Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 7,990 times

Advertisements

My wife & I & our 5 yr old son are relocating to the Buffalo area for work this summer but are having a difficult time finding a place to live. Besides Craigslist what other options would you recommend looking through for rentals?

We currently live in the Rochester suburb of Gates and are looking for a similar suburban setting. We would like to rent a house or half a duplex (side by side, not upper/lower) and despise apartment complexes.

I didn't think finding a place like this would be so tough but apparently it is. I don't even know where to look anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read my desperate plea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,547,378 times
You can also check MetroWNY ......

WNY News, Buffalo News, WNY High School Sports, WNY Classifieds, Metro Group | | Metrowny.com

and the Buffalo News listings are available to view online .....

Classifieds - The Buffalo News - breaking local news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and multimedia

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the links. Hope I find something soon. This is getting very frustrating.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_right View Post
Thanks for the links. Hope I find something soon. This is getting very frustrating.
Have you narrowed down what area you want to live in yet? The Hamburg Penny Saver is one of the best resources Ive found for rentals but I don't believe their listings are online. If you are interested in something in the Southtowns let me know how many bedrooms, price range & any other details that are important to you & I'll pass along any listings I find that match.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,907,417 times
Quote:
My wife & I & our 5 yr old son are relocating to the Buffalo area for work this summer but are having a difficult time finding a place to live. Besides Craigslist what other options would you recommend looking through for rentals?

We currently live in the Rochester suburb of Gates and are looking for a similar suburban setting. We would like to rent a house or half a duplex (side by side, not upper/lower) and despise apartment complexes.

I didn't think finding a place like this would be so tough but apparently it is. I don't even know where to look anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read my desperate plea.
Why is it so hard? Demand? Lack of housing? Price?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Have you narrowed down what area you want to live in yet? The Hamburg Penny Saver is one of the best resources Ive found for rentals but I don't believe their listings are online. If you are interested in something in the Southtowns let me know how many bedrooms, price range & any other details that are important to you & I'll pass along any listings I find that match.
Thanks. We've been looking for house rental, 2 bdr, with laundry hookups, about $800 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Why is it so hard? Demand? Lack of housing? Price?
I want to rent a house in the suburbs. Sounds simple, right? All houses are either $400 or $1400 a month. I would like something in between in the $800 range. Everything I find is either an apt complex or an upper/lower duplex, neither of which we like.

Looked at a few places yesterday in Lancaster & Hamburg but still no winners....

Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,821,854 times
Quote:
Thanks. We've been looking for house rental, 2 bdr, with laundry hookups, about $800 range.

I want to rent a house in the suburbs. Sounds simple, right? All houses are either $400 or $1400 a month. I would like something in between in the $800 range. Everything I find is either an apt complex or an upper/lower duplex, neither of which we like.

Looked at a few places yesterday in Lancaster & Hamburg but still no winners....
Try "The Bee" papers. You can find them at most major restaurants or town halls. Or just look online. There is an Amherst, a Lancaster, a Clarence.... basically one per town

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM

252 posts, read 650,414 times
It doesn't surprise me that it's hard to find a house to rent in the suburbs. Suburbs were historically designed to discourage renting and encourage home ownership. I'm sure there are houses available, they're just not that common.

There is a neighborhood in Tonawanda near Lincoln Park with a lot of side-by-side duplexes that look like they are probably rentals. The only other obvious rentals in the suburbs that I can think of are apartment complexes.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,494,727 times
I think side by side doubles are more common in the Rochester area. Embrace the two flat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area