Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times

Advertisements

Apparently people do leave really valuable things in storage auctions. Super Man Comic Book valued at $1,000,000 found in a storage auction.

YouTube - $1,000,000 + Superman Comic Book obtained via Storage Auction 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM

53 posts, read 160,325 times
Too bad that's a a one in a million find. For a storage facility owner, storage auctions are as much of a problem as they are an opportunity. Some of them just consider the whole thing a headache:

The Good, The Bad, The Storage Auction at Self Storage Blog: The Storage Facilitator

Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
The comic book belongs to the insurance company that paid off Nicolas Cage.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Interesting, I was talking to an "old timer" today, whose children "helped" him clean out his house...he told me that they threw away all this "valuable" stuff...who knows...maybe they did?! He had lived in the same house for 94 years. Imagine that!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
What I find so incredible is that someone would pay $1,000,000 for a comic book.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,259 times
You may find valuable object, but they are most likely stolen. In this case, I think the comic book was stolen from Nicholas Cage.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
You may find valuable object, but they are most likely stolen. In this case, I think the comic book was stolen from Nicholas Cage.
You have absolutely no basis for what you are saying? Have you ever even been to a storage auction? What makes you think most likely valuable items are stolen? Anything to back up anything you have said?

I'm assuming you say it's stolen b/c why would somene leave something valuable right?

If someone falls behind on their storage bills and doesn't have family support or friends to loan them money they lose their unit, yes even if it has something really valuable in it.

Could be an older person died and their family didn't know they had a unit. Could be someoen went to jail and could no longer pay on a unit. Could be any number of things.

I bought a unit for $400. Had a 50" Phillips Plasma tv, pottery barn furniture, an antique bamboo chair worth about $500, bins and totes full of Thomas the Train toys about $500 worth even at used prices. About $200 worth of Pokemon cards. Sporting goods equip high end tennis rackets, etc. Basically a whole house worth of stuff.

From what I could gather it was a pretty well to do family because they obviously owned a very successful business, had tons of awarsds, etc. From what I could gather from the unit they moved to the phillipines and either forgot about or just deserted the unit.

If you've seen storage wars or auction hunters those shows are totally fake/staged. The real thing is nothing like that. 99% of the time you find average household crap, garbage cans, boxy old computer monitors, maybe a heavy old 27" tv, clothes, maybe a mattress or two.

There's defiantely money to be made but its more money you'd make at a fela market selling small dollar items. Its not like the shows where you buy unit with silver or some valuable antique and take it to your expert who quickly gives you 10k for it.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

24 posts, read 50,383 times
What a find! I remember listening to a program a couple years ago that talked about the people who make a hobby out of buying off the stuff from abandoned storage units. Apparently there are a bunch of people that do it, but most of the time they don't get anything of much value.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschi 415 View Post
What a find! I remember listening to a program a couple years ago that talked about the people who make a hobby out of buying off the stuff from abandoned storage units. Apparently there are a bunch of people that do it, but most of the time they don't get anything of much value.
Shows like storage wars are completely fake/staged. I have bought over 200 units and have never found a piece of history, rare antique, etc.

That's not to say I havn't made some money and bought some great stuff but its tends to be your average household stuff, at the most maybe some gold or silver which is great but I'm not finding John Wilkes Booth origional wanted posteres or anything crazy like that.

Also your completely right, mmost of it is your average household stuff. You can make some great money but you gotta spend weekends at flea markets, have garage sales, etc. Its not quite as easy as hey I found a vase lets take it to my expert and he offers me 10k for it.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:52 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What I find so incredible is that someone would pay $1,000,000 for a comic book.
I wonder the same but there are many people out there who have money to throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business