Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:48 PM

670 posts, read 1,173,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakk877 View Post
Skiing is very important to me but most important would be hiking and backpacking.
Hiking in and around Boulder is awesome: ProTrails | Area - Boulder - Denver - Golden - Fort Collins - Lyons
ProTrails | Area - Indian Peaks Wilderness Area
Backpacking... you can be in the mountains in less than an hour - Indian Peaks Wilderness, Rocky Mountain National Park.
Indian Peaks Wilderness | Colorado's Wild Areas
Multi-Day Hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 AM

31 posts, read 42,136 times
Default Other areas in colorado

Also if Boulder is too busy there's other amazing areas in Colorado to live. Golden would be a great place to live its even closer to Denver or surrounding areas so you have to deal with terrible hwy 36 traffic. I don't imagine it's as expensive either. It sits right near i70. It's closer to the ski areas, but you will still have to deal with horrible traffic up i70 in the weekends,only the weekends though. I imagine there being super athletes there too as it has a lot to offer ie great rock climbing, mountain biking, para gliding, hang gliding, even kayaking and a kayak terrain park also. It has an excellent town too.( but sorry never lived there though) just visited a lot. Buenavista is a great small town it's right on the corridor to many great out door activites everything imaginable that you enjoy is right there! Crested butte is amazing! Telluride is incredible! Think that's the most amazing thing about Colorado, it's is the Mecca for everyone who enjoys the outdoors. Just make sure you get out camping

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 16,245 times
Thanks for those links Hipchik, thats great and i'll be reading all of them!!

Thanks to you too Kiwid, I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty sold on Boulder at this point. I also posted something similar in the park city forum and people basically just said that i should live in SLC, which is fine but if I'm going to live in a bigger city its Boulder. The only thing i really need to figure out is the living situation. I could spend say 1800 on a decent apartment in town and it would be easy to walk and bike everywhere and hopefully i would meet people, then i could always rent out of town in like the Longmont area for much cheaper if i wanted after a year and still have a close commute into the city.

If I am looking at a map of boulder, where are the places that i would want to live? Also do a lot of people ride their bikes to work in Boulder? It seems that at most places there the dress code is pretty relaxed so it would make sense, where i am now i have to wear a tie etc to work so there is no way i'm going to bike to work but i wish I could!!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:16 PM

You are welcome.
The population of Boulder is approximately 100,000. It is not a "big city" by any stretch of the imagination.
Boulder is very bike-friendly to the point of seriously trying to get people out of their cars and onto bikes. There are 300 miles of dedicated bikeways. Good info here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/goboulder/bike
If you have $1800 to spend on rent, no problem finding a place in Boulder.
There's not much of a "dress code" in Boulder. My fiance went to work in jeans and t-shirts, shorts in summer.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
You are welcome.
The population of Boulder is approximately 100,000. It is not a "big city" by any stretch of the imagination.
Boulder is very bike-friendly to the point of seriously trying to get people out of their cars and onto bikes. There are 300 miles of dedicated bikeways. Good info here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/goboulder/bike
If you have $1800 to spend on rent, no problem finding a place in Boulder.
There's not much of a "dress code" in Boulder. My fiance went to work in jeans and t-shirts, shorts in summer.

All of those things are great to hear, thanks!!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Boulder is nice and there's lots to do, but there is no diversity there, it's expensive and although they'd like to think they're "liberals", they have laws about and regulate EVERYTHING. There are plenty of mountains in Colorado and if you have a car you're never far. The bottom line is....do you want to live IN the mountains or close to the mountains? There are plenty of cool little mountain towns really close to Denver (Evergreen, Conifer). I love Estes Park, although the mountain activities are more related to summer, but the proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park is what sells me on it. There are other parts of Boulder County that you might want to look at...Niwot, Gunbarrel, Longmont and Louisville. Pretty much everyone here is outdoorsy, so that's not a problem. I moved here a year ago from NYC, and although I ended up buying a house in Westminster (I'm about 12 miles to Boulder and 6 to Denver), I love the location. I'm not sure what you do, but there seems to be no lack of jobs. There are always fun outdoors activities in all of the little towns. I would also consider Golden or Morrison if I were you. So many places between Boulder and Denver to consider!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violethemp View Post
Boulder is nice and there's lots to do, but there is no diversity there, it's expensive and although they'd like to think they're "liberals", they have laws about and regulate EVERYTHING. There are plenty of mountains in Colorado and if you have a car you're never far. The bottom line is....do you want to live IN the mountains or close to the mountains? There are plenty of cool little mountain towns really close to Denver (Evergreen, Conifer). I love Estes Park, although the mountain activities are more related to summer, but the proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park is what sells me on it. There are other parts of Boulder County that you might want to look at...Niwot, Gunbarrel, Longmont and Louisville. Pretty much everyone here is outdoorsy, so that's not a problem. I moved here a year ago from NYC, and although I ended up buying a house in Westminster (I'm about 12 miles to Boulder and 6 to Denver), I love the location. I'm not sure what you do, but there seems to be no lack of jobs. There are always fun outdoors activities in all of the little towns. I would also consider Golden or Morrison if I were you. So many places between Boulder and Denver to consider!

Thanks, I am in mid level accounting so should be easier to find a job in boulder than the mountain towns, if i were still 21 and didn't care about my resume so much I'd gladly live in a mountain town and work wherever i could find a job but now that I'm accustomed to being able to live comfortably I'd rather be close to what i love and still have the career. I'd like to live in the city at least for a year to see what its like, I've never lived in a city before and I've always wanted to, i know its not a city to you but i live in a town of 16k that is twice the size of boulder so I'm not used to being able to do anything without driving to a place. I'm excited to not use my car much and to have everything i want within a short walk/bike ride. After a year I'm not sure what I'll do, maybe i love it and i decide to stay in the city or maybe I'd rather have some land and be closer to the mountains and move out of the city. I currently have 38 acres and a cabin in VT and its my favorite place to go and be outside and in the solitary, so living out where there are less people is definitely an option for my future, but not before experiencing living in a "city" first to make sure that is what i want.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,966 times
You might like Downtown Denver. There are a lot of accounting jobs in the LoDo and plenty of cool neighborhoods. Boulder is great too...

Old 04-20-2015, 06:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,104,398 times
OP if you land a job in Boulder, you will have several interesting living options besides living in Boulder. My personal favorite is Lyons which is about 10 miles north and in my view underrated. Also Nederland which is about 30min west, but truly in the mountains. I advise you to check them both out.
Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Good Red your timing and mileage is a bit off for both Lyons and Nederland but they could be potentially good options for the future. Lyons was devastated in the 2013 flood and they are still recovering. I know a few people who had to relocate elsewhere.
(Lyons is 17 miles from Boulder- close to 25 min. drive, Nederland is just about the same distance and time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area