Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 32,181 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving out to the Boulder area (for work) sometime next year but probably not going to be staying there for longer than a year or two. So, I'd be looking strictly at apartment living since it doesn't make sense to me to own a house for such a short time.

I'd be coming from northern California where I pay over $1600 for a one-bedroom apartment (~800 square feet), so cost is really not much of a concern.

I'm curious to know which areas of places around Boulder (or maybe Boulder itself) would be nice to live in. School districts, parks, etc. don't matter at all since I'll be out there alone.

Work would be out near Gunbarrel and it's moderately important that I be within a half-hour drive of there, preferably less. I would consider this of secondary importance to the area being a nice place to live.

Downtown areas, shopping, restaurants and so on don't really matter to me. I'm ultimately looking for a place with a minimal crime rate and fairly nice housing. I'd prefer a place that's a bit more conservative rather than liberal, though that sounds like it might be hard to come by in the Boulder area.

I'm thinking Louisville or Longmont. Any suggestions on places (or parts of town) to concentrate on? I'm planning on traveling out to the area later this year to get a feel for places I'd like to live.

Thanks,

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,019 times
Maybe Longmont. Others can chime in here. I doubt Louisville would be a good fit from what you're saying.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Gunbarrel, Niwot, and Boulder would all meet your criteria. Don't worry about liberal/conservative; it's not going to impact your life when you're living here for a year.

Gunbarrel itself has many apartments and condo rentals. It's safe and quiet; you might even find a place where you could walk to work.

Niwot is small, and very quiet. Gunbarrel and Niwot blend together at points. There's a development there that has many condos that are rented out, and there are some townhomes that are rented.

Boulder has plenty of nice, quiet rentals when budget doesn't limit you. For what you're willing to pay, you could find something good in Boulder. Boulder offers a "more urban" type of experience than Gunbarrel or Niwot, and depending on exactly where in Boulder you would be, Gunbarrel might be a ten minute drive. Gunbarrel is the far northeast part of Boulder.

From what you've said is/isn't important to you, you might as well just live close to work; it doesn't sound as if you want to interact much with your environment, and safe is all around there.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Louisville has a low crime rate and nice housing. It also has a downtown and lots of other stuff that isn't important to the OP. It takes ~ 15 min to get to Gunbarrel from Lsvl.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 32,181 times
Very good, thanks all for your help! Hope to drop by the area in the near future to take a look.

- Brian

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 37,253 times
My husband and I actually moved out to the area about 6 months ago from the Bay Area. We know exactly what you mean about prices...we were paying $1575 for a small 2 bedroom condo rental. Husband got a job in Boulder and absolutely loves it (loves his job and location...he was commuting to Richmond before so completely different environment)...swears we will never move back!

We live in Longmont and it takes my husband about 20-25 minutes to get to work...he works in North Boulder. So if your job is close to Gunbarrel that would put you even closer to Longmont. Gunbarrel, Niwot and Boulder itself are great areas, but can be pricey, especially Boulder. I would say it depends on how much you have to spend and want to save. In Longmont, I know there are a couple apartment complexes on the west side of town near the airport, which would keep you close to highway 119. Not sure how much they run for, but they would definitely be cheaper than the other places. We are renting a 4 bed/2.5 bath house in Longmont for $1450.

Louisville and Lafayette are nice too...but since they are so close to Boulder, 5-10 minutes...their prices can be a little high as well.

Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 87,353 times
Boulder can be surprisingly conservative on some things. I would highly suggest you check out North Boulder. It's a quick drive or bike ride to gunbarrel, there are some nice neighborhoods where you'll find a condo or townhouse to rent.
The other suggestion would be to check out the Powderhorn complex in gunbarrel.
If you don't mind being fairly remote, check out Lyons or Niwot.
Louisville is going to be too far away and won't meet your 30 min commute requirement.
Longmont isn't as nice as the other places, but it is cheaper. It's much like any other suburb in the US.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTiger View Post
Boulder can be surprisingly conservative on some things. I would highly suggest you check out North Boulder. It's a quick drive or bike ride to gunbarrel, there are some nice neighborhoods where you'll find a condo or townhouse to rent.
The other suggestion would be to check out the Powderhorn complex in gunbarrel.
If you don't mind being fairly remote, check out Lyons or Niwot.
Louisville is going to be too far away and won't meet your 30 min commute requirement.
Longmont isn't as nice as the other places, but it is cheaper. It's much like any other suburb in the US.
To Gunbarrel? We live in Louisville, went to church in Gunbarrel for years. It was 8 miles away, 15 min. max. It's probably closer than most places in Longmont are to Gunbarrel.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,679 times
Hi,
I have a question also. I am moving from Oakland to look for a job in Boulder. I rent a studio for $650 and can afford up to $800, at least until I get a job. Does anyone know areas that are not that far from Boulder where I could rent an apartment? I plan to drive there in a month or so to look for an apartment and job. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area