Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM

66 posts, read 137,954 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Lincoln, Nebraska right now, and know exactly what I want to do with my life. I want to pursue a masters degree in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Computer Vision, etc.)

Because of its proximity of Nebraska, (and I was born in Denver) I was thinking of the University of Colorado. How good of a technology school is Univ. of Colorado, as I haven't been able to find much about that specific department, other then their website at CU-Boulder Computer Science

The other school I was looking at was the University of Washington in Seattle WA which is my top choice right now, specifically for it's excellent reputation in technology (ranked 7th in the United States), and the availability of jobs in that area.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Top 50 Comp Sci Program:

Best Computer Science Programs | Top Computer Science Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

AI Ranks only go to 25 and it is not in them:
Best Artificial Intelligence Programs | Top Computer Science Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

Still I would say it is a good school, not Stanford or Berkeley, but good.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM

54 posts, read 72,455 times
Not worth out-of-state costs for CU vs. UNL.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaties View Post
Not worth out-of-state costs for CU vs. UNL.
Forgot to mention that I would gain residency in the state before attending college in order to get a job, and get a lower tuition price. Also, I would not have a car during college, as a way to save money and would rely on public transportation. Here, is where I believe UW has the edge, on top of job opportunities.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM

54 posts, read 72,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
Forgot to mention that I would gain residency in the state before attending college in order to get a job, and get a lower tuition price. Also, I would not have a car during college, as a way to save money and would rely on public transportation. Here, is where I believe UW has the edge, on top of job opportunities.
Make sure you know the rules:
Residency and Tuition Classification Regulations | Office of the Registrar | CU-Boulder

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM

91 posts, read 199,917 times
Good but not great. You'll have no problem landing a job either in Boulder or the greater Denver area when you graduate.

There are tons of fellow dorks in Boulder (hi!) but there are way more in Seattle. More innovation tends to come from the Seattle area broadly, as you know.

I like Boulder a lot but I'd certainly consider it a definitive second tier choice in your situation. Seattle is superior in every way.

Alas, right now it's overcast and crappy in Seattle, and it will be all week. It's 50 and comfortable in Boulder, and it will be all week. So there's that part of it.

And you can do both Seattle and Boulder without a car as a student, no problems. I know tons of people in Boulder who live well without a car. I would hate it but I would hate it in Seattle, too.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Ha I like your sense of humor. According to those residency requirements (and others I found) they all say that unless I'm 22 or older, I have to get emancipated? Not even crazy old nebraska is that strict (although here your not considered a legal adult until 19...go figure)

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
Ha I like your sense of humor. According to those residency requirements (and others I found) they all say that unless I'm 22 or older, I have to get emancipated? Not even crazy old nebraska is that strict (although here your not considered a legal adult until 19...go figure)
That is correct. Even after 22, it can be hard. You have to jump through all the hoops.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is correct. Even after 22, it can be hard. You have to jump through all the hoops.
The residency requirements for Washington are nowhere that strict, you just have to be 18, financially independent, and live in the state for a year. After that you're good.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Hey man! Was just wondering if you had decided on a school yet. I woke up a couple weeks ago with the realization that I want to become a researcher in AI. I was looking at boulder and some other schools. Haven't looked at Seattle yet. Colorado State in ft Collins actually looks really good too. And they have an AI research lab. That is an important factor to me. If the school doesn't care enough to have a lab dedicated to AI, then I'm not interested.
I've also been looking for specific AI tracks or at least HCI/HCC tracks. Also been looking at graduate and PhD levels so I can try to stay at the same school straight through. Do you already have a BS?

Sorry for the typing... sent from my phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area