Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 AM

53 posts, read 179,217 times

Advertisements

What abt this "mud season"? Does everyone need 4 whhel drive? What abt when people go to work, how can one wear heals in the mud?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post
I read in another post something abt bugs, are there plenty bugs there?
In more rural properties yes. In Burlington, just your typical mosquitoes etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
What abt this "mud season"? Does everyone need 4 whhel drive? What abt when people go to work, how can one wear heals in the mud?
I've lived in Northern New England for 21 years and in Vermont for 12 years. I've never owned a 4-wheel drive vehicle and never needed one.

Wearing heels is another issue. When in a muddy area, best to wear boots and change into heels when arriving at the pavement. Come to think of it, I've worn heels maybe twice since living here. Vermont is very casual, which I enjoy.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
From your description of yourself you sound like you'll fit in well in Burlington. There's plenty to do, there are lots of liberal young vegetablearians, with and without tattoos, and the political and social climate is quite liberal.

For an idea of events, attractions, politics, and life in and around Burlington it's worth visiting the web page of Seven Days, the local "alternative" paper.

www.sevendaysvt.com

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The lack of sun in Burlington could get to you from HI. It's one of the cloudiest places in the country.

Don't do it!!!!!! If you were from Nebraska or Ohio or Minnesota, I'd say go for it. But you are coming from a veritable tropical paradise! The cold, snow, and gray skies might be a novelty for a year, but after that you will be incredibly homesick and yearning for the warm sun on your face. And tattoos? Forget about it, honey! You're not gonna see any tattoos from October til May with all the layers of clothing everyone has on.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Don't do it!!!!!! If you were from Nebraska or Ohio or Minnesota, I'd say go for it. But you are coming from a veritable tropical paradise! The cold, snow, and gray skies might be a novelty for a year, but after that you will be incredibly homesick and yearning for the warm sun on your face. And tattoos? Forget about it, honey! You're not gonna see any tattoos from October til May with all the layers of clothing everyone has on.

Could be. I know two transplants from Hawaii now living in the Rutland area and they're very happy here. They've done at least two winters. Let's see how they do in a few more years.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 AM

I love Hawaii, but the constant weather does get to be a bit redundant. (Ok, its amazing here I'm just spoiled) Plus, I may be able to get a good job in Burlington, and as a single mom that is what is more important. Is a shame all tattoos will be hidden......I am sure it will be a culture shock as well as I will probably feel as though I have frozen solid but I actually prefer cloudy rainy days. My ideal location is Seattle but alas, no job. I have always been interested in the New England area (Dork alert: my REAL ideal location would be Stars Hollow if only it weren't fictional) Does VT get significantly colder then the rest of the east coast?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
Does VT get significantly colder then the rest of the east coast?
Depends on what you means by the east coast. Northern Vermont gets much colder than NYC or Boston or other coastal areas. It's getting cool now.

Don't fool your self-cold means really cold, not just a few days in the 30's and 40's. Think days on end of subzero.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Depends on what you means by the east coast. Northern Vermont gets much colder than NYC or Boston or other coastal areas. It's getting cool now.

Don't fool your self-cold means really cold, not just a few days in the 30's and 40's. Think days on end of subzero.
I turned the heat on this morning for a few minutes

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Does Burlington feel like a city, or is there any of a small town feel? Is there a sense of community, or do people stick to themselves? I'm jealous about you turning on the heat, is has been sooo hot here lately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT