Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 AM

91 posts, read 199,764 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move into Nederland, which I adore. However, the drive into Boulder down Boulder Canyon is petrifying to me. Every time I drive on it I get aggressively passed by pissed off locals. I drive 35-ish up and down the mountain. Any faster and I get very uncomfortable around the bends in my pick up truck.

Is 35 too slow in your opinion? What do you do on Boulder Canyon? Do you consider this a stressful and difficult drive, or am I just being a big wimp?

Sorry for the odd thread. I really love Nederland but I feel like it will get old driving a stressful stretch every day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Most people don't feel as comfortable driving as fast in a pick-up because they don't have a low center or gravity thus don't corner as well, plus a higher propensity for rollover. To answer your question, yes, I drive the canyon faster than that although I don't love mountain driving. I also drive a car that handles very well though and offers good cornering which allows me to driver faster more confidently.

This is JUST me, but assuming your pick-up is rear-wheel drive, there's no way I'd want to make that drive in bad weather.

Last edited by Idlewile; 11-11-2011 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
I understand how the canyon can be intimidating to someone unfamiliar and uncomfortable with driving it.
Have you considered taking the bus? RTD service is very good.

I've been driving the canyon for 30 years. It is not stressful for me unless someone impedes my progress. The speed limit in the canyon is 40-45 mph. I observe the speed limit (mostly). My husband commutes every day, he drives 45-50 mph. I know that some of my neighbors drive closer to 50-55 mph in some areas.

Some locals do indeed get annoyed with someone driving 35 mph. If only people would be considerate and aware and pull over when there are cars behind them it wouldn't have to be an issue. There are many places to pull off. There are also a few passing lanes with signage to keep right. In my experience I'd say that 7 out of 10 people do not pull over and let cars pass. They never look in their rear view mirror. If I give a light tap on the horn and flash my lights to signal them to pull over, I usually get the middle finger even though they are in the wrong.

The summer tourist season is a pain. It's very frustrating when a slow moving, scenery gawking, petrified of every curve touron drives 25 mph when there are 10 cars behind him/her. If only they would pull over, relax, take some deep breaths, take some photos, let us pass and be on our way...

Last edited by Neditate; 11-11-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Thank you both very much for your opinions and experiences.

What kind of car would you recommend to better handle those windy roads? A Subaru I'm assuming?

Thank you.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
While it's subjective and plenty of people on here will tell you you don't need an AWD vehicle, since you actually ARE doing mountain driving in bad weather, aside from the curvy road, an AWD car would offer you the best combo of safety in bad weather, especially on a curvy, icy road. Yes, a Suby would be good or pretty much any AWD car. There are plenty of great 4WD SUVs (built on truck frames) that handle well in SNOW but usually not quite as well on ice and they are not going to corner as well because of a higher center on gravity and since you're sensitive to this I would shy away from them. Just to give you some ideas for AWD cars:
Top 10 All-Wheel-Drive Vehicles - MSN Autos

I actually gained a lot of confidence driving in bad weather consistently and over CO mountainous roads from my AWD Audi and while some people will say, "it really doesn't matter what kind of drive train you have in tough conditions, it's YOUR skill, etc..." I completely disagree. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Your elaboration has been very helpful to me.

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area