Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,706 times

Advertisements

I am single and have lived in Kississime and Orlando. I loved going over 2 Cocoa Beach every weekend at least one day of the weekend. I always wanted to stay there instead of going back to Orlando. Its so freaking crowded there. I was just thinking that I would like to move there, but after researching the job situation at least for now, it isn't something I could do. Maybe I don't know where to look online for job postings. I've tried Craigslist, and Careerbuilder. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNB View Post
I am single and have lived in Kississime and Orlando. I loved going over 2 Cocoa Beach every weekend at least one day of the weekend. I always wanted to stay there instead of going back to Orlando. Its so freaking crowded there. I was just thinking that I would like to move there, but after researching the job situation at least for now, it isn't something I could do. Maybe I don't know where to look online for job postings. I've tried Craigslist, and Careerbuilder. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Look to the area job source to find a job in Brevard County. Check out.....

Brevard Workforce - Home Page

Jobs are listed 5 days a week.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times
Sorry, I know this thread is old, but I had to chime in because I think I'm the only one that agrees with the disgruntled poster. Cocoa Beach is kind of a trashy little town with a "redneck" feel and not much to do. I'm a surfer so I've gone there before for the surfing. Everyone is right, the beaches are great and the water is warm. But me, originally being from California, was put off by the southern "redneck" culture and right-wing mentality. My fiance and I are an inter-racial couple and when went on the pier one evening to eat and there was live country music playing for a crowd of older locals. When we walked past they all stopped looking at the band and instead stared at us, with either annoyingly curious or even disapproving eyes. I've surfed next to locals with lots of tattoos and even a few mullets. I heard it was worse in the 70s. I heard some locals use to surf in trucker hats and jeans. There really is nothing to do there either. I don't care about seeing the space center or playing minature golf.

I'm not saying this place is not for everyone. Obviously, many people like it. I think a lot of the people who like it are originally from southern states.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,472 times
The Space Coast area on a whole is a run down depressing place. You really better like the beach because that's it. If you're in your 20's or 30's you better like smoking meth because most people your age around here do. Everyone from the area looks like life just punched them in the face, maybe it's the sun exposure. Don't even think about moving here unless you get a gun for protection especially if you decide to move to Palm Bay or Cocoa. It is a shame because this place is beautiful but the inhabitants are either right-wing nutjobs or are poor crime riddled despondents who have given up on any type of success in life. Your kids will all have kids by the age of 16 and at least 2 or 3 by age 20 so be ready to be a young grandparent. It's still far better than Orlando so don't even think about that area. God forbid you choose Miami. If you must move here than Viera is a possibility, or at the very least just make sure you get a place with a deed restriction otherwise you'll have to watch your neighbors park their pickup trucks directly on their frontlawn while knocking back beers all day long. Jobs? I don't think so unless you don't need to make anymore than $10 an hour maximum. If you're still interested please buy my house so I can leave this area for good.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,103 times
Default Agree with guyfawkes1314

I have to agree with guyfawkes take on this area. Having always vacationed in the panhandle, I assumed the Cocoa Beach area would be somewhat similar. I was sorely disappointed. I also found most people to be less than friendly if not outright rude. Maybe it is because I'm from the south where manners (ma'am, sir, please, thank you..) are a given. I remember almost having to defend myself on requiring my children to respond either yes sir, no ma'am etc. There is a huge population of rednecks with the stereotypical missing teeth, but most I encountered were the friendliest of all- willing to help out in need and invite you over for dinner, so that aspect was not a negative. My biggest complaints would be the awful buildings, the lack of true trees, the overkill of stucco homes and complete lack of culture. Those archaic flat top roofs everwhere you turn. The tiny little brick homes with not a window pane or porch in sight. Again, this disappointment no doubt bleeds over from my being raised in an area where tree branches stretch over the roads you are driving and beautiful, moss covered oaks are in most the yards, wrap around porches with swings and immaculate landscaping. Of course, all places have run down areas that need to be updated, but the Cocoa/Cocoa Beach area seems to be have been left behind in the late 60's. And just the statement that there are 4 non-chain restaurants is a testimonial to the lack of true cuisine. I used to wonder if restaurants were incapable of importing spices.
I moved away fast as I could and having lived in many different cities, towns, and states...Cocoa Beach/Cocoa/Merritt Island had by far the least to offer. I did enjoy the pier/beaches (except for the time someone shattered my car window and stole various contents) but give me the emerald waters and white beaches like the panhandle rather than the somewhat murky waters there that the gambling boats dump all their waste in daily.
To each his own...

