Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 22,755 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am relocating to the Boulder area and was trying to figure out how tight the rental market is. Has the economy slowed things down?
-

thanks
for your help,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidonlinecity View Post
how tight the rental market is.
It's tight, but loosening up for the summer-fall transition related to the local colleges and CU.

Quote:
Has the economy slowed things down?
Nope. Main factor right now is three years in a row of record size incoming freshman classes at CU, Boulder, eating up the rental supply.

Right now is a real good time to be looking for a place. Beaucoup supply has opened up on the market. By September it will be real slim pickings. After October you'll really be looking real hard if you aren't willing to pay big-money rents.

As usual around this time of year, a whole buncha youngish people moved out of town based on logic such as

A) Well I graduated from such and such school, college or program so now I'm moving back out of Boulder....

B) Whoa! Um, I don't think I can afford Boulder, I'm outta here....

C) Boulder's neat but I'm moving somewhere else in Colorado that I think is better....

D) Boulder sure is neat but I'm moving outta state to such and such state....

E) Boulder sucks, I'm outta there....

Rents are up about $100 - $200 over the past 18-24 months.

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 05-30-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: I am now a computer programmer and HTML expert....

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Wow, great info! Thank you!!!
It helps to know that there is a break in the mad rush for apartments...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Two years ago, my DD and her friend found an apt. in August for late August occupancy. It's not quite as bad in Boulder as in some college towns that I have lived in e.g. Champaign, IL.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Default Sister Cities Of Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
C) Boulder's neat but I'm moving somewhere else in Colorado that I think is better....
What cities, if any, are "rivals" of Boulder? :-)
Where do Boulderites vacation or move to in Colorado?
Breckenridge? Frisco? Durango? Telluride? Pagosa Springs? Ft. Collins?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Rents are up about $100 - $200 over the past 18-24 months.
Rents in my complex are only up ~$35 in the past 2 years ($20 this year, $15 last year), and less than $100 in the past four years. When I moved here in September after Labor Day, I was able to look at several apartments and sign a lease within 24 hours. There will always be some vacancies, just not as many during the off season (but prices can be better after the mad rush too).

Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
What cities, if any, are "rivals" of Boulder? :-)
Where do Boulderites vacation or move to in Colorado?
Breckenridge? Frisco? Durango? Telluride? Pagosa Springs? Ft. Collins?
All the places you mention above you will find ex-Boulderites add..Fruita,Steamboat,Aspen,Evergreen..I don't think Boulder really considers any other Colorado town to be a rivalry really,as no another Colorado town could actually be discribed as close in comparable... Today's Boulder =Santa Barbara California with Colorado geography/lifestyle IMO..both have very close pop. size.,liberal,educated,University,gorgeous surroundings,premium price tags and exremely regulated growth. Years ago when I was a kid I used to hear the Telluride/Boulder/Aspen comparison..but all those towns have totally changed..Denver was described as a cow town then..and I personally think it was..but another example how people hold past misconceptions/expectations to the contemporary Colorado. I Just moved back to Boulder from Denver..somethings I loved from my youth growing up here are now long since gone/but there are knew perks as well--balances out I suppose.. but can be kind of personally disapointing..As to the OP'S question... while other places struggle to maintain pricing ..Rents in Boulder have and are going up ..even in this economy..Best time to rent here is late April/May... or Oct-Dec.

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-05-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Default Renting In Smart Growth Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
All the places you mention above you will find ex-Boulderites add..Fruita,Steamboat,Aspen,Evergreen..I don't think Boulder really considers any other Colorado town to be a rivalry really,as no another Colorado town could actually be discribed as close in comparable... Today's Boulder =Santa Barbara California with Colorado geography/lifestyle IMO..both have very close pop. size.,liberal,educated,University,gorgeous surroundings,premium price tags and exremely regulated growth.
As you point out, Boulder and Santa Barbara both have Smart Growth, not sure about the others. It's difficult to rent in cities with Smart Growth since 1) supply is always very low due to restrictions on development 2) rent prices are high for the same reason.

Add this to the fact that everyone wants to move to liberal Smart Growth towns such as Boulder and Santa Barbara, so you have competition. Durango, CO has infilling, but no UGB (urban growth boundary, part of smart growth), so rents are 25%+ less than Boulder.

My generation (18-35) will soon be in political power, to reverse these smart growth policies, that have caused our parents' generation to become millionaires thanks to our rent monies!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input.
-
What do people think about Fort Collins as a second choice to Boulder?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your input.
-
What do people think about Fort Collins as a second choice to Boulder?
David, check this thread, which compares the two cities. If that doesn't answer all questions, add a new post to that thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area