Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM

49 posts, read 175,337 times

Advertisements

While we were looking at houses in Boulder we fell in love with one on Left Hand Canyon Rd. It is part of the St. Vrain school district which would send our kids to Longmont. Looking at the St. Vrain boundary map, it looks like a very tiny part of Boulder goes there. My concern is that my kids would make all their friends in Longmont. I would want them to have friends in Boulder.

I have read about the open enrollment program and it looks complicated and not certain that you would be accepted. Anyone else live in Boulder and send their kids to Longmont to school?

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
I'm confused...what do you mean by your concern is they would make all their friends in Longmont...why is that a problem?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I agree. Considering where you would live if you bought that house, you'd have to drive them anywhere, anyway.

The OE process is complicated, but you could certainly try if it's that important to you.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:14 AM

I didn't mean to imply anything bad about Longmont. But rereading my post, it does sound aloof, I didn't mean it that way. I did not visit Longmont during our visit. I liked the town of Boulder and what it had to offer as far as activities. I liked the creek, rec centers, trails etc. I assumed we would spend our time in the town on weekends etc. Distance wise maybe it is just as easy to drive into Longmont. That's why I asked the question, I need advice from the knowledgable people here.

Last edited by sickofjerz; 07-28-2009 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks for clarifying. What age are your children? If you send them to a Longmont school, they will have bus service for school. As far as driving them to activities, when I looked at the map they would be zoned (from what I can tell regarding Left Hand Canyon) for Eagle Crest, Altona and Silvercreek. All are an easy, easy drive down Nelson from Left Hand.

Kids these days tend to do so many other activities outside of school and they mix with/get to meet lots of kids from different areas.

Longmont is a great town - different from Boulder, but a great town. We live close to those schools - within walking distance via a path, and I know people that send their kids there and are very happy. It's a good side of town. Funny thing is - as close as we live to those schools, we are zoned for other schools. My son goes to Niwot High school.

We love Boulder as well - my husband worked over there for years, my son was on the ski team and did biking with a group during the summer. But we also love our Longmont schools and being able to put him on the bus and not drive him to school....big plus. We spent a lot of time in Boulder when we first moved here as well, but believe it or not, the newness wears off.

The City of Longmont has some great greenbelts throughout the city. Some great community events,a number of rec centers, etc.

Also, the city has begun work on the new rec center that will be right there by all of those schools mentioned above. It's more than just a rec center though - it's a pretty big parks project:

Dry Creek Community Park, City of Longmont, Park Development

Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM

thanks for the good info! My kids are 9 and 11 now and I'd like to make our move in the next year (2 tops) if all works out. Looking at the map Altona is the middle school but the house info said Westview.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM

I would not trust what the house info said - I would go by the school district map and call them to be sure, but looking at the map, can't imagine it would be Westview.

If you end up buying a house up the canyon, you will be glad on bad winter days that they can get on a bus. Just my opinion. School is rarely, rarely closed here. If you open enrolled and were having to get up early to drive them to school, it may be a huge hassle after a bit making that drive.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. What age are your children? If you send them to a Longmont school, they will have bus service for school.
This is a good point. If you open enroll, you will have to provide your own transportation, to tow different schools at some points in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area