Old 05-01-2011, 04:46 AM

15 posts, read 40,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern girl123 View Post
but give me the emerald waters and white beaches like the panhandle rather than the somewhat murky waters there that the gambling boats dump all their waste in daily.
While it's true that in the past some gambling boats would dump waste several miles out at sea there was a measure passed 3 years ago tomorrow that essentially stopped that practice. Clean Ocean Act Passed in Florida Legislature | SURFLINE.COM

Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 AM

15 posts, read 40,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern girl123 View Post
give me the emerald waters and white beaches like the panhandle
I wanted to add that I was in the panhandle a few months ago and though I didn't see emerald waters or completely white beaches I did see a few other things. The waves were small and the sun was low. The water was clear so you could see right through it. You could see the particulate. Tiny black granules about the size of a mouse dropping. In any one wave there were thousands. Along the coast and higher up in the sand there appeared to be billions of them. If pressed between a thumb and forefinger they turned into a greenish black oily ooze.

Based on what I saw not so long ago I can't imagine that area has been made pristine but I hope it will soon be restored to the way you once knew it.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Ya know it is sort of silly the way people cut down one beautiful area and praise another beautiful one. Truth be known all the beaches in Florida are beautiful for their own reasons. If ya want white sands and little waves with water your kids can sit down in a half football field out than I think....Wow, I remember Clearwater when the kids were little. We had a blast.

Destin draws the people of the midwest and the Southern states and they come back year after year so it must be a beautiful place to vacation. Never been there but it is on the bucket list with my Tallahassee trip. As for the oil references, My niece was there for spring break and it looks pristine. I hate to admit it but you can get tar on your feet sometimes from old ship wrecks, downed subs and planes from WW2 when they shift on the bottom, and boaters/ships that break the law and dump off shore. This can happen at almost any beach in the US.

If ya want endless shells the lower Gulf areas like Sanibel are the places to go. Want to snorkel then the Keys. Want nightlife on the beach than head to Miami.
Central East Coast is great for the natural beaches where the turtles come in all summer to lay there eggs, and if you want to try surfing. Families can vacation on a dime on the Space Coast compared to many areas, and you get to see history in the making here on a regular basis.

Want to drive on the beach Daytona Beach can't be beat.

Florida is vacation land and there is something here for everyone. It is also our home and people moving here need to find the right fit for them. As a buyer for a store, I quickly learned that I could not buy just what I think is beautiful, because surprisingly there are people out there that think what i think is beautiful is ugly and what I think is ugly beyond compare is beautiful to them.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM

39 posts, read 110,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Ya know it is sort of silly the way people cut down one beautiful area and praise another beautiful one. Truth be known all the beaches in Florida are beautiful for their own reasons. If ya want white sands and little waves with water your kids can sit down in a half football field out than I think....Wow, I remember Clearwater when the kids were little. We had a blast.

Destin draws the people of the midwest and the Southern states and they come back year after year so it must be a beautiful place to vacation. Never been there but it is on the bucket list with my Tallahassee trip. As for the oil references, My niece was there for spring break and it looks pristine. I hate to admit it but you can get tar on your feet sometimes from old ship wrecks, downed subs and planes from WW2 when they shift on the bottom, and boaters/ships that break the law and dump off shore. This can happen at almost any beach in the US.

If ya want endless shells the lower Gulf areas like Sanibel are the places to go. Want to snorkel then the Keys. Want nightlife on the beach than head to Miami.
Central East Coast is great for the natural beaches where the turtles come in all summer to lay there eggs, and if you want to try surfing. Families can vacation on a dime on the Space Coast compared to many areas, and you get to see history in the making here on a regular basis.

Want to drive on the beach Daytona Beach can't be beat.

Florida is vacation land and there is something here for everyone. It is also our home and people moving here need to find the right fit for them. As a buyer for a store, I quickly learned that I could not buy just what I think is beautiful, because surprisingly there are people out there that think what i think is beautiful is ugly and what I think is ugly beyond compare is beautiful to them.
Well said!!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 19,237 times
I went to Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr high school. Granted, that was about ten years ago, but I always thought that it was the best high school in the area (I went to Titusville, Cocoa, Rockledge, and Merritt Island) though MI is a close second. I know they used to have a program called the International Baccalaureate program for advanced students...which is a plus if you have a child capable.

At any rate, it was a great school...I never had any problems there. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County