercial kitchen that can be leased on short term basis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,494,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
based on this thread...
it would seem that there is a market for a commercial kitchen that can be leased on short term basis
Hah! That's a great idea.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,223,730 times
A market is not created by singular demand....

There would have to be sufficient local demand, but that is unlikely to occur outside of the urban core of a major city.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
A market is not created by singular demand....

There would have to be sufficient local demand, but that is unlikely to occur outside of the urban core of a major city.
The problem is that even on the local level, there is plenty of Mom and Pop competition in this particular category. What's more, the major distribution channel for this will be grocery stores, which are now almost all regional concerns with regional buying. Having schlepped it to meetings with grocery buyers, I can tell you how tough it is to get a slotting on behalf of clients. I've done it, mind you, but the system is rigged against the smaller maker.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM

34,285 posts, read 83,805,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
... I can tell you how tough it is to get a slotting on behalf of clients. I've done it, mind you, but the system is rigged against the smaller maker.
and (aside from martydom) the only reason to do all selling work that is to be "positioned" so one of those big guys is motivated to buy you out.

If you're in in it for the product itself? You're toast before you even start.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
and (aside from martydom) the only reason to do all selling work that is to be "positioned" so one of those big guys is motivated to buy you out.

If you're in in it for the product itself? You're toast before you even start.
Yup. Although I have to say that there are two packaged goods clients that I've worked with who have made it. But those are definitely the exception. Unless the OP just is doing it for the love of it, he needs to find a distribution channel fast or look forward to a lifetime of selling it out of the back of his car.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,173,401 times
Quote:
based on this thread...
Some communities (larger cities) have tried this.

What usually works best is when someone who already owns a licensed commercial kitchen that has "downtime" has a "light-bulb" moment and begins to rent it out. It's a nice way for limited-hours restaurants, churches and community centers to make a little extra change.

What might be really useful would be a website that would compile, list and rank all such available kitchens in any given metro area. Sort of an "Angie's List" for aspiring food producers.

You can send your royalty checks to: plaidmom at .....

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,921,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Anyone had a home recipe and began a home business?

What should I expect to pay in % commission to someone, to get me customers?
Example: I give a few bottles to friends to taste test, pass around, and get some customers?

Any real hope of getting it, into family owned restaurants, etc?

Thanks.
Echoing the previous posts regarding home created concotions being illegal to sell commercially. You would need to have an FDA approved kitchen prior to commencement and insurance in case of ill effects to the consumer. There would be minimum bottling requirements which means inventory and space for same.

It is correct to state that visual presentation and marketing is the number one item if a product is to succeed or otherwise. Favorable pricing for all levels of distribution as well.

My family owned a restaurant chain with a distinct BBQ sauce. I researched the cost of creating own sauce for retail use and decided it was not feasible without extensive capital investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business