Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 54,559 times

Advertisements

What is the economic base in Bozeman? How does the winter weather in Bozeman compare to Chicago's winter weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Being close to Yellowstone, the economy is powered by the tourist industry as well as Montana State University. Growing tech there as well.

Winters are 10-20 degrees F colder and about twice as snowy as Chicago. But you get a lot more sun which beats down hard and feels nice at Bozeman's high altitude. Summers are mild and dry.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 47,649 times
Unless you ski, the winters suck as you can watch the latest bombardment of snow come rolling in from Three Forks to sit up against the mountains - often for days on end. This continues throughout the year as Bozeman actually gets a good deal more precipitation than Seattle from May through September - 12.84(B); 9.3 (S). It gets old but the outdoor activities balance it out. I can't imagine how anyone can live there if they have no such interests.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM

40 posts, read 190,644 times
The weather is great except for about 2-3 weeks when it is downright frigid. I imagine Chicago as cold and damp. It is usually very dry here - winter and summer - low humidity. The sun makes the winters very bearable. When the sun goes down, it is a different story. Snow doesn't stop anything. The winters are longer than many other spots.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 47,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandapanda View Post
The weather is great
Ha, ha! Another transplant trying to soften the blow for those who want to join. Trust me, the weather in Bozeman is beyond painful. I would suggest Boise as the best alternative.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 PM

40 posts, read 190,644 times
We find the heat the last several weeks much more unbearable than the winters. Transplant? Get a life!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:59 AM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
Default winter vs summer

I agree, the last month has been unbearable with heat. We are not looking at something like 20 days straight of above 90 and about 8 days of 100 or better. Is this the new summers to come? I sure hope not. 102 in Bozeman yesterday!!! Also no end in sight.

Winters are cold and Bozeman gets lots more snow than surrounding areas.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
New York City summers are more mild than what Montana's been getting! It's ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Ahh, but it sure makes it nice for floating the rivers and gives you and excuse to be on the water all of the time!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,613 times
back to the economic base:

nymt was right about tech jobs growing here in bozeman. the city has been voted as the best place to start a small business in the country amongst mid sized cities bizjournals: Quality of life in small towns -- bizjournals.com (http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/41.html - broken link). there are many great opportunities here for tech jobs and startups. for one the techranch.org gets a huge high five from me. an indispensable tool for tech startups... the outsourcing of quality tech work and research to the university is another awesome boom for techies.

but alas, we always come back to real estate here in old bozeman don't we. who isn't involved in some kind of real estate here. a few years back they would give out a loan to a panhandler to start a construction business. twenty years ago i heard you could submit your new home plans on a napkin to the city. my how that has changed. real estate i think will be taking precedent over all other economic factors here very shortly. it is so sad to see the land go, but this is the crazy frenzy people fall victim to all over the country. nice land? build on it!

but the hospital and MSU cannot be forgotten when talking about bozeman's economy as well, employing approximately 1/15th of the town.

agriculture and livestock also accounts for 63 million in revenues in gallatin county, which also makes it number one in the state for milk, alfalfa, and potato production.

but what it really all boils down to is tourism. without tourism, no one would move here, the farms would be smaller, and MSU would be a backwater research facility specializing in snow sciences.

if you are a professional serious about moving here to start a business or work for one, i suggest checking this out: Prospera : Economic Profile (http://www.bozeman.org/Default2.aspx?ID=19 - broken link)

the weather is not bad. i think it is beautiful here year round. it gets cold but you get used to it, or die miserably on your couch while watching everyone else have fun in the snow. mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: