Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,386 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I'm considering a move with my family to Burlington. Can anyone tell me about how often you get sunny days in winter? About how many days do you have snow on the ground in Dec, Jan, Feb and March? I know that there are numerical stats out there, but what is your subjective experience? Also, is Burlington a good place for Asians? Is there much of an Asian community? Would an Asian feel at home there? Finally, I have heard about fighter jets flying over the city. How often does this happen? Finally, what areas would you recommend for someone who likes quiet (ie, no barking dogs, noisy students, off-road vehicles etc)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,184 times
Gray days in winter are as common as rain in the Pacific Northwest. There will be some sunny days, but the majority of the winter is grey. Snow will depend on the year. Some winters will have snow on the ground all winter long while some winters will have very little or no snow on the ground. The Burlington area is more mild than the rest of the state. It can be 5 to 10 (sometimes more) degrees warmer than other sections of the state.
There is an Asian community in the Burlington area. I think you would fit in and find other asians in the area if that is what you mean in your post, but it is not a large community.
The Vermont Air Guard currently flies F-16s. They fly usually in the Chittenden County area and fly often. They are very loud. The new F-35 has caused a big stir because it is twice a loud as the F-16s. Poeple were hoping they wouldn't come to Vermont, but it looks like VTANG will get the new fighters. It depends on who you are. I personally love them. Most of the surrounding towns are quiet. Sections of South Burlington near the airport will also have commercial air traffic noise. Some days are worse than others and some days you hear nothing. If you don't want any noise, then you need to find a place in a rural area. The noise ordinace laws are similar to other states. 10pm to 7am are quiet hours and 9pm to 7am for machinery, power equipment, and construction noise. Certain exemptions apply such as emergency repair or construction work, authorized safety and emergency devices, approved utility and public facility work, snow removal equipment, and approved events by the municipality or by educational institutions. From time to time VTANG will run night flights for training. You will hear kids yelling a screaming as well as dogs barking, etc during the day. Unless it is rural area or a neighbourhood with no kids, pets, etc, there will be the typical amount of noise heard.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM

459 posts, read 1,037,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaiguy View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm considering a move with my family to Burlington. Can anyone tell me about how often you get sunny days in winter? About how many days do you have snow on the ground in Dec, Jan, Feb and March? I know that there are numerical stats out there, but what is your subjective experience? Also, is Burlington a good place for Asians? Is there much of an Asian community? Would an Asian feel at home there? Finally, I have heard about fighter jets flying over the city. How often does this happen? Finally, what areas would you recommend for someone who likes quiet (ie, no barking dogs, noisy students, off-road vehicles etc)?

Thanks in advance!
There's a large Vietnamese community in Burlington and the surrounding area. They are really the only Asians around.

You do know there are no professional jobs here, right? And that the cost of living is close to NYC?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,860,123 times
What brings you to want to move to Vermont? Just wondering what prompts others to move here since yes, others are right, jobs are scarce unless you have something lined up already.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM

986 posts, read 2,335,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
What brings you to want to move to Vermont? Just wondering what prompts others to move here since yes, others are right, jobs are scarce unless you have something lined up already.
My reasons for wanting to move there... slower pace of life, close to skiing (pretty much anywhere in the state is within an hour of a decent ski area, can't say the same about NH or ME), the scenery (yes, it's cliche, but it does make me enjoy life just a bit more), the hiking, the weather (more snow in winter, generally cooler summers), the people (contrary to what people say here, the people I've encountered have all been very friendly), the beer, the food, the music... and the syrup.

I find myself in a different state of mind when I'm there, and it's not just because I'm on vacation. I don't have that same state of mind other places, including NH and ME.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 PM

54 posts, read 166,908 times
Default Professional Jobs?

I'm not sure what BickleTravis considers professional jobs but I've only been here a month and have met almost no one who didn't have what I consider a "professional job" - several engineers, software developers, web developers, nurses, a couple of doctors, an attorney, a pathologist, college professor, high-level federal employees etc. When do Vermonters rank a position in the "professional" level?

Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM

54 posts, read 166,908 times
Default Cost of Living Index

[SIZE=5]Comparable salary in
[/SIZE]New York (Manhattan), NY

If you move from Burlington-Chittenden Co, VT to New York (Manhattan), NY

Groceries will cost:
45% more

Housing will cost:
177% more

Utilities will cost:
40% more

Transportation will cost:
16% more

Healthcare will cost:
27% more

[SIZE=5]Source: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html[/SIZE]

Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankwheat View Post
I'm not sure what BickleTravis considers professional jobs but I've only been here a month and have met almost no one who didn't have what I consider a "professional job" - several engineers, software developers, web developers, nurses, a couple of doctors, an attorney, a pathologist, college professor, high-level federal employees etc. When do Vermonters rank a position in the "professional" level?
I grew up here. Stupidly moved back 15 months ago, only to realize my bachelor's degree (not in social work, unfortunately) qualified me for warehouse work.
Friends of mine from here are realizing the same thing. The ones who went to college consider coming back to VT insane. The ones that went to college here got sick of waiting tables and left.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM

274 posts, read 674,250 times
My husband and I both have professional jobs here. I was recruited to come here and then he found his job once he was ready to look. And I work with over 100 people in professional positions. So there are professional jobs here....not saying it's easy since it never is in a low population area, but it's not as black and white as you can read on here.

Bickle - what about Dealer.com? They are hiring like gangbusters right now. Have you seen anything there?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
My husband and I both have professional jobs here. I was recruited to come here and then he found his job once he was ready to look. And I work with over 100 people in professional positions. So there are professional jobs here....not saying it's easy since it never is in a low population area, but it's not as black and white as you can read on here.

Bickle - what about Dealer.com? They are hiring like gangbusters right now. Have you seen anything there?
Oh no, thanks though. I'm leaving in December. Hop on a bus and see where I end up. Can't be worse than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT