Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times

Advertisements

from what I can tell by doing a google search..there are currently no gay bars/clubs in Boulder?

Kind of shocking considering it's a decent sized college town with a liberal-embrace diversity kind of vibe.

Am I wrong or is there some super secret gay bar around here? I don't like going to bars/clubs all that often but once in awhile it's nice and i dont really want to drive to Denver for such things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 PM

399 posts, read 817,279 times
As liberal as Boulder is, most of the college men are just as homophobic as the stereotypical heterosexual college male gets. =P I haven't heard of any gay bars around Boulder either but I haven't looked hard either way. I don't drink and I would be out of place there anyways since I'm a straight female.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
As liberal as Boulder is, most of the college men are just as homophobic as the stereotypical heterosexual college male gets. =P I haven't heard of any gay bars around Boulder either but I haven't looked hard either way. I don't drink and I would be out of place there anyways since I'm a straight female.
I'm more of a pub/craft brew kind of guy myself..and i wouldn't mind going once in awhile to have a beer or two, but sometimes it gets uncomfortable when a bunch of straight drunk guys notices that I'm with my boyfriend and want to start a fight over it But in general we havent had any problems while out and about but we arent exactly making out all over the streets either

Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM

399 posts, read 817,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
I'm more of a pub/craft brew kind of guy myself..and i wouldn't mind going once in awhile to have a beer or two, but sometimes it gets uncomfortable when a bunch of straight drunk guys notices that I'm with my boyfriend and want to start a fight over it But in general we havent had any problems while out and about but we arent exactly making out all over the streets either
Well I would just make sure everything is accounted for if such a situation would to escalate. Especially getting the names of the officers who come to quell the homophobes down. Sometimes even police officers are just as homophobic given their status in society regardless of how liberal a city is.

I would personally do it just to spite them for being annoyingly homophobic if I was a guy with a boyfriend. I love seeing people like that squirm in disgust. Ahahaha, I'm a complete sadist either way. If they're that homophobic and macho they should understand society doesn't see homophobia as a "masculine" attribute but as a coward attribute in their "man's world."

Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM

26,217 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Threads about "gay" issues often get out of hand.

Everyone please be forewarned that we will stick strictly to the topic posed by the OP; general discussions, rants, bashing, hate speech, etc, will not be tolerated and I will issue infractions and/or ban people as needed.

Those who do want to go "hammer and tongs" at this topic need to go to P&OC forum where there's a lot more leeway to vent.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 AM

7 posts, read 30,889 times
I'm gay in Boulder and feel completely isolated. I have no idea where or how to meet people, and please, don't say Prop Gay! That's once a month and it's impossible to actually talk to people.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbadboy View Post
I'm gay in Boulder and feel completely isolated. I have no idea where or how to meet people, and please, don't say Prop Gay! That's once a month and it's impossible to actually talk to people.
I hope I don't sound trite but have you tried meetup.com?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
With the advent of so many Gay online meeting sites, Gay bars are losing their usefulness, and don't be surprised to see the number of Gay bars decrease, over time, everywhere!

With Craigslist, today, you can hook up someone quicker than going to a Gay bar, as I've used that site frequently to meet people, and fewer worries about returning from a bar and getting a DUI.

I understand, there's some people who crave the socialization of Gay bars, people already hooked up with someone, and they go there without the desire to find a partner, but I'm not the social type at all, a true loner, haven't been to a Gay bar in Las Vegas in 10 years, don't even know which are still open, or where they are, or if they've all closed down! The few Gay friends I have here don't go to bars either, they resort to the online dating sites.

I'd do very well in Boulder without a Gay bar, or even Denver, as long there was online meeting sites.

Meetup.com you might try, perhaps a social group exists there you can participate in. Good luck to you!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-29-2012 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 24,256 times
There are absolutely no gay bars in Boulder. In fact, I would describe most "gay" men in Boulder as closeted, self-loathing, frat boy *******s. That's not to say that you can't go out and hook up with the occasional CU guy, but if you're looking for something real, you better look outside Boulder.

There's a bar here called Absinthe House that had a "gay night" called Flame (I know, gay, right?), and it has since fizzled out due to lack of interest. The only other gay option you have is something called Prop Gay. Unfortunately, Prop Gay only occurs once a month, presumably because the Boulder gay population only deems it necessary to show itself once a month.

Sincerely,
A Disgruntled Gay Person Who Was Told Boulder Was "Just Like Austin (Texas)"

EDIT: LOL and to those who suggest online meeting sites, let me be the first to tell you to go … well, to put it kindly, please go (mod cut). It's SO, SO easy to be a straight, white, wealthy person here who just says to "look on meetup/grindr/okcupid/whatever." How typical of them! The lack of diversity here in Boulder is seriously sickening. You know, I wouldn't care so much if Boulder were just some suburb place, but it is a COLLEGE TOWN. Jesus Christ, people. GAIN A LITTLE CULTURE! It's horrible. For that reason, I consider Boulder a suburb of Denver, and I don't apologize for it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Gotta keep it PG-13 in the forums.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Geez, sunshine, so sorry for us clumsy idiots trying to reach out and offer some support and advice to those who request it. If you’re really this bitter and unhappy here, well, there’s a very simple solution to that isn’t there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area