Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,893 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am looking forward to visiting and hopefully relocating to Bozeman.

I am American (Black) and I am looking forward to being active in social groups and community service projects.

Unfortunately, the groups that I belong to are not in Montana and I would like suggestions for the following concerns:

I. Community Service. Community Service is very important to me. I like to be an asset to my community. What are your suggestions in getting involved? What community service organizations are available in Bozeman?

II. I am in the 35-45 age group. What social groups, meeting places, are available for a person within this group?

III. Since I will be a graduate student at MSU, I do plan to participate in many of their functions, but I am older and desire to be around people in my age group or older. Any suggestions?

IV. Any suggestions for places of worship?

V. Any suggestions for hair salons? I have straight hair. I usually get it cut at Great Clips.

I am excited about coming to Montana! I'm looking to surround myself with kind, neighborly people who are about treating others well and doing right by their fellow man.

Your kind words and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any comments about race and other hateful language need not to be placed on this thread. I am about being kind to others and others being kind to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,005,541 times
Congratulations on your graduate studies at MSU.

There are many, many organizations to work with in the community. I don't know what your interests are, but here are some suggestions.

Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley

If you are here in August, you can participate in this:
Calling All Women of Gallatin Valley | Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley

The animal shelter always can use volunteers.
Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter

The Human Resource Development Council can recommend projects:
HRDC Bozeman

Gallatin Valley Food Bank
http://www.thehrdc.org/programs/gall...ley-food-bank/

Gallatin County BBBS - Home Big Brothers Big Sisters

There are many people your age in Bozeman, both at MSU and in the community, so once you are here, just follow your interests and you will find them.

MSU students have an event in the spring called Take Back The Night
with Rock Against Rape to bring awareness to sexual assault.
MSU News Service - "Take Back the Night March" set for April 13

Here are a couple links of MSU student volunteer info.
Office for Community Involvement
MSU Service and Outreach for Community Engagement

For an excellent hair salon, I recommend Hip On Main, steffaniemorales@gmail.com
(406) 223-2011

Hope that helps!

Welcome to MSU!

h.i. in Bozeman

Last edited by happiness is; 06-05-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,973,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candigirl View Post
Hello All!

I am looking forward to visiting and hopefully relocating to Bozeman.

I am American (Black) and I am looking forward to being active in social groups and community service projects.

Unfortunately, the groups that I belong to are not in Montana and I would like suggestions for the following concerns:

I. Community Service. Community Service is very important to me. I like to be an asset to my community. What are your suggestions in getting involved? What community service organizations are available in Bozeman?

II. I am in the 35-45 age group. What social groups, meeting places, are available for a person within this group?

III. Since I will be a graduate student at MSU, I do plan to participate in many of their functions, but I am older and desire to be around people in my age group or older. Any suggestions?

IV. Any suggestions for places of worship?

V. Any suggestions for hair salons? I have straight hair. I usually get it cut at Great Clips.

I am excited about coming to Montana! I'm looking to surround myself with kind, neighborly people who are about treating others well and doing right by their fellow man.

Your kind words and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any comments about race and other hateful language need not to be placed on this thread. I am about being kind to others and others being kind to me.
I haven't lived in Bozeman for seven years, I attended college there so I can say it's a good university. Hopefully all of this information is current.

1. I think there are organizations like United Way and Boys and Girls Club, so that could be a start. There is also Eagle Mount and Reach which help disabled residents. Eagle Mount does outings to Bridger Bowl for skiing. There is also a big Special Olympics presence.

2. The Bozeman Symphony and Emerson Cultural Center have events pretty frequently and I'm sure you could meet people there. When I was in college The Cannery and Cat's Paw seemed like bars that catered more to the 35 to 45 age group.

3. As far as university functions, there are plenty of events at the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse and there are always games to go to. I'm sure you can round up some friends from classes to do that.

4. Bozeman has lots of churches to choose from.

5. I think there is a Great Clips and there is also Cost Cutters and Master Cuts in the mall.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,023 times
There are tons of opportunities to help the community and the environment. My Aunt and Uncle participate in the Blazing Saddles Bike a thon and they also volunteer at BBBS.

There are a lot of older students at MSU. There is a large married student housing population where most are in their 30's and 40's. You will find that even when it's 40 below and 4 feet of snow people still don't sequester themselves in their houses. They will, in fact be out and about town.

When my mom was attending MSU she worked with the activities department. There is always something going on. You also have The Elks lodge (though that crowd mught be a bit too old for you) and you can also ask to join the Masonic Lodge.

I've only been to the First Presbyterian Chuch in Bozeman and Four Corners Baptist church. Both are very friendly. I always loved vacation bible school at the baptist church. They would have a carnival with pony rides. My Grandparents are in the choir at the presbyterian church and told me just last week that the pews look a bit empty. They are trying to drum up membership.

I don't know if it is still there, but we used to go to The Clip Joint. I used to love that place. They sold peppermint hair conditioner

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I do appreciate all of your help and I am looking forward to being an asset to MSU and my future community.

Happiness Is: I hope to meet you one day!

Peace and Blessings!

Candigirl

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 56,632 times
candigirl, best of luck to you on your move! Maybe we'll meet at some point. I've been accepted to MSU for the fall 2012 semester but it just won't happen by then, but I can defer up to a year on my current application. Like you, I am a "non-traditional" student (36 yrs old).

Complicating factors for me are that I am married, we have an autistic person (wife's brother) that lives with us, we have a home here I guess we need to rent out (upside down on it at present), obviously need jobs and daycare. I have rescued my limit of pets (2 dogs, 4 cats), and I am not the sort to dispose of them just because I am moving, so finding someone to rent to us is going to be tough (though no one who visits us would even be able to tell we have them without seeing them). Don't know where work may lead after school, so not looking to buy. Would love to stay there if I could, though.

I'm anxious to get there, but my job won't allow a transfer until November, so we're thinking we'll get moved out there in about a year (during the good weather, start classes summer or fall 2013). That gives us time to get all our ducks in a row and save up a little cash.

I am active in church (ordained deacon), so church is going to be an important consideration for me as well.

I also hope to meet Happiness Is some day (very helpful posts)!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Heraclid,

I am glad to hear that I will have a fellow colleague at MSU!

I know that you will have all of your ducks in a row when you come to Bozeman!

I too, would love to meet Happiness Is

Keep me posted!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Hey, just came across this and thought you might be interested...

Intervarsity Christian Fellowship at Montana State University
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at Montana State University

Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Heraclid,

Thank you! I spent time looking at various offerings at MSU and I am quite pleased.

I am also looking at the local food movement with their CSA's.

I think I am going to like it here

Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM

I applied to and was accepted at three universities, and MSU has been far and away the most prompt, communicative, and just generally helpful of the bunch. I would say that my experience dealing with them thus far has been nothing short of excellent. By the time the University of Wyoming said boo to me, I had been getting to know several folks in MSU admissions and faculty for some time already. I feel very welcome and think it is going to be a great fit. I agree about the food. My Dad grew up farming in North Dakota, and one of the biggest concerns my wife has had about our moving is the availability of good sources of organically grown foods. I'm excited that they have a REI store! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman