Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,513 times

Advertisements

I have friends looking to relocate to the greater boston area. Schools are a main concern. We were advised to look into Bedford as they have a K-6 school (same campus). This would make life easier as they have 5 kids.

Does anyone know about the schools in Bedford?

Also, dad will be commuting into Mass General. I see that there is a commuter rail station in Concord. Any guess about the commute time?

Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Bedford schools are good and it's a nice area. There are many school districts in that area that are quite highly regarded so some of the others may have somewhat better reps, but I would not worry about Bedford's.

The commute could take a while. Depending on where in Bedford you're coming from, it could easily take over 15 mins to get to the Concord station, and there is fairly limited parking at the Concord train station. You've got to factor in some buffer time (can't get to the station 30 seconds before the train leaves every day). For MGH, he could take the train to North Station and walk a few minutes over (easier than taking 2 T lines downtown). Otherwise he can take the train to Porter Square and change for the Red Line, which goes right to Charles St/MGH. But the train to North Station is 45 mins and the train to Porter is 30-35 mins or so, and then it's another 15-20 on the T. So I'd say it's minimum an hour.

Another possibility, particularly if he goes in early, is to drive to Alewife and take the Red Line there. There's a big garage for $5/day, but it is often full by 8 or 8:30. The Red Line from Alewife to MGH would take maybe 20 mins or so. Route 2 to Alewife can be slow in the morning rush, though, so it may not save all that much time.

Arlington, which is much closer to MGH, has schools K-5 and then Ottoson Middle School is 6-8. I think other towns also tend to be K-5.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,513 times
Dear Holdenxxx,

Thanks so much for that reply. We have been kicking ideas around about where to jump into specific research into towns out here in MN. I grew up in Melrose but left in 1984 so it's a different ball game now.

We are hoping to keep the kids on the same campus for 2 years which will land us in grades 3&4 and 5&6 for the two older kids. That is more difficult than I thought and I hear the Charter schools have waiting lists.

The estimate of 1 hour commute is helpful, I'm not sure what they will think of that.

A former roommate of mine told me to consider Mansfield as the commuter rail parking is free for residents. Although I told them that they could probably get more house for the $ South of Boston, a friend of the Mom's was a big fan of Bedford schools.

Thanks again, it is snowing here in MN today!!!! Not sticking, but still....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston