Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,826 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on living on the Newton/Brighton line? I'm looking at a place there that seems great. It's on the Newton side near the Mass Pike.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle082 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on living on the Newton/Brighton line? I'm looking at a place there that seems great. It's on the Newton side near the Mass Pike.

Thanks in advance!
I know the area well. It's a nice area with express bus service to Copley and downtown Boston (though only at weeday rush hours--it can take a while via 57 bus to T at other times). If you are used to urban life, there are not a ton of stores, etc., within walking distance south of the Pike, though there are a couple of stores on Tremont St near the city line (Ricker Rd/Cufflin St). There's a bit more north of the Pike, near Galen St, which is also OK although aesthetically I prefer the area south of the Pike.

There is some nightlife in Brighton (neighborhood pubs with a population mid-20s to mid-30's, locals, professionals, grad students), but getting home from downtown Boston late at night, especially from other than Kenmore Square, could take a while unless you drive or take a cab. There are also some restaurants, bars, etc. down Watertown St (Rt 16) in Newton a bit to the west, in Nonantum ("the Lake"), near Adams St and West St.

Newton Corner is also right near the Pike entrance at Exit 17, giving easy access to Boston and points west by car. I had a friend who drove to work from Brighton Center to the Seaport area, getting on the Pike there instead of Allston, and it took 15 mins max. It was more like an hour by T because he didn't work at hours when the express bus ran downtown.

The area is quiet and semi-suburban. I wouldn't call it urban in the sense the Back Bay or Central Square are urban, but it's nowhere near as suburban as other parts of Newton or the towns farther out.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 109,073 times
i completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston