Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 22,393 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a good new job opportunity in Palm Bay. The job is a perfect fit for me and I love the work I do.

Here’s the complication:
With this covid-19 going on, all interviews are done virtually. There is no on-site interview or the opportunity to visit the facilities, etc. To make it more fun, I’ve never even been to Florida in my life. Naturally I’ve been reading all I could and it does seem appealing. I know it gets hot, there’s humidity, bugs, etc. but at this point in my life I’m ready for a big change. I like that the houses I can afford are nice and not a little shack like in So Calif.

What are the current, 2020 edition, best areas to live in a 20 mile radius from Palm Bay? I can afford up to $375K for a house. I’d like a quiet area, clean, laid back, safe, and avoid a brutal commute. That’s my number one thing: no nasty commutes. It’s just the wife and I. Kids are grown.

From what I’ve read so far, it seems I should concentrate in Palm Bay and points south, not north like Melbourne because the traffic is bad. Is this true? If I focus in Palm Bay, what are the areas to avoid?

Is Vero Beach and coastal cities heading north towards Palm Bay seem to meet my wish list?

I also want to avoid redneck areas and sections where some people believe the civil war is still going on.

Is it really true what they say about so many bad drivers? I was shocked to see that my car insurance will go up a lot compared to So Calif.

It would be so much easier if we weren’t having this pandemic and I can go out there first and spend time exploring etc. but that’s not an option.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 12:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Many nice houses to find in that price range, some for much less. You may like it beachside even if a bit more time driving. Miles though won't be an issue.
May I suggest renting for your first year? Considering you have never been to the area, it is a lot different with higher humidity, bugs and weather in general (much wetter than in CA). Doing this will allow you to explore once down there without committing to a particular area. I find many people change their minds and then end up with the expense and aggravation of another sale/closing.
I have places in Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island and Palm Bay. They all have pluses and minuses but for different reasons. Getting down to sniff around first is always my recommendation and renting, if in a hurry to move, will likely give you many more options to consider without a major monitory commitment.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Renting does seem like the prudent thing to do.

Just looking through the various houses for sell listings is so eye-opening because there are so many beautiful homes at prices that just don’t exist in our current area. We’re in a cramped condo now and just the thought of seeing those 2,000 sq ft homes with pools etc is almost like lust to have. Add in the low interest rates it fuels that lust but yes renting for awhile is the sensible thing.

We’ve spent several weeks in the Yucatán in Mexico and got acclimated fine, so I’m hopeful we’ll adjust ok to Florida.

The new job will put us up in temporary housing for awhile and that will give some time to explore somewhat. Renting for awhile does seem sensible though because this is a huge potential life change.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:43 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinginbaja View Post
Hello all,

I have a good new job opportunity in Palm Bay. The job is a perfect fit for me and I love the work I do.

Here’s the complication:
With this covid-19 going on, all interviews are done virtually. There is no on-site interview or the opportunity to visit the facilities, etc. To make it more fun, I’ve never even been to Florida in my life. Naturally I’ve been reading all I could and it does seem appealing. I know it gets hot, there’s humidity, bugs, etc. but at this point in my life I’m ready for a big change. I like that the houses I can afford are nice and not a little shack like in So Calif.

What are the current, 2020 edition, best areas to live in a 20 mile radius from Palm Bay? I can afford up to $375K for a house. I’d like a quiet area, clean, laid back, safe, and avoid a brutal commute. That’s my number one thing: no nasty commutes. It’s just the wife and I. Kids are grown.

From what I’ve read so far, it seems I should concentrate in Palm Bay and points south, not north like Melbourne because the traffic is bad. Is this true? If I focus in Palm Bay, what are the areas to avoid?

Is Vero Beach and coastal cities heading north towards Palm Bay seem to meet my wish list?

I also want to avoid redneck areas and sections where some people believe the civil war is still going on.

Is it really true what they say about so many bad drivers? I was shocked to see that my car insurance will go up a lot compared to So Calif.

It would be so much easier if we weren’t having this pandemic and I can go out there first and spend time exploring etc. but that’s not an option.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Since it is just the 2 of you, I agree rent for a while and then choose. I assume you might be coming to Harris. Palm Bay is OK and has good areas Lockmar and Bayside area, but it is not a long stuck in traffic for hours commute anywhere from Viera to Vero Beach on the mainland or beach side. I would rent a condo on the beach look around, talk to fellow employees, etc. and then find a home to buy.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Since it is just the 2 of you, I agree rent for a while and then choose. I assume you might be coming to Harris. Palm Bay is OK and has good areas Lockmar and Bayside area, but it is not a long stuck in traffic for hours commute anywhere from Viera to Vero Beach on the mainland or beach side. I would rent a condo on the beach look around, talk to fellow employees, etc. and then find a home to buy.
Yes, L3 Harris is the place. What’s ironic is 10 years ago my current company out here hired a bunch of people from Harris to come to CA. I remember they all adjusted quickly and kept saying how the weather here is so much better. All of them are still in CA.

Some of those Florida homes look so gorgeous. Huge lots, beautiful architecture. The equivalent out here are all $1M plus. Even many homes in the Space Coast area that are $250k look amazing.

Living in a cramped condo for the past 10 years and seeing those beautiful homes within our reach kind of puts blinders on. We’ll do our due diligence and try to keep level headed. I just wish this pandemic wasn’t going on. It’s crazy we’re even seriously considering such a drastic change without ever even visiting Florida. ( my wife visited Orlando many years ago and remembers how green everything is compared to our CA desert)

Old 06-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, L3 Harris is the place. What’s ironic is 10 years ago my current company out here hired a bunch of people from Harris to come to CA. I remember they all adjusted quickly and kept saying how the weather here is so much better. All of them are still in CA.

Some of those Florida homes look so gorgeous. Huge lots, beautiful architecture. The equivalent out here are all $1M plus. Even many homes in the Space Coast area that are $250k look amazing.

Living in a cramped condo for the past 10 years and seeing those beautiful homes within our reach kind of puts blinders on. We’ll do our due diligence and try to keep level headed. I just wish this pandemic wasn’t going on. It’s crazy we’re even seriously considering such a drastic change without ever even visiting Florida. ( my wife visited Orlando many years ago and remembers how green everything is compared to our CA desert)
Yes, we are green even during drought time here for the most part. Back in 1998 when Florida had horrible fires all over the state and the whole Flagler County had to be evacuated some California fire fighters that came to fight kept mentioning that they did not expect the green palmettos to be tinder since they looked so green.

Sight unseen is a hard way to move. Most people either love it here or hate it here.

My husband worked for Harris for a while. It is a good place to work. Lots of good people there.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:06 AM

For those that know, how is the commute to Palm Bay from Sebastian and Vero Beach?

I’ve read in other places that traffic has gotten pretty bad, and that’s something we want to get away from. I don’t mind driving a little farther if it’s not a nasty, traffic filled commute. I’m guessing it will be better coming from the south rather than the north.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
For those that know, how is the commute to Palm Bay from Sebastian and Vero Beach?

I’ve read in other places that traffic has gotten pretty bad, and that’s something we want to get away from. I don’t mind driving a little farther if it’s not a nasty, traffic filled commute. I’m guessing it will be better coming from the south rather than the north.
We do it all the time. No big deal on US1 or 95. There is even a back way into Palm Bay getting off 95 going through Fellsmere and coming south on Babcock into SE Palm Bay. That is a 2 lane road so it does get traffic but not like in a city.

I am trying to figure out why people keep talking about bad traffic in Brevard County at all. They must come from little country towns out in the middle of no where. Bad drivers yes we have them but traffic? Mainly only for rocket launches.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

I am trying to figure out why people keep talking about bad traffic in Brevard County at all. They must come from little country towns out in the middle of no where. Bad drivers yes we have them but traffic? Mainly only for rocket launches.
Thank you. This is very encouraging to hear. I too was wondering how could the traffic be that bad but everywhere I read says it’s really bad. It’s nice to hear from someone that actually lives in the area.

To me, bad traffic is a place like Portland Oregon. That city wasn’t designed for its population and it’s really bad. Nothing but two lane highways, lots of bridges, and it’s just super crowded. That’s what we’re trying to avoid.

Some is fine, but not like Portland where it’s a 5mph drive for an hour and you get home all stressed out.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:14 AM

140 posts, read 142,462 times
Default L-3 Harris

My youngest daughter works for L-3 Harris and loves it. She and her husband live in West Melbourne.

Best,

Reddog53
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County