Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times

Advertisements

Easiest meaning, can be operated by one person, and has very low overhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM

41 posts, read 88,534 times
Mlm

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
one on one direct personal service

anything from housekeeping to financial planning
(competence and licensing as needed being assumed)

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
How about selling at farmer's markets or flea markets? Does anyone know if it's legal in most places to sell homemade baked goods at FM? I've noticed that most people who do have a business name but I'm not sure if they just make that up to sound more professional or whether they have to have a storefront as well to sell at them.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
We are in the US so almost everything is extremely regulated... I would say try to think of something new for which there is no regulation...or start a business illegally and if you make money then try to get in compliance with the law...LOL

Look, in the US if you sell food, you're opening up an entire regulatory can of worms... The reason others have a business name is probably to protect themselves from liability...since you may be sued or get into legal trouble. If you have a business entity, then the other party may sue the business and not you...

Hmm easy business to start...honestly I can't think of one in the US. IN a lot of other countries you could simply start selling your stuff...granted you may give people food poisoning or whatever...but it is a little easier...

Whatever you do, make sure you spend the money and get a business entity if there's a chance for liability. It is a pain, but it may save your home or reputation one day...

You can try selling something non-edible...that's 100% safe...Something for which it is unlikely you'll be sued or audited or taxed...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How about selling at farmer's markets or flea markets? Does anyone know if it's legal in most places to sell homemade baked goods at FM? I've noticed that most people who do have a business name but I'm not sure if they just make that up to sound more professional or whether they have to have a storefront as well to sell at them.
The regulations on food safety will vary from state to state, so you must check with your local authorities.

Many states will not allow the sale of prepared foods unless they come from a licensed/inspected commercial food kitchen (or bakery).

You'll also need to comply with applicable sales tax requirements. Some states tax food ready for consumption, some tax all food sales, some exempt food sales from sales tax.

At that, I'd call a bakery operation on any sizable scale more than a one-person business. I know one lady who bakes cupcakes for our local Farmer's Market ... sells out every time ... and it takes her and her two daughters to bake 400 cupcakes and bring the product in to the market, set up her tables and signage, and handle the sales. They could probably sell 3-4 times that number of cupcakes each sale day, but it's way too much work for them to do and their vehicle isn't big enough to bring in that much more product. She rents a commercial kitchen for the hours it takes to prepare and bake her products.

OTOH, we've got a couple of bakeries that do sell at our Farmer's Market, and they have hundreds of loaves of breads and specialty pastries for sale each sale day. But they've got commercial bakery proofing and ovens for their products, and several employees to help with the operations.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

50 posts, read 128,927 times
Probably the easiest is reselling items on eBay. My wife does clothing, she finds name brands at yard sales and flea markets then resells. Start up is minimal, maybe $100 in purchases, set up a paypal account, set up a shipping account on USPS and get at it.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
If you're asking because you want to find a business to go into, I would suggest you do something you are good at and enjoy doing, and not pick a job just because it is "easy to start".

If I told you "baking cookies" but you can't stand cooking, are you going to bake cookies?

Or is this simply a theoretical exercise? If so, I'd say "prostitution".

Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Lawn mowing.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
She rents a commercial kitchen for the hours it takes to prepare and bake her products.

OTOH, we've got a couple of bakeries that do sell at our Farmer's Market, and they have hundreds of loaves of breads and specialty pastries for sale each sale day. But they've got commercial bakery proofing and ovens for their products, and several employees to help with the operations.
I wonder how one goes about renting a commercial kitchen? Or even looking into it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business