Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,927 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a company that does this, and how are their rates compared to PayPal?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM

45 posts, read 143,461 times
Look at quickbooks/intuit payment processing. We just switched over to them for this service for our small business. We have used their software for years and found this streamlines our accounting and credit card processing.

We have switched processors several times looking for a better rate or when the processors have gone out of business and this was the easiest switch ever.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Yes; we were approved with Intuit yesterday but they don't do any graphics design stuff and sent us to GoDaddy, and GoDaddy just told me that in order to get a shopping cart integrated with my current webpage, I would need to hire a web developer. That's not something I want to do.

We will probably hear from Termnet soon. I'm not willing to re-design all our pages. I think Termnet may have something, but I don't know. We already have the PayPal button, but I wanted to add just CC processing, but not if it's a huge problem.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Actually I talked to Godaddy again, and I guess I didn't present the issue correctly, because they can do what I need for $50/month. So that solves the problem; it's just a matter of doing it.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,555 times
My two cents.. I have a web based company and alot of what I do is learned the hard way. Meaning I spend countless hours studying various forums for enlightenment. Based upon my own research I opted to go with Godaddy as my webhost. I use their website tonight product and I am able to maintain my own site. The owner of Godaddy Bob Parsons was a grunt Marine in Nam and I am an ex Marine so I like to keep it in the family. I use a company called Chase Paymentech/Authorize.net as my credit card processor. They have the best fee and rate structure that I have found. Their set up costs are very fair. DO NOT ever use a company called first data corp/yourpay. I used to use them and they totally suck. Fees are excessive and they have a $25.00 chargeback fee. Their system is down quite often and the tech support is terrible. Currently I use Quickcart.com as my shopping cart. They let you build your store for free and only start charging once you go live. For a small company it is $15.00 a month for up to 25 products. You have to get a shopping cart that is compatible with your credit card processor and Quickcart seemed like the easiest one to set up. I still use paypal occasionally for certain customers that are paranoid but it is less than one percent. Good Luck an God Bless.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 AM

@ncguy444 Thank you for your response.

>> I spend countless hours studying various forums for enlightenment

I do this, too. But I'm curious to know why you didn't use GoDaddy for your shopping cart also? Don't they also offer that..or am I misunderstanding?

I like the idea of supporting the ex-Marine. When I talked to them, the first person was way too impatient. The second one (Marky, I think it is) was much more patient, but when I said I had to talk to my (actually non-existent) partners, he sort of caved and asked to talk to them, like he wasn't talking to the real boss of the outfit, which happens to be me. Hard for him to understand that a female voice could be the boss??

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,555 times
At the time which was jan2009 and it was all a blurr trust me on this it seemed to me that in order to use chasepaymentech/authorize.net you have to use a compatible shopping cart. According to my blurred memory Godaddy was not compatible at the time but it may be now or maybe Godaddy had no shopping cart at the time. I really don't remember totally. There was so much going on at the time with building my new site and trying to run my businesses. Quickcart is OK as a shopping cart but if Godaddy offers one you might be better going with them if you can use chasepaymentech/authorize.net with it. I believe that the less people you have to deal with is better than more.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 AM

>> At the time which was jan2009 and it was all a blurr trust me on this

:-)

Well at this point, I am satisfied with Paypal. My card expired this month and they sent the new one to my old house, mid July. When I didn't get it and asked them about it, they wanted all new info on me, tax forms, my first born child, etc. So I was inquiring about the other services in the interim. But I got it all straightened out and I'm sticking with Paypal now. It's just easier than rewriting code on 26 pages and changing a format my customers are used to.

Paypal -- pro and con? I like it. I know people complain about it, but it seems to be working for me, albeit they were fussy about security (which is a good thing, really). [I.e., my OP is moot at this point. ]

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Never used paypal, so can't address that. I use CCNow - they charge a small, around 4%, per transaction, and NO monthly fees! An no merchant account needed! Also, they have the shopping cart code you just copy into your page, tailored for each item, for free. I've had the account for around 10-11 years, and haven't had a lick of trouble.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Never used paypal, so can't address that. I use CCNow - they charge a small, around 4%, per transaction, and NO monthly fees! An no merchant account needed! Also, they have the shopping cart code you just copy into your page, tailored for each item, for free. I've had the account for around 10-11 years, and haven't had a lick of trouble.
That looks like a really good service; thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business