Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 15,911 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband works for Homeland Security and we just received notice today that his 18 month transfer assignment in Virginia is instead taking place in Williston, Vermont. Few things about us- we have an 8 week old daughter, a dislike of snow, and absolutely no familiarity with Vermont. Needless to say, I am in a panic.

HSI provides the monthly housing stipend which limits us to month-to-month leases. Long term housing at the Residence Inn in Colchester has been suggested to us but I'm dreading the thought of living in essentially a hotel for the next year and a half, without family, and snowed in with a baby. Any insight on the facility and surrounding area would be much appreciated. Is there anywhere to walk her in the stroller or would I had to take the car everywhere?

I had the idea of reaching out to some apartment complexes (which were hard to find) and explaining the situation to see if any of them would consider a month to month lease for the 18 months. Bayberry Commons Apartments said they would do it, but I'm not finding much on the internet about them. I see there might be some construction. Again, any information about the complex, area, construction etc would be greatly appreciated.

I had my ducks all in a row in preparation for our move to Virginia and I'm overwhelmed to start over with a new city and such short notice. I'd appreciate any and all tips. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:17 PM

63 posts, read 99,600 times
Hopefully your husband makes decent money, as Williston is the suburbs of Burlington and that whole area is amazingly expensive but it's workable on a single-income family (sounded like you work as a stay at home mom, yes?).

Burlington area gets about 75" of snowfall a year, which for me isn't bad but I live in an area where 150" is mild.

First, Williston has several parks that are very kid friendly. I realize your daughter is only eight weeks right now but it's something. There are sidewalks in Williston has families are moving out of Burlington proper and into places like Williston, so the area is developing.

Burlington is a very short car ride (15-20 minutes) away and will provide amazing opportunities for your family.

I unfortunately can't help much with regards to apartments, sorry.

I moved up here from North Carolina and as a 31 year old, I love the area. Sure, there's tons of snow but it's snow and not ice like back in NC. I'm about 3 hours from several major cities, a bit over an hour from Burlington, etc so there's plenty to do.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
Hopefully your husband makes decent money, as Williston is the suburbs of Burlington and that whole area is amazingly expensive but it's workable on a single-income family (sounded like you work as a stay at home mom, yes?).

Burlington area gets about 75" of snowfall a year, which for me isn't bad but I live in an area where 150" is mild.

First, Williston has several parks that are very kid friendly. I realize your daughter is only eight weeks right now but it's something. There are sidewalks in Williston has families are moving out of Burlington proper and into places like Williston, so the area is developing.

Burlington is a very short car ride (15-20 minutes) away and will provide amazing opportunities for your family.

I unfortunately can't help much with regards to apartments, sorry.

I moved up here from North Carolina and as a 31 year old, I love the area. Sure, there's tons of snow but it's snow and not ice like back in NC. I'm about 3 hours from several major cities, a bit over an hour from Burlington, etc so there's plenty to do.
Money isn't our concern. We're currently based out of Manhattan/Long Island and are used to expensive costs of living. Im on maternity leave from my job currently but yes, I will be a stay at home mom for the duration of our stay in Vermont.

The suggested housing is in Colchester but good to hear that there seems to be things to do in the surrounding areas. And as for the winter, fingers crossed!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Since I grew up in that area, I should point out that Montreal is only 1.5 hrs away ( you'll need a passport, though).
You can probably find a good home in Williston, not far from his office. Colchester is a bit further away, and north of Burlington, while Williston is east ...

The area in general has risen in cost pretty substantially in the last 30 years or so, as many UVM/St. Michael's College grads have decided to stay in the area. The population used to consist of native Vermonters, but is now filled with urban Northeaster types who have changed the surroundings. The prices won't shock a Manhattanite, but definitely will make a rural Vermonter gasp..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:32 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
A good place to look for rentals is the local alternative weekly, Seven Days. It will also give you a lot of information about the scene, local activities and politics, etc.

Every town in Vermont is also served by Front Porch Forum, an online community e-mail system with community discussions, housing ads, items for sale, etc.

Vermont is a great place to live. I hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,722 times
Hi my husband also works for the dept of homeland security. We have spent a lot of time in Vermont over the years and he recently took a permanent job here. We were at the residence inn for 6 months once. There's nothing walking distance and there is no shuttle service except to the airport. They recently built a homewood suites in south Burlington. It's located around some restaurants and shopping but there is also a shuttle that will drive you around the area. We live less than 4 miles from Williston in a townhouse. We signed a 1 year lease but the lady allowed us to add an exception which would allow us to break the lease if it's for work. The sonesta in Williston was just remodeled, you can call the hotel directly for availability and rates. I will send you a message with the name of the place where I am living.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:45 PM

671 posts, read 854,309 times
If you are from Long Island, you may want to live in Burlington. Where exactly in Williston, Vermont is your husband working? Is commuting a possibility?

Also, for housing, I don't understand why you can't get a regular lease. Your husband has a job. What makes you need to have month to month?

Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
If you are from Long Island, you may want to live in Burlington. Where exactly in Williston, Vermont is your husband working? Is commuting a possibility?

Also, for housing, I don't understand why you can't get a regular lease. Your husband has a job. What makes you need to have month to month?
My husband's job reimburses us for the housing costs and they say month to month only in case his assignment is cut short (although he says that's never really happened). It's nearly impossible to find a month to month lease so for that reason, most agents doing a temporary assignment stay in corporate housing or an extended stay hotel. Corporate housing doesn't seem to exist up in Vermont so our only option would be the extended stay hotel and that just really isn't going to work for us. I got an email today from a hotel representative boasting nearby amenities such as "a gas station"

So I decided instead to reach out to apartment complexes and see what their leases entail and what the lease termination penalties are. At this point, we'd rather risk having to spend our own money to break a lease than live in any of the hotels. I've been blindly searching online and contacted some places but would love more direction on good walkable neighborhoods and some reputable apartment complexes. Something newer with parking available. Again, we have a small baby that I'll be staying home with and I'd love to be able to take her out without loading her in the car. My husband will be working in Williston but any of the nearby towns will do. Any info is much appreciated!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
There are some newer complexes in Williston and South Burlington that are located within walking distance of shops, etc. Williston is a very nice community with a wonderful park, library and community center. I think you would be happier in Williston or South Burlington than Colchester. There's also a newer apartment complex right in downtown Winooski where you could walk to everything and still be just minutes from Burlington. I agree that the lease breaking fee might be your best bet rather than living in a hotel. Here are some links. Good luck!

Finney Crossing | Vermont Apartment Rentals in the Burlington Area

Dorset Commons Apartments - 2 and 3 bedroom apartments on Dorset Street in South Burlington, VT

http://www.keenscrossing.com/

Old 09-21-2016, 05:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Check out this place: Not a hotel and they do month to month. It is on a busy road but there are some nice residential neighborhoods for walking behind the property.

LARKIN REALTY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT